BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
BEF2351F-0489-45A5-B694-4D215ABAF1B5.jpeg
ECE0E2D1-93B3-43F2-BC98-9E2AEBD51114.jpeg
DEDA7FF5-A305-4188-B08B-3F339CB357A1.jpeg
F54C9CF5-1293-44A9-BA23-3F90AA9C30D3.jpeg

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
It is no kidding $36 for a cheese burger, fries and a bottle of Coke at Alpine Meadows/Palisades Tahoe.
And this is one of many reasons I love Ski Cooper. $8 beers. Many of the food items are $5-$10. See the same bartender everytime I go and she knows the beer I like there. And that's just the advantages at the lodge.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
And this is one of many reasons I love Ski Cooper. $8 beers. Many of the food items are $5-$10. See the same bartender everytime I go and she knows the beer I like there. And that's just the advantages at the lodge.
^^^^^This. Ski Cooper is just so much fun and the lift attendants can wear beards!!

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
I’ve only been to ski cooper once, but it was great!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I agree, skiing is losing it's soul.

But I will say if you separate the "core" of terrain and snow from the focus distracting corporate "experience" of lodging, food, equipment sales and all that Cooper is certainly fun but the big destinations ended up big for a reason.

It's $229 for a day ticket to Palisades Tahoe/ Alpine Meadows/Squaw Olympic Valley (whatever they want it called) and $95 for Cooper. That works out to $0.20 per acre at Cooper (480 acres, 64 trails, 5 lifts) and $0.04 per acre at Palisades Tahoe (6000 acres, at least 270 trails, 42 lifts).

The intangibles like lift lines and atmosphere, indies like Cooper blow away Vail and Alterra resorts in that respect. But as much as I get your point (trust me, I do) just can't get past that it's a real shame that they've ruined such good places to ski.

Last edited:

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
I agree, skiing is losing it's soul.

But I will say if you separate the "core" of terrain and snow from the focus distracting corporate "experience" of lodging, food, equipment sales and all that Cooper is certainly fun but the big destinations ended up big for a reason.

It's $229 for a day ticket to Palisades Tahoe/ Alpine Meadows/Squaw Olympic Valley (whatever they want it called) and $95 for Cooper. That works out to $0.20 per acre at Cooper (480 acres, 64 trails, 5 lifts) and $0.04 per acre at Palisades Tahoe (6000 acres, at least 270 trails, 42 lifts).

The intangibles like lift lines and atmosphere, indies like Cooper blow away Vail and Alterra resorts in that respect. But as much as I get your point (trust me, I do) just can't agree that it's a real shame that they've ruined such good places to ski.
I think cost per acre is a silly metric. Big or small I tend to find the runs where there is powder and trees and just stick to those most of the day. Not like you can ski the entirety of the big resorts in a day anyway. Cooper comes through in spades with powder and trees all day every day no matter when the most recent storm was. And their groomers are great too and not crowded.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I think cost per acre is a silly metric. Big or small I tend to find the runs where there is powder and trees and just stick to those most of the day. Not like you can ski the entirety of the big resorts in a day anyway. Cooper comes through in spades with powder and trees all day every day no matter when the most recent storm was. And their groomers are great too and not crowded.
Hey now, don't go disrespecting my completely made up metric.

I may be biased about Tahoe, though.

IMG_2527_mid.jpeg

Honestly so far my favorite this year has got to be White Fish. It was also only $95 for a walk-up ticket, cool vibe.

IMG_2611_mid.jpeg

Although it looked more like this most days.

IMG_2600_mid.png

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
We will be changing diapers in July!

And hopefully still wheelin'!

ra,shortsleeve_one_piece,x840,FFFFFF:97ab1c12de,front-c,120,132,600,600-bg,f8f8f8.u2.jpg
Congrats! Still working on a couple of the prerequisites to that myself but at least I'm actually dating someone so that's progress lol.