• TONIGHT! UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO RAIN FORECAST: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Ouray, 2009

Not a member but planning on being there.

Welcome :thumb:

If you decide you like us, you could become a member if you'd like :D

"Must attend a minimum of one club meeting, and one club event. If applicant lives out of the area (over 40 miles from Denver) he/she may substitute a trip for a club meeting, making it 2 club events."

Sounds great we will talk at event, it should be a great weekend.
Thanks,
Steve

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Calling the vice commander, vice commander, question about membership line one.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Here is my updated list. I took a guess at the number of people in each vehicle. My total is 59. We are close to 75 but hopefully not too close.

Trapper50cal: Yes, the second event you attend meets our membership requirements. I'm still looking for the dues schedule regarding associate members - I'l let you know. We'll likely have a big enough group down there that we can vote on the spot. Stuffing the ballot box has been known to occur during offsite meeting locations such as this. We'll have to keep a watch and make there are plenty of empty, er full bottles on the table. :) Help me out here, what is your name btw?

First Last people forum truck ham
1 Steve Brady 2 FJBrady FJC
2 Brian Brickley 3 PhatFJ FJC KDØGEG
3 Marco Capote 2 rover67 FJ60 KDØGWX
4 Chris Davis 4 Sandstorm FJC KDØIFE
5 Ige Gustavson 1 nuclearlemon FZJ80 KØIGE
6 Martin Huber 1 MDH33 FJ40 KDØ0GWM
7 Kenny Jones 2 RedCreeper FJC
8 Mike Koons 2 Baileyfj40 FJ40 KDØDHQ
9 Bruce Lawson 1 60wag FZJ80 KCØZAC
10 Greg Luer 2 Cheeseman 4Run KDØGWJ
11 Barbara Miller 1 Kiowa Kate KE5TPW
12 Bruce Miller 1 Bruce Miller WØDW
13 Nathaniel Miller 4 Groucho FZJ80 WØIIN
14 Bill Morgan 2 Red Chili 4Run KDØRCH
15 Michelle Nakari 1 FZJ80 KDØITX
16 Tim Nakari 3 Nakman FZJ80 KØNAK
17 Matt Ralston 2 Jacket FJ40
18 Farnham St John 4 farnhamstj UZJ100
19 Chris Sutton 1 cjsutton FJ40
20 Doug Tebbe 1 11thcadvrt Taco
21 Bruce Westlund 1 Jethro FJ40 WØJTR
22 Brian Wilson 2 Beachboy
23 Wes Worek 4 wesintl FZJ80 WØREK
24 Mike Worth 1 Tch2fly FZJ80
25 Jeff Zettl 4 corsair23 FZJ80 KØZET
26 Steve 5 spcruiser FJ40
27 2 Trapper50cal FJ60

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Martin, where did the number 75 come from?

I spoke with the Ranger main office in Bayfield and they told me that any organized group must have a permit. I still am waiting for a return phone call From Mike at the NF to see what it would take for the permit.

The statement from the office today (who admittedly said that they were not the authority but rather the Mike guy) was that they knew nothing of the 75 number, and whomever brought it up might have been misinformed. I did mention that a friend was volunteering for them down there, and that was where we got the info, but it didn't seem to make sense to them, the 75 number that is.

I guess we will all just have to settle on the "we all showed up around the same time" excuse.

Better yet, I will wait for my return phone call to hopefully make it legit.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I spoke with the Ranger main office in Bayfield and they told me that any organized group must have a permit. I still am waiting for a return phone call From Mike at the NF to see what it would take for the permit.

The statement from the office today (who admittedly said that they were not the authority but rather the Mike guy) was that they knew nothing of the 75 number, and whomever brought it up might have been misinformed. I did mention that a friend was volunteering for them down there, and that was where we got the info, but it didn't seem to make sense to them, the 75 number that is.

I guess we will all just have to settle on the "we all showed up around the same time" excuse.

Better yet, I will wait for my return phone call to hopefully make it legit.

Not surprised. Also, we'll be driving through 3 or 4 different ranger districts including Ouray, Norwood and Gunnison. You'll probably get different answer from each one.

It's on the US Forest Service website under Special Use Permits - noncommercial group uses. Here

"The regulation requires a permit for noncommercial group uses of National Forest System lands. Under the regulation, a group use is an activity that involves a group of 75 or more people, either as participants or spectators. Noncommercial is any use or activity where an entry or participation fee is not charged, and the primary purpose is not the sale of a goods or service. Some examples of noncommercial group uses are weddings, church services, endurance rides, regattas, camping trips, hikes, music festivals, rallies, graduations, and races. "

But, it sounds like we're well below the 75 person limit.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I figure between the 4 of us, we should be able to push it up and over Monarch Pass, and then coast the rest of the way. :snail:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
looks like Allison and I be leaving thursday morning (barring any unforseen events with the front axle rebuild). Don't really know where we'll be headed.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I figure between the 4 of us, we should be able to push it up and over Monarch Pass, and then coast the rest of the way. :snail:

25mph flat out in second gear in my 60 up Monarch. :hill: I'm hoping to break 35mph in the 40 this week, although I'll probably burn a half tank of fuel in the process.. :eek:

looks like Allison and I be leaving thursday morning (barring any unforseen events with the front axle rebuild). Don't really know where we'll be headed.

Me too. See you on the road. I'll monitor 146.460 and the repeaters.

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
name for Wag

60Wag

My name is Justin Travis, I'm the guy that traded rigs with Ige (Blue & white FJ55 for her Tan FJ60) Oh, and some of those bottles will be supplied by me, as I work at a brewpub as the Graphic Designer down here in Durango. Mendecino knows me, he and his wife and daughter met me and my fiance Eve at CM09...right after we got engaged at Arches. And of course, Ige knows me. I hang with Corbet & Marianne now that he lives down here.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Hope to start the 285 route between 8 and 9 am Friday.

Being this is the trip i really wanted to attend looks like i am out till next year. Way to much happening the past month and no money. Dang!!! be safe and see everyone on the next trail event.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
I've been in Minnesota the last few days. Missing from the Roster KD0GWO

I read "organized" That right there removes us from any necessary permit.:lmao:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
The Angel Creek campground up Camp Bird Rd. is pretty nice. :

trying to find the campground....are you sure it's on camp bird road? i show an angel creek road, well northeast of camp bird road:confused:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
trying to find the campground....are you sure it's on camp bird road? i show an angel creek road, well northeast of camp bird road:confused:

It's on Camp Bird (Yankee Boy basin rd 361 on the map) on the right just after you cross the bridge/creek. You'll see a kiosk and sign. (If you reach the Thistledown campground, you've gone too far.) When you pull up to the Angel Creek sign, you'll see a clump of bushes next to the creek, the road up to the campsites veers left up a steep gravelly hill. Here's a map, campground is the star. My cell is 7208767498. I can receive calls in Ouray but not voice mails.

:)

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 165

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Hey Justin,

I know you have Ige's old 60, I just couldn't put a name with it. As for membership... regular membership is 60$/year but this late in the year we prorate it to 30$. Associate membership is 25$/year but as an associate, you don't get to vote on stuff. It's up to you. We can talk about this weekend, see you in Ouray.

Bruce