Grill -n- Chill Tour #0 Beta Preview - Trip Report

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Grill -n- Chill Tour #0 Beta - Trip Report

Four rigs departed Denver Friday evening. @Oh_shift, @OHUZJ100, and I met at the last chance for gas (almost, not really, but it sounds cooler this way) and @J1000 was hot on our heels and caught up before we made camp.

We enjoyed the company of 3 moose before we got to camp. The chosen site #1 "Garden of Eden" was occupied, but nearby backup site was free (once Mr. Moose wandered off.) Grilling commenced forthright and we all got a good night sleep under a blanket of stars.

Grilling recommenced in the morning and soon after @Fisher67 and son arrived, followed shortly by @Mendocino and @Ann. Achieving full strength, the team departed to the Tree of Life. After appropriate contemplation of life we headed south, over Sand Creek Pass, up Larimer River Road, and past Honholtz lakes #1, #2, and #3 up and over to the North Sand Hills.

Some head on traffic on a shelf road was negotiated through good conversation and soon we were riding sand. For some it was the first experience of open sand dune riding. Large smiles were everywhere. After a spot of coffee, we drove some more, I drove some sketchy narrow tracks, slid back almost sideways some, and got a little air under my tires.

Back up and over to the East slope, we made camp in an open area hoping the wind would keep the awful relentless mosquitoes away, The wind helped for sure, and also kept most of us from sleeping at all. All the trees snapped in half everywhere should have been taken as a warning. But at least we got to use the new-to-me old chainsaw to clear the road.

Our Saturday arrivals became Sunday AM departures, and by 10AM the remaining 4 rigs headed out, fuel tanks (except @Oh_shift) really, really low, we headed down Laramie River Road. Technically it was up, as in elevation, but it was down, as in South. At the southern end, near Cameron pass we were going o check out some of FS177 but it was still seasonally closed. We were 1 day early (it will be the exit point of G&C#2). We headed to reconnoiter G&C#2 starting point: the Kelley Flats trailhead.
at the KFT we eyed all sorts of built rigs and then headed in to explore a bit. We found a nice lunch spot with a view of heart attack hill.

After lunch we got back on HWY 14 for the long downhill to HWY 287. Downhill was good for my flickering fuel light - and I'd already added 2 gallons. I had 2 gallons left. We were briefly delayed at a spot where a pickup truck was in the Poudre river. People had already rendered aid, including kayakers now standing in their PFDs and helmets. Passerby's directed alternating oncoming traffic like pros. The wreck driver was seated by a stopped RV, looking pretty unhappy but alert.

We made it to Ted's Place and my fuel light was only flickering.

IMG_7492.jpgIMG_7493.jpgIMG_7495.jpgIMG_7496.jpgIMG_7497.jpgIMG_7498.jpgIMG_7502.jpgIMG_7504.jpgIMG_7506.jpgIMG_7510.jpg

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
More Pics (whoops forgot to post last night!)

Little used trails

IMG_7513.JPG

Anything to ward off mosquitoes!

61378797047__FFE0145C-FE92-4C33-B3A8-F21446558466.JPG

The "chillin" evening commences
IMG_7515.jpg

As does the grillin

IMG_7518.jpg

Beautiful views on Laramie River Road

IMG_7521.JPG

Watching 4x4's climb Heart Attach Hill on Kelley Flats

IMG_7524.jpeg

Ann

Rising Sun Member
This was a great trip Daniel! Thanks for organizing it. So nice to get back out to the woods and meet a cool crew of folks and see more of beautiful CO! Looking forward to the next one!

OHUZJ100

I concur with everyone else, this trip was super well planned out. I am glad that I stayed for the whole ride till Sunday. Daniel surely is a man with a plan! I got to see some places I'd never thought I'd see, and do somethings I'd never thought I'd do.
IMG_20200612_191940.jpg

Start of the trip, and the truck is very clean, lets see how long that lasts:)
IMG_20200613_082537.jpg

Mmmm I'd say an hour, or two:LOL: This was the first nights campsite, and I've never seen Daniel's "Garden of Eden" spot, but this place was frickin' amazing.
IMG_20200613_102337.jpg

Detour for some exploring, cool spot where we saw an awesome looking tree root.
IMG_20200613_111504.jpg

Trip was packed with beautiful spots, likes this, where you just gotta get out and see from outside your truck.
IMG_20200613_122342.jpg

Lunch/Snack spot had plenty of room, and plenty of damn mosquito's. Also, a nice obstacle for @J1000 to use his rocksliders on.:whistle:
IMG_20200613_141552.jpg

Mr @Fisher67 kickin' up some sand. The 100's have the most fun;)
IMG_20200614_115833.jpg

Last pull off after a super scenic drive, and super amazing trip. Thanks again for putting this together Daniel. Here is to the next one:beer: @Inukshuk

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
We saw this on the way home (picture grabbed from FB)

We drove by shortly after it happened. No authorities on scene and a dripping wet man seated roadside wrapped in a blanket. As soon as we realized the cause of the traffic backup we wondered if any of our set up rigs might be able to assist getting any persons out. I turned my Garmin on in case we needed to attempt to summon assistance. Boy Colorado people are great - as we got close, good samaritans were controlling traffic in alternating lanes. Several kayakers / rafters in helmets and PFDs were standing there looking reassuring. No doubt they went into the water to rescue the driver. A man, seemed to be the driver, was seated next to a stopped RV, wrapped in a blanket with several people around him and I distinctly recall someone had their hand reassuringly on his shoulder. He looked unhappy, but eyes wide open and seemingly alert. Vehicle was upright as pictured above I said "thank you for helping" to each person directing traffic and we went on our way. About 10 minutes down the road our first uphill bound fire/rescue truck came by lights and sirens. Eventually also an ambulance, State Patrol, Sheriff, and swift water team towing inflatables. Only the Fire Rescue and Sheriff had lights and sirens. I'm so proud of how the passers-by responded.

Truck in River 6.14.20.jpg

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Looks like a great time!

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
Need to get up there, looks like a lot of fun.

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
Over grown kids playing in a giant sand box, way too entertaining.