The "Grill -n- Chill" Run

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
"I also have four Midland X-Talker (T71) FRS handheld radios "

Those will be fine. Space is still yours if you want.
Keep me on the list. I’ll be there! Might have a mobile GMRS radio by then too... :)

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
If there is room on the swell run, my wife and I would love to join.

Noted and keep it on your calendar. A few people also usually have to cancel for one reason or another. PM me your name and e-mail. You might want to add your name and other info to your signature. I'm terrible with Forum names.

Looks like room for 1 more on the Flat Tops trip? I'm interested, as long as this will be a kid-friendly run (my 5yo daughter will be along while Mom is home with the baby). I've been wanting to explore those trails for awhile, fishing poles are always packed and ready to go! 4th Gen 4R with ~3" lift and 32" tires. Thanks for organizing!

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Looks like room for 1 more on the Flat Tops trip? I'm interested, as long as this will be a kid-friendly run (my 5yo daughter will be along while Mom is home with the baby). I've been wanting to explore those trails for awhile, fishing poles are always packed and ready to go! 4th Gen 4R with ~3" lift and 32" tires. Thanks for organizing!

For sure kid and dog friendly!

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
The flat tops (tour #1) is fast approaching! I'm excited and still committed to it 😁

@Inukshuk was there going to be a specific thread for the flat tops tour or did I miss it? I haven't been super on top of the most recent posts.

Side note, anyone mind if my roomy bums along in my truck? He's got his own Ham license and handheld radio setup. He and I have been practicing our Ham skills, so it'd be cool to have him along.

Allen

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Hi all. I'm just back from a week of mostly vacation. Some great camping, wheeling, visiting, swimming and hiking along the way. I had a great conversation with someone who knows the Flat Tops really well and I drove by our starting point highway exit on my drive home yesterday. I'm ready to be back up at altitude.

@allen.wrench I'll get the conversation started. Your passenger is welcome.

I'm expecting a Stage 1 Fire Restriction with "open-fire ban" so bring your propane accessories!

stage 1 restrictions:
  • campfires are only allowed within designated fire grates in developed campgrounds (i.e. a metal, in-ground containment structure -- fire pans and rock campfire rings are not acceptable)
  • no fires of any type including charcoal outside of developed areas
  • no smoking except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site or in a barren area free of vegetation

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
We've already had 15 Red Flag warnings here in Mesa County in 2020, which is more than all of 2019, with two more issued today (7/6/2020) for Tuesday and Wednesday. Right now all of Mesa and Garfield County are at Stage 1 however Rio Blanco is not yet implemented any restrictions. I haven't heard about Eagle and Routt.

So please be mindful with the use of any flame or fire even though all that's required is the use of permanent fire rings and isn't really that restrictive overall. At least to those of us who prefer dark skies and don't do campfires anyway.

Fact Sheet__1525127414384__w1500.jpg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
This is in regards to the Flat Tops G&C.

I do not yet know deets from Daniel but from his mention of a feature I have a general idea of where I think he's intending to start.

Based upon this assumption I'm probably going to be up there the day (would be Thursday 7/16/2020) before to check something out I've been meaning to poke at not far from Dotsero. If anyone wants to tack on an extra night on the front end let me know, would be happy to have company.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
We've already had 15 Red Flag warnings here in Mesa County in 2020, which is more than all of 2019, with two more issued today (7/6/2020) for Tuesday and Wednesday. Right now all of Mesa and Garfield County are at Stage 1 however Rio Blanco is not yet implemented any restrictions. I haven't heard about Eagle and Routt.

A week ago Sunday we started smelling and then seeing smoke while driving in backcountry near South Fork. Fortunately we had cell service and did some searching. www.fireweatheravalanche.org was first to report. But it was so new that we called 911 for info. At the time believed the fire was about five miles away. Altered our plans a bit for safety. Named the Goose Creek Fire, it is now 20% contained a week later at 150 acres.

I jost created an account at www.fireweatheravalanche.org and made a donation!

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Flat Tops G&C conversation started. We have an available space if anyone wants to get away!

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I won't be attending with this group. You can remove us from the roster.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
We'll miss you Jeff & Ann.

Tomorrow we launch! Leaving Denver around 4PM. If you have a wild desire to get away PM me. A few more would work just fine.

ddelong6767

Lifted
Mark me down as interested in the Swell run. Starting to look at Fall trips and I'd love to get out there with a good group...

My parents have decided to come for a visit that week so looks like I'm out. You guys have fun...

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Flat Tops trip was amazing. A riot of wildflowers! Trip report coming soon.

If there is room on the swell run, my wife and I would love to join.
You are in.

Post #1 list updated.

Just over three weeks away (August 14 - 16) is the Grill -n- Chill Tour #2: Kelly Flats, Bald Mountain and Green Ridge Road..
We have 5 vehicles, and that's a fine group. If you have been thinking about it, join now. Please consider this a real commitment. I understand people may have to cancel (parents visiting is a great example), but simply changing your mind not a good reason. ;) There is planning involved and part of that happens in the group conversations. Part of the fun is the group coming together. :cool: This is a three day trip. Its easy for us and easy to take for granted. To others this simple three day trip could be a trip of a lifetime. Make it your trip of a lifetime!
We'll start with Kelly Flats, then Bald Mountain, and finally Green Ridge Road. This will be a beautiful multi-day event with no civilization stops in between.
Portions rated difficult, be prepared for challenge, :oops: but we will all make it.
A few weeks ago we watched people run Heart Attack Hill. Looked like some effort but they all made it. I've done a small portion of Green Ridge and it was spectacular. Last planned campsite is by a spectacular lake.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Nix me from the kelly flats trip. Mi Madre will be in town from out of state.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Nix me from the kelly flats trip. Mi Madre will be in town from out of state.

Bring mom along! We'll miss you.

I'm looking forward to a few weekends at home after just returning from Mtn Home Idaho with a new-to-Anna GX470. We will be ready (us, not the GX) when August 14th comes around.

Attachments

• IMG_8406.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 149

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Do you have an updated list for the swell run? I'm not sure if the link on the first post gets updated.