• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

got a 40 - now it begins

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Soo..
Extremely encouraged by this..
I grabbed the pile of oem parts to include new plugs wires and air cleaner and went about the businesd of getting it running to lash the valves again and tune the carb.

newtuneupparts.jpg

I have said it before and we all know this...but the difference between oem and even top tier aftermarket on some of these parts is stunning.. I was amazed again at the quality difference between the oem wires and the TWO other non oem wire sets I have used during this process..they are perfect length come with loom brackets that when installed yield a perfect rams horn of groomed wires.
And they all "click" in perfect on both cap and plug side...

Ok anyway...

Put all that in....fired it up and could feel and hear an immediate difference.

Got it warm..rotated 1 tdc compression lashed 123579 then 360 for 4 6 8 10 11 12..got this memorized can do it in my sleep now...apparently some times more accurately than others...lol

Anyway it sounded real good and I will spare you the video of it running with the cup of water with ZERO ripples....i took that video because the contrast was so apparent..before at idle it was so rough it shook tools..heavy ones..off the fenders..the difference was amazing...

So I lean drop tuned for awhile then hooked up vacuum to see if I could tune to max vacuum for an emissions test this week feeling pretty good about it at this stage. ...

First shot no further work showed 17.5 unches if vacuum rock solid no quiver!!!! That was stark stark delta from before as far as zero movement of the needle and also a full 2.5 inches higher than before running at an 850 idle. 17.5 at 5300 feet is real good from what I have read.

This was at 650 rpm and 7 degrees timing (again for e-test)...sorry my phone was upside down...

You may know how exciting watching a vacuum gauge is to me at this point...but if you don't. .let me tell you..I dont miss broncos games...I missed the broncos today doing this work and was very happy about it...this was extreme best case..I was putting this off fearing I screwed up on the piston rings..hoping it was "just" a bum valve job by gunn..and instead it was just too tight of adjustment...

And because she was so cooperative with me today .. I was no longer mad at her..so I loaded the family up and took her out for a dinner date....

dinnerdate.jpg

Last edited:

Paparoot

Rising Sun Member
Great job, Mike. Glad to hear that it wasn't anything major. Can't wait to go on a run with you.:)

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Woo hoo! Great news!

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Excellent work! I bet she screams on the highway now. :) fastest tractor on the road!

rover67

Rising Sun Member
SWEET!!!

Man I'm SO glad you got it going!!

It's gotta be the best feeling in the world!!

Congratulations, now go enjoy it!!

Crash

Rising Sun Member
What a relief! Stress like that is not good for the system but what a rush of joy when the problem gets solved. Mike, let me show you how to set valves with a bump starter - this chapter of your rebuild would never have happened if you'd have known how to lash this way. Great job on keeping after it and working to solve an aggravating condition. :thumb:
Street races in stock motor 40s? If Jan, the woman who bought my red '77 earlier this year will let me borrow the truck, I'll be happy to take all of y'all's money! :D

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Oooooo. FJ40 street races. I'm in!

What a relief! Stress like that is not good for the system but what a rush of joy when the problem gets solved. Mike, let me show you how to set valves with a bump starter - this chapter of your rebuild would never have happened if you'd have known how to lash this way. Great job on keeping after it and working to solve an aggravating condition. :thumb:
Street races in stock motor 40s? If Jan, the woman who bought my red '77 earlier this year will let me borrow the truck, I'll be happy to take all of y'all's money! :D

In. And then we'll do 80 street races. Or FI 80/100 street races :D

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Thanks everybody!!
I am totally stoked

Steve I will take you up on that bump start lesson for sure!

Gonna try for an e-test probably today..
The temp tag they gave me for 100somebucks is good for 10 days...so gotta hustle

simps80

Rising Sun Member
empass.jpg

Done gonna go get plates!

Learned a lot today from Steve Crase on tuning...thanks for the lessons and the comradery!!

I have got a lot of mentoring and assistance and encouragement during this project..

Mike d
Steve
John
Ricardo
Jeff Zepp
Marco
Gary
Ige
Subzali
Ken d.

And others...

I am thankful for all of it!!

Its not like I am trying to give an oscar speech but I am pleased and thankful.

I will likely continue using this thread for updates as the project transitions ...

Thanks again

:risingsun

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Woo hoo!

rover67

Rising Sun Member
there you go man, thats your big a$$ pat on the back, congratulations. That's a long road to get to the end of.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Talk about one of the best possible root causes. Congrats on passing smog too. Just curious, how much of the original factory emissions do you have connected and operating?

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Talk about one of the best possible root causes. Congrats on passing smog too. Just curious, how much of the original factory emissions do you have connected and operating?

All of it

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
This thread needs some pics :)

photo-3.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

subzali

Hard Core 4+
x3. Did I miss it when you stated where you got your upper radiator hose from (or all radiator hoses for that matter)? Are they OEM?