• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Lift Height Feedback - 2.5" vs 4"

Lefty

Rising Sun Member
I’ll be installing a bump it off road dual swing out in a few weeks. Not sure how much that weighs.... so I’ll have that plus my homemade drawer kit, fridge, and RTT.

Luckily I didn’t need a spring compressor. I ended up having to disconnect the front panhard rod though. That and standing on the axle gave me just enough drop to squeeze the springs in.

All that’s left is the caster correction and extended brake lines. Now I’m debating whether I should do the plates or spend the cash and get new lower control arms. I’m so over budget I’m thinking I may as well, lol.

E3A6C2C4-2232-4EF5-978D-A68FB8EACAB3.jpeg

Lefty

Rising Sun Member
A couple of more pics. The second shows the snapped swaybar mounting bracket. It just crumbled. If I’d have know this would happen I’d have removed the sway bar completely before I dropped the axle.

F93BE0F9-D860-4B51-B9EA-C90DB6A349F5.jpeg
B7BC7626-C855-4321-A451-02F5E4682989.jpeg

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
unless you want to go up to 37's a 4" lift is more hassle than its worth IMHO. I've run 2", 3" and 4" currently. Matching the spring rates with your truck weight is more important to ride quality than the published lift height number.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
unless you want to go up to 37's a 4" lift is more hassle than its worth IMHO. I've run 2", 3" and 4" currently. Matching the spring rates with your truck weight is more important to ride quality than the published lift height number.
That is where I ultimately ended up. I really like the full time 4wd and did not want to deal with driveline issues. I am very confident the 2.5" is going to get me everywhere I ever want to go. In the end I am going to be spending close to what I would have on a 4" kit but I have a feeling the ride quality is going to be excellent. Before I reached out to Dobinsons I had my rig weighed (5780 with two passengers and no gear) and they recommended the tapered springs based on my current configuration and planned use. I also went with adjustable panhards to keep everything centered. New rear LCA because my bushings were absolutely shot, and when I removed them I also noticed the drivers side had a nice bend in it that I could not see on the vehicle. This setup should satisfy my 3 goals. Proper fitment of 35's, maximize flex, and keep center of gravity as low as possible.

Pretty impressed with the free height of these springs and glad I have a friend to help manipulate the axle when we install.

20201115_184846.jpg

Now if anyone is looking for some used OME springs and shocks I will have a set available this weekend. :cool:

satchel

Rising Sun Member
Would you be able to post up the free height measurement?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Sometime we should get a bunch of 80 owners together with all the different lifts and take turns driving each of them. I'm just curious how much different they are from one another. I've been running the Slee 4" lift on my 80 since 2008, and it's still going strong. I replaced all the OME shocks a few years ago.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Sometime we should get a bunch of 80 owners together with all the different lifts and take turns driving each of them. I'm just curious how much different they are from one another. I've been running the Slee 4" lift on my 80 since 2008, and it's still going strong. I replaced all the OME shocks a few years ago.
I would be down for that. I still need to attend an actual meeting or run and officially join. I've had no excuse with the zoom meetings the last few months.

Lefty

Rising Sun Member
KC,

Good call on the 2.5s. I installed slee’s front control arms to correct the caster. It’s not severe, but it does feel like there’s a slight driveline vibration with 3.5s. I’m likely going to move down to the 2.5s up front until I’m ready to replace the driveshaft with a DC.

Patrick

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
KC,

Good call on the 2.5s. I installed slee’s front control arms to correct the caster. It’s not severe, but it does feel like there’s a slight driveline vibration with 3.5s. I’m likely going to move down to the 2.5s up front until I’m ready to replace the driveshaft with a DC.

Patrick
I was wondering about that. You looked like you were walking pretty tall in those photos!

Funny thing I had a brake line start leaking on me today. Its almost like the cruiser knows I have a new set of steel ones from wits end sitting in the back and didn't want to wait any longer.

Lefty

Rising Sun Member
Haha! I should’ve mentioned that when I talked to him!

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Well got all of the goodies installed today. Long day on an unlevel driveway....

Went from the OME 851/860 with standard shocks to;

Dobinsons 2.5 tapered front coils
4" lift IMS front shocks.
Front panhard
Dobinsons 2" tapered rears
4" lift IMS rear shocks.
Rear panhard
Rear UCA and LCA.
Wits end extended SS brake lines.

Going to get an alignment readout and then order the appropriate front arms from Delta.

Initial impressions are that the ride feels much softer in general. I can certainly feel the difference between the variable and linear coils. Going into a turn it almost feels like its going to be too soft, but the rate quickly firms up after the first inch of compression. Bombed down a few roads this evening that used to rattle the bones and it was much smoother. Almost felt like I was running 12psi but I was still at street pressure.

Excited to get some trail time with the new setup. Still need to figure out bumpstop extensions before doing anything crazy.

20201122_104607.jpg
20201122_110823.jpg

One of many toasted bushings.
20201122_110311.jpg

Lift height before a quick shakedown run. I think it settled about 1/2" since then. I'll get some hub to fender measurements tomorrow.

20201122_162822.jpg

I also had a friend join for the day. Apparently this ermine has set up a house in my wood pile.

20201122_120506.jpg

Lefty

Rising Sun Member
That’s a nice little Sunday you had there. The truck looks good! Glad to hear you’re happy with the ride. Let me know when you’re going out for the shakedown run 💪🏻

Smakee

I just finished installing the Dobinson MRR 6” shocks with the 3.5” tapered coils (same coils as @Lefty ) last weekend. I got the adjustable panhard installed up front and the Delta 4” lift radius arms and rear panhard bracket on this weekend.

I’m completely unloaded right now as bumpers and sliders are awaiting installation and my front center hub to fender measures 24.5” and rear measures 25.5”. I expect with the extra weight the height will each drop by about an inch. I have some work to do on alignment and centering the axles properly...she’s tracking pretty randomly right now, but I want to get the weight on her before making final adjustments.

I also have some extended lower control arms on order, and I’m going to install those to hopefully get the rear caster right. The new Whiteline HD sway bar doesn’t fit stock links so also waiting for the new links to show up before putting the sway bar back on.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
I just finished installing the Dobinson MRR 6” shocks with the 3.5” tapered coils (same coils as @Lefty ) last weekend. I got the adjustable panhard installed up front and the Delta 4” lift radius arms and rear panhard bracket on this weekend.

I’m completely unloaded right now as bumpers and sliders are awaiting installation and my front center hub to fender measures 24.5” and rear measures 25.5”. I expect with the extra weight the height will each drop by about an inch. I have some work to do on alignment and centering the axles properly...she’s tracking pretty randomly right now, but I want to get the weight on her before making final adjustments.

I also have some extended lower control arms on order, and I’m going to install those to hopefully get the rear caster right. The new Whiteline HD sway bar doesn’t fit stock links so also waiting for the new links to show up before putting the sway bar back on.

The dobinsons tapered seem to be the new hot option. The sale they are currently running g definitely helps too.

Smakee

The dobinsons tapered seem to be the new hot option. The sale they are currently running g definitely helps too.
I got tired of waiting for Slinky and Mill Creek Overland to get their $hit together and I have a friend who swears by Dobinson who has the same set up. After doing a bunch of research on it AND the sale, it was a no brainer for what I’m hoping to accomplish on this rig.

Here’s how it sits today....no rear interior installed, so zero weight.
3E29A8B4-3F67-4B0D-9E54-EE74B0F661D2.jpeg
8DF609B8-9972-46EB-B3CB-D47727E47746.jpeg