got a 40 - now it begins

simps80

Rising Sun Member
The thrash continues...
Items done: (its like dominos)
Needed to fill tcase so...
Parking brake in and adjusted.
New speedo cable installed with new felt seal.
The old drive was missing only the casing was there.
Filled trans and tcase
Installed the shafts from rocky mountain. They balanced them put in new u-joints and re-phased one yoke.

Front brakes looked good
Put on tires
Painted up new shroud from mikes discount toyota parts warehouse.
Installed new belts. Saved belt labels cause that was a colossal waste of time getting them right by application in the part store computers.

Finished install of radiator including good rubber instead of the water wicking old insulators.

Finished up battery tray.
Got group 27 battery.

Installed all the various inspection covers and splash shields.
Filled radiator.
Filled engine oil.

Clutch master expected delivery Wednesday.
EGR hardware, mirrors and other smalls Tuesday.
Brake master Tuesday.
Mechanical oil pressure gauge Tuesday.

I had ordered a 1/8"bspt male to 1/8" npt female adapter then I used another egr bolt that had threads for the original electric oil pressure sender. So now I can have both. I want verification on this motor. I want no doubts.

oil.jpg

I picked a vintage looking gauge cause I wanted it to look right.
I think a newer style gauge would look silly. I will mount it in some non-intrusive way.

mAf5eQ1t_L2rq2CUMwXZKwg.jpg

I have its twin for water temp but the probe is really long so I am still thinking on that one

So tomorrow we drag it down to a&a performance exhaust.

Then its back Wednesday to finish out the list..all parts should be in hand by then.

Putting it and me to bed for the night.
Literally everything that can be done is now done without the parts we are waiting on other than some spit and shine.
That will have to wait till the rally is over and the dust settles and the wife has at least one of the three bays back to use lol

The garage looks beat but the beast looks good..poised and ready to be freed from its 2.5 year incarceration.

bedtime.jpg

Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Looks so good. You found proper width belts at auto stores? My experience was that the Toyota belts had no comparison to be found anywhere

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Yeah post up the belt numbers!

Man that is looking sooo good, you'll have one of the nicest 40s in town with that ride. I'd love to take it for a spin with you. My 2.0 version of my 40 is going to go more towards stock rather than bigger.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Thanks guys for the comments.
And heck yes we can take it out for a spin!
Maybe I can ditch work on a Friday morning and drive it to a nstbc.

I think the pictures may make the body look nicer than it is.
But it is in very good original condition and I am pretty sure after turning wrenches on it for the past 2 years that the 40k on the odometer is 40k not 140k.

All my efforts are focused on running driving.
Making things nice that are related to making it run and drive. If it needed to be done to be functional it also got pretty.
Like the blinged out engine..it didn't have one..so the effort to make it pretty is minimal and functional. Fuel lines are a good example. Starting with a blank slate and acquiring parts from all over..some of the fuel lines were crusty inside and out.
Getting them plated also cleans out the inside...Same thing with bolts very nice to work with new old exact match hardware..ok rambling..

The body work I will leave till later or maybe just leave it in its current natural state...I like some patina on a 38 year old rig.

More thrash today...
Exhaust is done thanks to A&A exhaust. .that place is awesome!! And Scott is super nice and cool. That was today's major goal and they knocked it out of the park. Can't say enough good things there.

After exhaust was done brought her home and found that more parts came in as expected.

New brake master made it so put that in and bled brakes..have good pedal now.

Finished off egr..its a conglomeration of 3 egrs. Had to tap the block for the egr bolts..got correct hardware this time.

Also got the throttle linkage stuff needed to actually install carb. Did that and Mike fixed a couple of my carb linkage mistakes I made that i didn't know I made when I rebuilt the carb last year.

New mirror heads..mine were broken.
So now fuel is done cooling is done.
Windows roll down..mike fixed that while Charlie and I monkeyed with the egr.
Also forgot to take exhaust gasket/ring in to shop..so dropped pipe and put that in.

Finished off the night entertaining ourselves honking the horn with alligator clips. .lol.

Then put her to bed off jack stands on her own 4 feet all by herself.

off2exhausr.jpg

This one is dark..but I like that they routed the exhaust such that they used the stock brace that mounts to the driver rear motor mount.

exhaust2.jpg

egr.jpg

mirror.jpg

horn.jpg

bed1.jpg

Last edited:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Looking good Mike! I run a T for the oil pressure to both stock and aftermarket oil pressure gauges on my '71 '40 and my '87 '60. I just use 1/8 NPT threads...

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
So did you fire her up yet?

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Nope cruiserparts "forgot to ship it"
After paying for air freight.

Gonna see if I can meet up with Ricardo.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
He did order a windshield today. Elite quoted him $1,200 installed. The phone conversation was pretty funny.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Nope cruiserparts "forgot to ship it"
After paying for air freight.

Gonna see if I can meet up with Ricardo.

I have a bunch of LC distributors, non of them resto quality but if you just want to fire it up I can definitely hook you up. I could bring any of them to the Rally on Saturday?

simps80

Rising Sun Member
I have a bunch of LC distributors, non of them resto quality but if you just want to fire it up I can definitely hook you up. I could bring any of them to the Rally on Saturday?

Thanks Jeff I will let you know. I got a couple from Ricardo tonight..THANKS Ricardo!!

If for some reason these don't work I will gladly take you up on that.

All that got done today is the clutch master and hose were put in and we bled the clutch. Nice aisin unit. But that rounds out hydraulics.
Oh and I put a quickie coat of undercoating on the front fenders.

simps80

Rising Sun Member

It runs is right!

Thanks Ricardo for the dizzy setup..it was perfect!

Special thanks to Gary and Mike for some wicked foo they laid down troubleshooting...Really impressive.

Another one after a few more kinks worked out

simps80

Rising Sun Member
E.T.reeroot phone home!

et.jpg

I make me laugh after a marathon thrash!!

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
The first startup of a rebuild still is something I marvel at. Nice work on a sweet 40. Now get out there and run it like you stole it. :D

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
It's aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive! :hill:

Nice job man. :thumb:

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I think I saw an oil leak. :bolt:

simps80

Rising Sun Member
rally

My goal was to drive it to the rally.

We made it!!

Great rally..as always..this was special though being able to drive my 40 to this one...

happened to catch this shot...I think its TJ's fj55

two.jpg

Then a lonesome one..

mine.jpg