• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

The "Grill -n- Chill" Run

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member
It was so much fun! Great planning, Daniel!

Here's a teaser:

ZICG7RV.jpg
Not as cool as the drone footage, but here is the lineup of grey and black cars w/o Jeff’s sweet 200. Also the trail down to the dunes.

Attachments

• C42FBA8F-033E-4422-AD46-3F765F7B967C.jpeg
    C42FBA8F-033E-4422-AD46-3F765F7B967C.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 7E76FCB3-D01C-444E-A34D-9F7491BE052A.jpeg
    7E76FCB3-D01C-444E-A34D-9F7491BE052A.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 165
  • FDE2B4C8-33A4-4362-BCFC-4B3A2A979CEC.jpeg
    FDE2B4C8-33A4-4362-BCFC-4B3A2A979CEC.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 160

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
@Ann and I are in for the Flat Tops Trip.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Here's where it stands. If I missed your ask, correct me please! If you have not yet, post up your preference.

If we get more than 8 lets keep adding to the list and we'll see what we can figure out. No reason there cannot be two groups on the trail and everyone at camp! Its chill!

I'm off to Perry's Victor run and back online Sunday.

Attachments

• Grill & Chill List 6.18.20.pdf
    100 KB · Views: 224

ddelong6767

Lifted
Mark me down as interested in the Swell run. Starting to look at Fall trips and I'd love to get out there with a good group...

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
@Inukshuk @Ann and I are in for the Swell too. You did not have us on the list.

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member
@Inukshuk please put me down for the Swell Run as well, Thank you!

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
List updated.

Mark me down as interested in the Swell run. Starting to look at Fall trips and I'd love to get out there with a good group...
I look forward to meeting you.
@Inukshuk @Ann and I are in for the Swell too. You did not have us on the list.
(y)
@Inukshuk please put me down for the Swell Run as well, Thank you!
(y)

A couple take aways from recent rips to add here about the Grill-n-chill runs (I will add this to Post #1):
  1. Your commitment is a commitment. Its not a "hold my spot and I'll decide when the trip is closer." We all understand, I understand, things come up in life, and you also know that when you really want to do something, you find a way to make it happen. That's the expectation for these trips. I want you there. Other participants want you there. We all want to know each other is there and when we come together as a group for the weekend, we are a group. We count on each other. Support each other. Have fun together. Suffer together. So, sort out your schedules now. We'll meet at the appointed times and places and you can expect to be aimed back towards home by mid-afternoon Sunday. Plan your Monday's accordingly. You will get home Sunday night. We are going to squeeze all the juice out of our weekend!
  2. If you want to drop out, drop out now.
  3. I want you to have a working HAM or a GMRS radio, and maybe an extra to share as they are almost always sold in pairs. I have 4 GMRS handhelds to share. My Yaesu brand FTM-400 HAM radio tunes to all the GMRS frequencies. For fun and safety, we all have to be on the same radios and in advance you must know your radio works. No exceptions.

Last edited:

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
We (Brandi and I) are in for the Green bald Kelly. I recently purchased a a yaesu ft-60 handheld. Unlicensed operator at the moment but working on that. Feel free to post any info and/or updates on the thread I have going for this event.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
What's the time frame/plan for fridays? I planned to take off Friday morning for the swell and meet up. Friday after work and meet up for kelly flats grill and chill. Do I need to plan to leave Thursday for the swell and Friday morning for kelly?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
What's the time frame/plan for fridays? I planned to take off Friday morning for the swell and meet up. Friday after work and meet up for kelly flats grill and chill. Do I need to plan to leave Thursday for the swell and Friday morning for kelly?

I clarified here and post 1 - thanks, its an evolving process: "Meet at camp (for those of you who want to leave home Friday AM) 10AM Friday. We will leave camp 10AM Friday (Optional: Meet at camp Thursday night 2-4 hours from Denver (Except the Swell for which its too far to leave Friday. Thursday night we will probably camp just past Green River and not too far from I-70))"

You need all day Friday off for all trips.
You must leave Thursday night for the Swell.
You can drive up Friday AM for Kelly Flats. The trailhead is about 100 miles from central Denver. Thursday night will be more fun. I have a campsite in mind near the trailhead (40.683914, -105.482841) Allow time to fill your gas tank in Ft Collins.
For Flat Tops the drive in to camp/meeting may be 4 hours from central Denver. Friday AM drive will be possible, but very early.

For all trips I will start a group conversation with participants a few weeks out.

Thanks!

Last edited:

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I don't meet the radio requirement, so count me out.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I don't meet the radio requirement, so count me out.

Having CB chatter has always been part of the fun on these trips. Its evolved with HAM and GMRS. We've always required CB's on club runs and at Cruise Moabs. Things have gotten pretty lax with people showing up with no radios and having zero or marginally working comms simply doesn't work with groups. and, this is a greneral comment not directed at you, there is no reason not to have a good working radio or radios.

also you must have missed my comment above where I wrote "I have 4 GMRS handhelds to share". I revised "or enough GMRS radios to share" to "or a GMRS radio, and maybe an extra to share as they are almost always sold in pairs."

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Having CB chatter has always been part of the fun on these trips. Its evolved with HAM and GMRS. We've always required CB's on club runs and at Cruise Moabs. Things have gotten pretty lax with people showing up with no radios and having zero or marginally working comms simply doesn't work with groups. and, this is a greneral comment not directed at you, there is no reason not to have a good working radio or radios.

also you must have missed my comment above where I wrote "I have 4 GMRS handhelds to share". I revised "or enough GMRS radios to share" to "or a GMRS radio, and maybe an extra to share as they are almost always sold in pairs."
Thank you for clarifying, Daniel.

I have a working CB radio, and have since I joined RS, as I'm well aware that it's always been an club requirement. I also have four FRS handheld radios that are quite helpful, as I often wheel with beginners who rarely, if ever, have any sort of comms. But, they're not GMRS.

I didn't miss your comment. Prior to your editing the comment, it made it seem as though HAM or GMRS radios were required. Point #2 of your post read, "If you want to drop out, drop out now". I put those two comments together, figured I'd be pragmatic, and dropped out.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Yes, HAM or GMRS will be required and so its either all HAM or all GMRS. As the groups for each trip come together, within the groups we'll have to sort that out before the trip. As trail leader it is impractical to have to use both.

Hopefully the thread https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/stick-with-ham-or-time-to-go-gmrs.29329/ educates us all.

EDIT 6/25: The thread and @bassguyry educated me and for now at least all HAM or all FRS will be ok.

Last edited:

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten

DanInDenver

Trail Ready
100 with bumpers and sliders pulling a Ruger trailer for the Flat Tops or Kelly Tripple? Or not recommended?

Attachments

• 8B67E136-4507-4E76-B085-2803608AC017.jpeg
    8B67E136-4507-4E76-B085-2803608AC017.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 158

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
100 with bumpers and sliders pulling a Ruger trailer for the Flat Tops or Kelly Tripple? Or not recommended?
For sure not on Kelly.
Possibly Ok for Flat Tops. Some roads will be first time for me. One road I recall was hard. Hope to have us exit on the Transfer Trail which I am told can be hard. Maybe others can advise, and how adventuresome are you?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I also have four FRS handheld radios that are quite helpful, as I often wheel with beginners who rarely, if ever, have any sort of comms. But, they're not GMRS..

"I also have four Midland X-Talker (T71) FRS handheld radios "

Those will be fine. Space is still yours if you want.