OG2 (1967 FJ40 – Refurb’ Thread - Help Gladly Accepted)

subzali

Hard Core 4+
If your cylinders still turn there is still a chance of disassembling them and repairing them. If they are rusted frozen then you pretty much have to buy new.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
I struggled with hard-to-adjust wheel cylinders for years and finally bought new. I might have been able to remove them from the truck, disassemble and clean up, but it was easier to just replace them. I lubricated all the adjustment bits on the new ones with anti-seize compound (plenty) before installing. They were shipped 'dry' and one drop of water would likely rust them again.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I have already replaced the fronts. The rears will be next in line when I get motivated ;). So much other stuff to improve first.

She is definitely running better in the warm weather. Having fun just driving her right now.

Next fix is passenger rocker panel. Then I will attempt the inside fenders after I remove the top. Gonna be a while before I get to these since I just started a new job...it’s keeping me pretty busy right now.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I have already replaced the fronts. The rears will be next in line when I get motivated ;). So much other stuff to improve first.

She is definitely running better in the warm weather. Having fun just driving her right now.

Next fix is passenger rocker panel. Then I will attempt the inside fenders after I remove the top. Gonna be a while before I get to these since I just started a new job...it’s keeping me pretty busy right now.

Same with me, Paul. I just want to drive it while its running and the weather is nice! Tempting to keep digging deeper, but its a 40, so I know I can put off a lot of stuff and just enjoy it as is before it turns into a pile of parts in the garage.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Well, it has been quite a while since I have updated this post, but to be honest I really haven’t done much to OG2 over the past year and a half. I’ve been driving her every other week and just enjoying.

But last weekend in the warm weather I got motivated to fix her saggy ass. So, I pulled both rear springs, and replaced them with the ones I bought earlier in the year from @Colorado40, along with slightly longer shackles that came with the deal. I also put 2 degree shims in when I reassembled to hopefully avoid any vibes. Everything is all painted up and looking good, except for the diff which I still need to mess with.

Anyway, take a look at the very first pic in this thread and compare to her level stance now. She looks happier :)

44BA36F1-BC23-4B5F-B2C2-26471046E2BF.jpeg

B8D48977-EE4A-43C5-9860-B89015F0B044.jpeg

4FC7AADC-43BF-4486-908C-37F63F0E7D7F.jpeg

Edit: forgot to mention that I replaced the bushings with poly greasable which I plan to do to the front as well. I will likely leave the front springs as is but will replace the pins and bushes with the same energy suspension Poly.

Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Me too!

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Great looking rig! Where did you buy that rear hitch from? I like how it sorta tucks up under the frame.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Great looking rig! Where did you buy that rear hitch from? I like how it sorta tucks up under the frame.
That hitch was on it when I got the 40 from Dan @MountainGoat. I really like it as well...I know it's not what came from Toyota, but it should have been...it's clean looking and easy to use.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
The early model cowl vents actually used a cable pull to actuate the cowl vent. It was a poor design, and they went away from it in 1968 to what you see below where the pull shaft attaches to a separate point on the actuator shaft. In my early year, the cable pulled from the other side of the spring in the middle. But when the linkage started to not operate as easily, this cable broke quickly. My linkage was completely frozen.

This knob and cable were completely missing on my 40. If anyone comes across either type of these knob/shafts, let me know, as I would eventually like to at least have the correct knob. The guy on MUD has some, but they are like $75.

View attachment 91328

Still looking for the vent stuff Paul?

Good deal on mud

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
This is tempting. I still need the gasket and the pull for sure. But I made my own gasket and pull and both are doing great so the decision whether to blow $200 to get a little better is tough when there is so much other stuff needed :)

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
linking the carb reset to the OG2 thread.

And I also want to document that I cannot believe that it has been over 5 years since I bought the 40 from Dan! I just RE-registered for another 5 years as a classic vehicle. Thank God no emissions but did have to sign an affidavit stating I would not drive more than 3 or 5k miles per year. Not an issue Unless the grocery store moves 100 miles away!