The "Grill -n- Chill" Run

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member
Daniel,

I can participate in this weekend’s run and also the San Rafael swell run. Will probably need to meet group on Saturday morning, so let me know how far from Ft.Collins campsite will be?

thanks,

todd

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
Awesome! I'm not sure about this so to double check: I'm #22 in the list, does that mean I'm in for the #2 tour, Green Elk River Kelly?

Just asking cuz you say it's difficult/challenging. Idk if over folks will be able to keep up. Hahaha jk jk, I'm a novice among novices with a still stock 🌮 and more to learn than room for things that seem like upgrades. So I don't want to get stuck or worse yet make folks wait for me.

This weekend is booked for me, I'm meeting a friend to smoke cigars and drink whiskey. May I request being on the #1 Flat Tops tour or the #3 San Rafael Swell tour?

Allen

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm down for the Swell tour.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Just saw this, out for this weekend. Daniel bad ass for setting these up. Get yer butts up and go exploring folks this is an awesome set of trips Daniel has offered for us to join him on

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Daniel,
I can participate in this weekend’s run and also the San Rafael swell run. Will probably need to meet group on Saturday morning, so let me know how far from Ft.Collins campsite will be? thanks, todd

Two hours. Near Sand Creek Pass. Good dirt county road. I will create a conversation with attendees and give coordinates, discuss departure times. There are more large sites nearby if this one is occupied. Allow time to air down (for comfort) when you leave highway 287 to turn onto 80C. I'd take my 80 to about 25PSI (as opposed Moab where I'd be at 18, or the sand dunes where I may go as low as 15)

Awesome! I'm not sure about this so to double check: I'm #22 in the list, does that mean I'm in for the #2 tour, Green Elk River Kelly?
Just asking cuz you say it's difficult/challenging. Idk if over folks will be able to keep up. Hahaha jk jk, I'm a novice among novices with a still stock 🌮 and more to learn than room for things that seem like upgrades. So I don't want to get stuck or worse yet make folks wait for me.
This weekend is booked for me, I'm meeting a friend to smoke cigars and drink whiskey. May I request being on the #1 Flat Tops tour or the #3 San Rafael Swell tour?
Allen

Read the Well's/Fun Treks descriptions for Green Elk River Kelly. There are bypasses for the two hardest Kelley Flats obstacles. Rising Sun Members are great spotters and its fun to get through with a stock vehicle. Good tires, good attitude, and a team gets through most things

We'll have to do some juggling if runs fill. That first list came with no dates and I am confident that all of us polite and gracious people here in Rising Sun will work it out.

Everyone should list preferences and we'll adjust as needed! I got you preferring #1 Flat Tops tour andthe #3 San Rafael Swell tour.

Just saw this, out for this weekend. Daniel bad ass for setting these up. Get yer butts up and go exploring folks this is an awesome set of trips Daniel has offered for us to join him on

Thanks! Hope to see you and Allison & child there!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Count me on the Flat Tops and Swell. Highly doubtful I'd make Front Range trips.

FWIW, weather last couple of days has been dry and mid 70s around here. Absolutely gorgeous still. It's not too late for desert trips. We're expecting slight chance of rain Saturday evening and temps in the upper 80s for the next week or so. I'll probably be in the Swell this weekend if anyone wants to sneak out.

IMG_1527_mid.jpg

We were up in the Bookcliffs recently, too. Not quite all the way to the Flat Tops since it's just getting dry enough and sure enough a couple of fires were sparked up there a few days ago.

IMG_1467 copy.jpg

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
The "Grill -n- Chill" Run:welcome:

