• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

old cast iron

simps80

Rising Sun Member
This is by far the oldest pan I have ever worked on.

I still can’t ID it
The 7D cast mark plus the heat ring plus the weight(super light) plus the mid cast line plus the handle detail super tip-off leans me to a pre 1870 old forge

Never quite seen one like this even on the internet but it is super high quality

My steward buddy (ok ok flight attendant buddy) found it on one of his travels in Alabama
I have him on the hunt now cause he goes all over..he lets me get away with the steward cause I have known him since 1988
And he has been flying for United since 1995 when they were actually called stewards and stewardesses
Anyways…I digress

I am jealous of his score (the cast iron)…

I will only put one thin base coat to protect this and asked him to not cook with it.

He has a big ass collection almost the size of mine from his travels..
I didn’t get before pictures wish I would have
7 days in the lye and wire wheel
Sand paper up to 180
Steel whool
Scotch brite

She naked
IMG_4744.jpeg
IMG_4745.jpeg
IMG_4746.jpeg

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Man, I'd want to make some bacon and eggs in that before hanging it on the wall.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Coming from Alabama I'm wondering if that's a Birmingham Stove & Range (e.g. BS&R) piece.

There's a few clues, the ring on the bottom, the shape of the handle, the model mark (7D) are typical of them. The blocky shape and the extra reinforcement at the handle are interesting and aren't typically what you see with BS&R, though.

But they lasted until the 1980s and made a lot of cast iron so it's possible that's just a very early shape as they were refining their process.

100% with Matt, cast iron is meant to be used. It might be something rare but even a Ferrari 166 (the first one, only 47 were ever built) should see tarmac once in a while.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Semi-related. Doing some searches on Mike's pan trying to find a picture of an Atlanta Stove Works to compare and came across this ASW catalog page. I do not know context or year but it looks to me mid 20th century.

But the reason I'm posting it is they offered two finishes, plain or ground polished. I think we discussed that earlier with respect to current Lodge. Back in the heyday the casting wasn't any better (perhaps thicker pieces or fewer recycled engine blocks melted into the pig iron but the process itself hasn't changed) but since the market back then was far more competitive extras like post casting work were offered.

I have long assumed that what we see today with super smooth old pans isn't necessarily the full picture. Lots of budgets were stretched and plain finish purchased I'm sure and has since been smoothed with tools or use.

In that way Lodge isn't doing anything different historically other than knowing their market isn't as a high end boutique brand so there's probably not much market for them offering the polishing at the factory.

atlantastovecatalogpage.jpg

simps80

Rising Sun Member
100%
On using stuff
I think this one has seen too much stress with the pitting and small cracks
It would take further damage imo if used much

Thanks Dave for the research you nailed it the ID!

Edit:
I will keep digging this has the gate mark which usually means a lot older than that casting method

The BSR stuff wasn’t cast like that and the 7 is the wrong font

Anyway will update if I find anything out
Further

Last edited:

DanInDenver

Trail Ready
I absolutely love the durability and ease of cleaning my iron, comes out of the dishwasher spotless everytime.

Attachments

• F476EDEA-F536-4A74-9BFC-B2A2DB5FEC1D.jpeg
    F476EDEA-F536-4A74-9BFC-B2A2DB5FEC1D.jpeg
    513.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 227E4748-A179-4535-95FE-C33B3C5E8E61.jpeg
    227E4748-A179-4535-95FE-C33B3C5E8E61.jpeg
    337.2 KB · Views: 63

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Pan seared and fried bone in ribeye with garlic and butter pan drippings au jus off the og griswold
Honey crisp and cherries to cut the fat
No carbs needed
Yum not even a great cut but flavor off the charts

IMG_4880.jpeg

IMG_4883.jpeg

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I don't get it? Is it for placing on top of bacon or something to flatten? Why else would you need a thick "spatula"? Makey no sensey

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Nay - Against.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
That handle might get hot
Cool novelty
I would carve up a non old/non valuable or warped or cracked or non made in USA pan just cause of the novelty

simps80

Rising Sun Member
It’s not a press
It’s a heavy ass spatula
Come on man let it breath
Hot handles are for hard hands

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
What do you guys know about this one? I found it at the casita we’re staying in.
It’s about 9 inches in diameter. Says Levcoware Japan on the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_2001.jpeg
    IMG_2001.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2002.jpeg
    IMG_2002.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 23