need a battery. Which one? and where to buy?

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Bringing this thread up once again but this time for the 100 series.

I'm getting my $85 bucks back from my flooded Costco Interstate battery that croaked. I put a red top in the 40 two years ago and it is still flying great. I am going to add a deep cycle to the 100, then add a starting battery down the road and move the deep cycle to the aux spot in a dual battery setup.

The local 4 Wheel Parts has some good prices on the Optima Yellow Top at $200 and the Odyssey PC1500T (standard group 34) for $228. I have been brand loyal to Optima even through the Denver to Mexico transition but I have heard awesome stuff about the Odyssey's and on paper and real world tests they outperform the Yellow Tops on everything but initial cost. Think they are worth the extra 10% in $$$$? Both have identical 3 year replacement warranties.

FWIW, Sears Platinum's are no more. I was excited to get one of those with Slee's battery tray but Sears has stopped making the Platinum's per the salesman at sears... Anyone know the scoop there?

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
It is kind of spendy, but the "x2" blue top at batteries plus, has been the best battery I've ever owned. It is made by Northstar.

Last edited:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member

Attachments

• X2_Power_group31.png
    X2_Power_group31.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 265

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
FWIW, Sears Platinum's are no more. I was excited to get one of those with Slee's battery tray but Sears has stopped making the Platinum's per the salesman at sears... Anyone know the scoop there?

I bet Odyssey got tired of Sears selling more batteries than they were :) The Sears Platinum was made by Odyssey for sears. I'm bummed to hear they are no longer doing it because I have had great luck with my Platinum. I abuse the heck out of it running it down and charging it back up and it has held up well even with the abuse.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I just replaced both the batteries in my 60. Went with an Optima Red top Starting Battery and Optima Yellow top deep cycle. The Yellow top I replaced was 7 years old and the only reason it went dead was my own fault: didn't trickle charge it over Winter and haven't been vigilant about tracking down a small parasitic drain in my charging system. Only 3 year replacement warranty though, so those X2's look good as well.

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
These threads make me feel old. :( I looked back and found that I said I was shopping for batteries 3 years ago, but I haven't done anything about it. Good timing on the revival I suppose, since I also need advice.

First time I've ever cross shopped batteries for more than CCA. What's amp hours in the real world mean? That X2 has double the red top I've been using, but it weighs almost twice as much too. What do you look for to get a quality one for the kind of stuff we do, but NOT one for use in a dual batt setup?

I read back through all the pages, but it appears that a bunch of people wound up singing a different tune on a batt purchase a year or so later.
So in 2016, in a 40 with a tray that fits a red top almost perfectly, and staying sealed style, what's the best for it and a fridge?
In the 100 in a stock tray, occasional fridge, what's the best there?

Oh, one more thing: That old old old Optima blem that Steve H. shipped me is STILL alive! I put it on my driveway gates, hooked it to a trickle charger, and put it on a lamp timer. It charges about an hour a day, but it's been able to run the gates all day no problem. I'm half tempted to try it in a car again and just see what happens, even more so if I have the little lithium jump box with me since I think I can start on that alone if I had to.

Last edited:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
One nice thing about the X2 Power is that you can get it in a group 27 size. I'm assuming the 100 series uses that like an 80? https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli27agmdp

Plenty of battery to run a fridge and what ever else without the need for dual batteries. This is what I have as my primary. I have a group 31 in my garage waiting to become my secondary along with a National Luna controller. Now I need some time.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Yeah I don't want to spend that much on the x2. I could get a red top and yellow top for that much and start a dual batter system. I'm just trying to land on one between the yellow top and odyssey.

Corbett, I found the you tube video on how an Odessey is made and it was informative to say the least about what the different specs net you. IMHO, my red top has treated me well in my 40, but the yellow top can start the vehicle just as well AND come back to life if heaviy drained, such as leaving the fridge or lights on too long.

Basically, I'm looking at yellow tops for both my 100 and I'll add one to the 40 when the current one gives up the ghost.

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
I just checked the red top in the 40 this morning. 2006!
I was reading up on the odyssey, and some of it sounds like Optimas of old. gel, mat, lead instead of lead-alloy.
Do you have a link to that video, it may sway my decision?

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Here's the video... Optima has a three part series that seems more marketing verses specs and behind the scenes process.

How an Odyssey Battery is made.

And the Optima video 1/3

It's tough for me my Optima went an honest 11 years, but the Odessey makes a god case for quality. :thumb:

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Thx. Just checked the 100, and it actually has an Odyssey extreme in it. Doh! Nothing like being blind about your own junk.

That's a nice surprise! Looks like the battery fairy dropped off a good one. Maybe I'll tuck my interstate Costco battery under the pillow tonight! :D

TacoDane

Rising Sun Member
Batteries Plus has some great EGM batteries. My motorcycle battery has been running since '11 with a crap charging system. Anyone with a business can get a commercial account and save some dough too. I would never buy a battery from WalMart. My first two Optimas were great, seems like the quality had slipped though.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
I think I am still going to fork my $$$ over to Optima, and dive in and buy a yellow and red top for a dual battery system. They have always been good to me and the interweb has a long memory that sometimes isn't justified.

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+

B-RAD

I need to replace my second battery that is hard wired for my ARB fridge and Ham radio in my 100 series,...is the Model #34 Yellow Top the right battery model # from Optima? Other suggestions on other model numbers that I need to consider??? TIA

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
You would need to share what your current second battery is. Was it a slee tray or factory second battery tray?

B-RAD

You would need to share what your current second battery is. Was it a slee tray or factory second battery tray?

It was a custom battery tray that fits up close to the windshield, on the passenger side. The battery that currently that is in there is an NGT Extreme, 10" x 7" by 6 1/4" It looks like the D34 is similar in W and L, and about an 1.5 inches taller. The D35 may be a safer bet and says it "fits" my 2000 LC.