• All dates (except #0) are Friday (better yet, Thursday night) to Sunday
    • Grill -n- Chill Tour #0 Beta Preview: Friday June 12, depart Denver as a group around 5PM or meet anytime the next 16 hours at camp an hour NW of Ft Collins until we depart West 9AM Saturday. Goal: going west. Maybe we'll hit the North Sand Hills, if we make it over the back route in. Not sure how much snow there is. We'll camp somewhere and explore more Sunday.
    • Grill -n- Chill Tour #1: July 17-19 - The Flat Tops. We can't always avoid I-70 but if traffic cooperates, its not a bad drive to the trailhead. What awaits beyond the Deep Creek Overlook is worth it. Make sure you have your fishing license and maybe we grill fresh fish for dinner, or breakfast, or both.
    • Grill -n- Chill Tour #2: August 14-16 - Green Elk Kelly (Northern CO, portions rated difficult, be prepared for challenge) We'll combine Green Ridge Road, Bald Mountain and Kelly Flats into a premier multi-day event. I've only done a small portion of Green Ridge and it was spectacular.
    • Grill -n- Chill Tour #3: September 18-20 - San Rafael Swell - Finally cool enough to go back to the desert! Its a big place so this is a No Limits trip. We'll split into smaller groups as needed for trails. Many routes are stock vehicle friendly. Much extra fuel mandatory. I'll probably pack an extra 20 gallons.
  • Limit 8 trucks
  • If trails are closed or close, we'll just pick another area.
People interested: If you are interested, post up. If you have a free seat in your truck, maybe open it to a passenger.
Here is a list, in order. And don't fret, we'll make it all work so everyone who wants to can go. I still have 6 free weekends between now and September to fill.
  1. @Oh_shift
  2. @ajordan1975
  3. @bassguyry
  4. @Fisher67
  5. @gungriffin
  6. @MTSN
  7. @Mendocino
  8. @rover67
  9. @DaveInDenver
  10. @dan1554
  11. @AxleIke
  12. @ChewBaca
  13. @simps80
  14. @Old40Dog
  15. @Cruiserman
  16. @Cocarlisle
  17. @Kelvin
  18. @FunkyYota
  19. @Beach Boy
  20. @Boss Hog
  21. @cbmontgo
  22. @allen.wrench
  23. @DanielChase
  24. @On the RX
  25. @chillbill
  26. @Squishy!
  27. @katwoo72
General plan: Meet, drive cool 4x4 and dirt roads, explore, make cool camps :camping:, eat, sleep, :photo: repeat 3x. "Overland" style (but been doing this since before that fancy word and called it "camping" or "wheeling" :clap:

Specific Plan: Meet/leave/break camp 10AM Friday (for those of you who want to leave home Friday AM) (Optional: Meet at camp Thursday night 2-4 hours from Denver) We'll break camp by 9AM Saturday and Sunday and stop for coffee around 11. Then we'll drive more and stop for lunch around 1PM. By 4 - 6 PM we'll make camp and fire up the grills! COVID permitting one dinner will be communal.

The route: I already have 6 super cool areas in mind! Forest roads and 4x4 trails, mountain passes, tight canyons, open vistas. Dry, mud, rock. CO, WY, UT , Pavement to get to start, pavement from the end, but in the middle pavement will be minimized. Some/much of the route will be new to me, so we will be exploring. General area disclosed before trip but once on trail you are requested to shut down the 47 navigational computers and get lost in the moment (that's optional as we'll have no compliance police)

Extras:
Bring some extra fuel. 5 Gallons recommended so we don't need civilization in the middle of the trip. :woot:For some of these routes, civilization is not an option. (my 80 gets about 10MPG wheeling so I am mindful of fuel)
Bring toilet facilities. In many areas you can dig a cat hole, but we'll have enough people that a shelter and bucket may be better. In the San Rafael Swell you have to have a toilet facility and pack it out (preferably on your roof rack)
Awesome Daniel!!! Crazy generous to offer this up. If you’ve never explored these areas, jump on board folks.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I'm alllll the way down in slot 24. If it opens up count me in for #2 and #3.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I'm alllll the way down in slot 24. If it opens up count me in for #2 and #3.

Its great how courteous we all are. Thanks for putting up your preferences!
Monday or Tuesday I'll go through the responses now that I put out dates and areas and we'll see how it sorts out.

Last edited:

Cocarlisle

Hard Core 4+
Out for this weekend but seriously interested in the others if my schedule allows

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
Read the Well's/Fun Treks descriptions for Green Elk River Kelly. There are bypasses for the two hardest Kelley Flats obstacles. Rising Sun Members are great spotters and its fun to get through with a stock vehicle. Good tires, good attitude, and a team gets through most things

We'll have to do some juggling if runs fill. That first list came with no dates and I am confident that all of us polite and gracious people here in Rising Sun will work it out.

Everyone should list preferences and we'll adjust as needed! I got you preferring #1 Flat Tops tour andthe #3 San Rafael Swell tour.

Copy that man. I tried to find the tours in my FunTreks book, but no cigar. I don't know why. Might be my edition?? Of course PEBCAK is always a possibility.

Fair point about stock vehicles being fun too, and yeah I completely agree about other rising sun members.

All the same, good call on preference. Tours #1 and #3 are good by me. Thanks sir!

Allen

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
If you did not get the group PM about Grill -n- Chill Tour #0 Beta Preview starting today 6/12, PM me and I'll add you. 7 so far so we can add still. :pirate:

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
My convo with Inukshuk at 2050:
Jeff Hamilton:

Now I see the Saturday timing ( wheel’s up at 10 because of cold night). Sorry I missed it. Have a nice night!

Daniel Markofsky:

I’m glad you asked. I wasn’t sure myself

One of the other guys come in the morning to I forget who

Camp occupied so get us on the radio (146.460 / 147.420) it's a left turn just before the camp coordinates

Post to our forum conversation if you can please. May not have service down at camp

Close to 40.90504, -105.80978

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
We’re about to leave Broomfield. We’ll be monitoring 146.460 and 147.420z

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Worked out great! Trip report in the works!