• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Random Pictures Thread

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Ironic, unsecured T.P. in '23, I guess we've come full circle.
20230814_074129.jpg

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I’m out in Massachusetts visiting my mom and helping around the place. Found this…my great grandfather owned and ran the dodge dealership in Westfield mass. Waaay back when. Check out the phone number.

That was a thing! When I first moved here in 1980, we had party lines up here in Evergreen. You never knew if you could use your phone or if your neighbor was using it. When you picked up the phone you might barge in on someone's conversation, and of course they could do the same to you. Of course the phone number didn't need to include the area code. Everyone was 303.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I should let this go... but what also irks me is the ground plug for the 110 outlets. They're just holes, not actually grounded.

View attachment 118987

Oh, and notice how it's backwards? Look at the one on the wall in your office- The big one (white wire) is supposed to be on the left, the small black wire on the right. So now I'm supposed to plug that Marshall head into this, ungrounded, with reverse polarity.
I sometimes put outlets in with ground up. A plug doesn't know up or down, you just flip it.

IMG_3072_mid.png

The reason for the ground up is say the plug is partially pulled from the outlet and the blades are exposed, then say something falls from above it. Gravity being what it is that something will fall down and should that something be conductive it'll hit the leg that is not current carrying and only for safety - the ground pin - first rather than short the two current carrying tabs of the plug and short the circuit.

There's been actually times when an electrician is called in for a dead circuit and finds a penny that's fallen off a table and welded itself between the two prongs.

Also, it's a conversation starter.

"Say, dumbass, why are all of your holes upside down?"

"Well, since you bring it up..."

And just so you don't think it's just me over analyzing this is the way it's done in a fair number of commercial and industrial installs. There's no "right" way in the Code so it's left to the electrician or the designer to say, although some local authorities do dictate this and some standards suggest this way, like NECA 130.

Screen Shot 2023-08-17 at 7.55.45 AM.png

Regardless if the ground up is right or even originally intended (it probably was) humans have a condition called pareidolia, which means we like inanimate things to take on human aspects. Basically we like things more when they look like a smiley face. So it was inevitable that they would end up in the orientation that seems more pleasing.

BTW, we've owned two houses built in the 1920s and both had a few original circuits and outlets from back then. They had only two-prong outlets and both were the same sized, so that's not of much help. But what's interesting is that they did put the neutral on the right side when they wired them. Which lends credibility to the theory that the ground was supposed to go up in the 3-prong arrangement.

Of course when you look at some outlets, like GFCI, they label them so they can be used in either orientation. Notice next time that "TEST" and "RESET" are written both ways.

Now you do need to make sure to put the right wire on each side. The larger blade is always neutral/white and the smaller hot/black. The machine itself really doesn't care, it'll work either way since an AC circuit is positive half the time and negative the other all that will be different is that for 1/2 cycle on start it's theoretically working backwards but for time immortal after that no one would be the wiser.

However, since our grid neutral is ground referenced if you reverse the two leads the case could be hot and that would be bad, very bad, if you happen to touch something that is also tied to ground. Like your plumbing. Zap!

An argument could be made that for a separately derived system, like a battery or generator, hot, neutral and ground are different. You're supposed to float an RV, for example, without an Earth so "ground" is a local concept. The only time an RV would get a real ground is when it's plugged in at a campground or at home. If you do ground a generator then you have to do it right, with a rod. A substandard ground is worse than none.

Last edited:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Run the Jewels
IMG_9494.jpeg

Wu-Tang Clan
IMG_9492.jpeg

subzali

Hard Core 4+
At the Top of Cottonwood Pass
IMG_0469.jpeg

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Finally got around to replacing that gate on the side of the house…. Was one board short but I’ll swap that out today.

IMG_9771.jpeg

Oh but you wanted to see the back side…
IMG_9772.jpeg

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
All you LC owners have been officially warned
IMG_20230926_134612426.jpg