got a 40 - now it begins

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Nice Mike

I saw that ad and was pondering it. Glad it went to a good home!

Whats the 75 look like?

Ken

wesintl

RS Moderator
Schweet 40!

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
8 E 17

carb76.jpg

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Looks awesome, I love the color! :)

let me know if you start to sell the AA parts.

sure will.

Nice Mike

I saw that ad and was pondering it. Glad it went to a good home!

Whats the 75 look like?

Ken

Thanks, I am glad to own it. The 75 is clapped out. Not sure about the mechanicals though, its got a 4 speed and who knows what else yet ... need to do a full inventory of everything

Personally that's what I would do too. Full FJ62 drivetrain.

I like this idea, read a good article on it, http://bushrat.hdcruisers.org/3FEconversion.pdf
but just getting it back to stock is daunting enough...

I'm excited about the whole thing though.

talk about daunting: the after looks so far off...

P1030281.JPG

engine_shot.jpg

subzali

Hard Core 4+
yeah, well, they have an A/C compressor wedged in there too. And a power steering pump. So don't worry too much ;)

8 E 17 is 1978, May 17 build date. I see the E 17 on the top of that carb, but it's stamped in the wrong spot. It should be on that boss just to the left of the E 17.

That, however, is not a '78 carb. If it was it would have the bowl vent coming off the top. In addition, a federal '78 carb would also have the Hot Idle Compensation (HIC) box, and a California would have two vacuum ports on the top front rather than one. It looks to me to be a '75 or '76 carb, not sure if Federal or California. How many vacuum ports does it have on the side, where the idle adjustment screw is?

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
The 8 cast on the carb identifies the hose that goes to the #8 port on the emissions control box. At least that is how things are numbered on my '77

PhatFJ

Hard Core 4+
Nice 40!! Depending on what you are looking to do, stock restoration or dd / trail rig, let this point you the direction with the drive train. Stock restoration is going to increase the resale value considerably but if you are looking to build the dd / trail rig then the sky is the limit on choices. Let you desire and wallet be determining factor.. If you do decide to go with the 3FE, I have one you can go through, it has about 200K on it and is a long block, compression is fair and you can have it cheep.. $400.00 no harness though. Good luck with you new project, great find!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Old40Dog

Rising Sun Member
Truly a great find Mike! Good luck with the resto.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
My buddy down the street has a full 3FE setup if you ever want to take a peek... it is a slick setup and it sounds AWESOME! That and the 60 springs, SOA... its a bad little truck in general.

Drew

simps80

Rising Sun Member
My buddy down the street has a full 3FE setup if you ever want to take a peek... it is a slick setup and it sounds AWESOME! That and the 60 springs, SOA... its a bad little truck in general.

Drew

I think I've settled on the 2f route...stock restoration mode, the 3fe setup does seem more practical though as far as driveability concerns go....

Truly a great find Mike! Good luck with the resto.

Wow, super cool 40! Can't wait to see it back on the road. :)

Nice 40!! Depending on what you are looking to do, stock restoration or dd / trail rig, let this point you the direction with the drive train. snip..
Good luck with you new project, great find!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks guys, I'm excited for the challenge

yeah, well, they have an A/C compressor wedged in there too. And a power steering pump. So don't worry too much ;)

and a motor :lmao:

thanks for the encouragement everyone. I might have a line on a complete 78 2f as the starting point, so I'm encouraged right now.

going out to the garage to make vroom vroom noises
:)

Looks like a great cruiser to start with. Keep the pictures and progress coming.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
A good-running 2F is just as driveable as a 3FE, good choice :thumb:

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
A good-running 2F is just as driveable as a 3FE, good choice :thumb:

You should come ride in my buddies Matt, no denying there is mo' power and smoother acceleration in the 3FE...

Now if I left the 2f it will only to gain gobs of horse power. :thumb:

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Worked on a couple little things today.

Drug it over to the local spray-n-wash to get all the grime off from the trip home. The wife drove the 80 towing the 40...so proud :Princess: :thumb:

ran into Christo there in his self-powered BMW very :cool: car.

anyway here's a clean one as she sits in the corner

DSC_0750.JPG

the other thing was the rear ambi doors didn't open/shut correctly, the passenger side just needed some lubing the driver side needed the rod to the bottom adjusted. Had to use a screw driver to get it open, now they both function as they should

I love Toyota's engineering, the rod is cam'd with a nut and bolt so easy

DSC_0753.JPG

Anyway; hope to get the engine thing squared away soon.

so tempting to go full blown OCD with this thing and start taking it all apart and powder coating everything and painting bolts and craziness... don't want to do that; want to get it going and drive it.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Nice find Mike! With that carb cooling fan, I bet it's a California emissions vehicle. What color is the emissions sticker on the hood - white with black letters or black with white letters?

Interesting that it doesn't have the EGR light like Matt's does...

black w/ white letters you were absolutely right, CA emissions vehicle.

DSC_0756.JPG

good news is according to this:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/for...&highlight=1976+emissions+egr+air+rail&page=2

begin quote excerpt:
"
Update:
In case anyone is interested, I called the emissions ref and was informed if you live in the enhanced emissions area I could pass my 1977 fj40 2f with header and no EGR as long as I installed the air injection system.
So I promptly spent the next couple of hours installing the AI system and went to the Air Care Colorado and passed. Still runs good. I can't tell much of a difference.
Hopefully you wont hear any more of my whining about emissions
"
end quote excerpt

I only need an air pump and air rail.

right ?