• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

need a battery. Which one? and where to buy?

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
With my Optimas I was getting excellent life in my daily driven Tacoma that held voltage around 14.1 when running, the 100 series on the other hand was around 13.7-13.8v most of the time and those batteries didn't last well. The last one I pulled appeared dead but after a couple of weeks on a "Battery Minder AGM" it came back pretty strong. I've since boosted the charge voltage in the Land Cruiser (with a diode for voltage drop) and use the battery minder regularly on that set. Basically I'm following the instructions and trying to stay at the top end of the voltage range to attain closer to 100% charge. I guess my experience is similar to both of you in some ways; Battery minders have impressed me recovering multiple seemingly toasted batteries (don't know what your using Mike?), and keeping AGM at 100% with a maintainer is key especially if not daily driven.

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Mike you may be right, I'm going to try to breathe some life back into these DHP's, just seems too early to give up on them. Maybe a couple weeks on the charger like Andy did is what it will take.. if I can get these batteries to be good again I'll put them in the GX, which is going to get a dual battery setup sometime this summer.

In the meantime, I joined the X2 crew. I think I lost the OEM positive clamp so had to run to the store after dinner, it's all bolted up now even though it could be a little cleaner. But it's actually a lot more legit than what I had hooked up before. First impression is wow- hearing the starter wind up that high makes this truck sound like a little Honda or something, that has to be 30% more RPM easy.

before and after... yes I did finish in the dark. :hill:

Attachments

• IMG_4111.JPG
    IMG_4111.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_4116.JPG
    IMG_4116.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 382

60wag

Rising Sun Member
It's time to move up from those wimpy group 30s to a 6T. I think I can fit 4 of them, if I take out the engine :)

Attachments

• batteries.jpg
    batteries.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 360

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Actually the batteries are spec'd for a deuce and half.

The wheels in the background are on my new camping trailer.

Well, not really but it is a twin axle trailer with 35's on it. It's part of a project for work that will be a portable camera system with a diesel generator and 1200Ah of batteries on it. Once it gets further along I'll post more pictures.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
So, my Group 31 DH Platinum finally kicked the bucket after 8 years of BRUTAL treatment. Unfortunately, I do not want to spend the 4 or 500 dollars to replace it with the Odyssey equivalent. So, I found a Johnson Controls made (interstate factory) AGM Group 31 for 20% off. It has a "Carquest" label, so I'll keep my fingers crossed :). $200 out the door for a group 31 AGM is super cheap.

I also replaced my fusible link while I was there.

Question: the battery came with only stud posts. They make conversion posts but is there anything wrong with hooking everything to the studs like I have them currently?

49c6b6b2c2d6561a78c2dffb86345f4a.jpg

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Nice deal. I have been using the studs for years, though I made a bus bar for the positive so I'd not have to undo all wires if I wanted to undo one.

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
X2 review

I finally got an extended weekend to run the fridge on the X2 in the 100. I took my jump pack along just in case, but never needed it. Granted I wasn't in the desert in July, but I tend not to do that! By comparison to running the fridge on both the optima and the Odyssey, this one is far better (and bigger).
No regrets and will likely move to an X2 in the 40 once that 11yr old optima finally gives it up.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
X2 on the X2! Lasted much longer on all our trips this summer than my other marine batteries. Going to upgrade all our trucks to X2!

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Pic of your bus bar?! I am about to hook up all my lights and winch and the last set up was a mess with all the cables hooked to the posts! This may be a better option. I also thought about running a fuse panel or something of the sort but have no experience with electrical components and thus have no idea how to clean it all up and separate the whole mess.
Side note: anyone know anything about upgrading my electrical system to compensate for the draw the winch pulls? Maybe a higher output alternator?
Nice deal. I have been using the studs for years, though I made a bus bar for the positive so I'd not have to undo all wires if I wanted to undo one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Anyone near Sloan's Lake have a charger that might revive my 4 year old Deka Intimidator Group 31. I left a light on and its dead dead dead. Reading 6 volts. My battery tender charge is not doing it. I can likely jumpstart it but thinking a its due for one of those fancy AGM charges. Its onlt the second time I have fully discharged it and while it may be time for a new battery, maybe not.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Anyone near Sloan's Lake have a charger that might revive my 4 year old Deka Intimidator Group 31. I left a light on and its dead dead dead. Reading 6 volts. My battery tender charge is not doing it. I can likely jumpstart it but thinking a its due for one of those fancy AGM charges. Its onlt the second time I have fully discharged it and while it may be time for a new battery, maybe not.

I have a charger you can use. Its made by odyssey and is designed for AGM batteries and reconditioning all batteries. I can drop it by if you want?
16012380193089125667557193781185.jpg

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Thanks! @FJCDan also offered an optima charger and he's pretty close. I jumped it and let it run 30 min. Have my 100 to drive & get it.

wesintl

RS Moderator
you can use jumper cables to bring it up to whatever voltage your charger will start working at.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
you can use jumper cables to bring it up to whatever voltage your charger will start working at.
Yup, I jumped it and let it run 30 min. Put on my 3amp charger/maintainer.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Due to some suspect electrical issues, I decided to replace my Deka Intimidator AGM 9A34R. I purchased it 4½ years ago from Hensley in Denver: good price, but inconvenient location (for me) and only open M-F.

I found that Batteries Plus sells the same battery under the Duracell Platinum name: model SLI34AGM. They gave me a $20 discount so my price out the door was $163 -- which is only $6 more expensive than the Deka I bought from Hensley in 2011. Better yet, Batteries Plus is open 7 days a week and has tons of locations.

Well, my Duracell Platinum AGM battery lasted almost 5 years. Bought it in May 2016. It tested bad and was bulging -- the guy at NAPA thought it had frozen, which I didn't realize was a thing. Regardless, it was clearly toast.

I replaced it with the NAPA The Legend Premium AGM Battery BCI No. 34R 750 A Glass Mat. It's made by East Penn Mfg., Co. -- I'm pretty sure it's a clone to both the Deka Intimidator and the Duracell Platinum. You can see in the photo that it looks the same as my old Deka. If history is a predictor of future performance, I will need a new battery in fall of 2025.

I keep the Deka on the shelf for emergency use, even though it tests bad and is 10 years old. The guy at NAPA thought the Duracell was in better shape, but I didn't like the bulging sidewall.

The NAPA battery price was a great deal because I got lucky with a 20% off flash sale on their website. Ordered it on Sunday, it was ready to be picked up on Tuesday. Gotta love the internet!

IMG_3103.jpeg

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Well, my Duracell Platinum AGM battery lasted almost 5 years. Bought it in May 2016. It tested bad and was bulging -- the guy at NAPA thought it had frozen, which I didn't realize was a thing. Regardless, it was clearly toast.
I imagine most people don't know that. Also the temperature where the electrolyte will freeze is charge dependent. A fully charged battery will have a lower freezing point than one that's discharged.

Have to think back to chemistry. The electrolyte is sulfuric acid, H2SO4, with approximately a specific gravity on the order of 1.1 to 1.4 in batteries. The actual value depends on temperature, concentration (which is a function of battery type, deep cycle are usually higher density) and state of charge.

Anyway, an example of freezing point for battery electrolytes. This isn't universal, the actual chart will be unique for each model of battery, although they will all be similar.

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 5.38.40 AM.png

I kind of doubt your battery actually froze since you don't live in the mountains or Wyomikota where you'd see the sustained low temperatures. But if it was old and left substantially discharged it's a possibility.

The cases can bulge just from aging, the hot and cold, UV, ozone, acid just wears them out even without the added pressure of frozen electrolyte. Remember water expands as it freezes and battery acid is roughly 25% to 50% sulfuric acid diluted with water.

There's some connection here to how you pay for a battery and the simple quality of the components they use. Cheap batteries use thin, cheap plastic. That's just economic reality. Then how much air they ship you inside the case factors in. A higher end battery will have more lead and acid and therefore less room for expansion since the outside dimensions of a battery are fixed by BCI specs.

The take-away, keep your batteries charged and you'll probably never freeze one.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
BTW, should mention to watch units. That chart is given in °C, so when you drop below 50% state of charge the possibility does start to increase quite dramatically. At 25% SoC the point that particular curve indicates freezing could occur at -4°F and it wouldn't take but a day for the mass of a battery to equalize. A dead battery will freeze like it's water, at 32°F. But >75% SoC it would take interior of Alaska (-58°F) to start to worry.

Also, if you suspect you have a frozen battery and it has not split the case bring it inside and let it warm up gently, preferably in a tub or something just in case it does leak. Don't attempt to accelerate and definitely do not put it on a charger or attempt a jump start. Frozen electrolyte doesn't work and pushing high current through it can cause an explosion.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Optima - vote (non plussed)

both of my red tops lasted 2 years a piece. I think that sucks.

I went back to my grandpa's advice: "Get the biggest dam (sic) batt-rey (more sic) that fits in the rig. Get it from somplace ez to find in case it craps out." (He meant sears, but these days it is wal-mart).

That "batt-rey" has 4 years on it and is working fine. It is big, heavy and yellow. I don't remember what it is, but it wasn't very much dough compared to an optima or other "spiral tech" battery.

-LeiniesRed

I got less than a year out of my redtop, and they refused to warranty. Never again.