Friday afternoon music

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
The bass player of both Om and Sleep’s bass rig last night. This is what 900 watts of tube power looks like. You feel it more than hear it.

@bassguyry thats his own signature Rickenbacker bass through two Ampeg SVTs and an Orange head. Lotta firepower.

View attachment 108398
Hell yeah! Though, you'd have to assume he has a roadie - 900 watts of all-tube power = eleventybillion pounds of iron. :)

I'm definitely a Class D power amp/tube preamp convert. My entire 1200 watt/4 x 12" rig weighs only slightly more than just one of those SVT heads. But oh my god do SVTs sound heavenly. I need to bring my all-tube Mesa amp out more. :/
IMG_4903.JPG

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
By “need to bring my all-tube Mesa amp out more” you mean “need to go to Home Depot and purchase a hand cart and ratchet straps” 🤣

Wouldn’t it be nice if we all had roadies…

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
By “need to bring my all-tube Mesa amp out more” you mean “need to go to Home Depot and purchase a hand cart and ratchet straps” 🤣

Wouldn’t it be nice if we all had roadies…
100% accurate on both counts. :)

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
since this has turned into the cool concerts thread, @Hulk did you see Wilco in Sept on a random Wed night. They shredded. I was blown away at the quality of sound from those old dudes.

Yota_addict

Wincher
This post almost makes me want to listen to music again…almost! Haha. Back in my youth I was a little punk kid but grew a good record collection over the years, sadly it’s all sitting in storage. I’ll just leave this noise here to reminisce over my wasted youth! If you got this on vinyl 45 it’s a rare one. Lol.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
since this has turned into the cool concerts thread, @Hulk did you see Wilco in Sept on a random Wed night. They shredded. I was blown away at the quality of sound from those old dudes.

I saw them in Aug. 2021 at Red Rocks (which was awesome) but skipped them this year. It was a cold, rainy night this year, wasn't it? I was kind of glad I didn't have tickets when it was raining that night.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Hell yeah! Though, you'd have to assume he has a roadie - 900 watts of all-tube power = eleventybillion pounds of iron. :)

I'm definitely a Class D power amp/tube preamp convert. My entire 1200 watt/4 x 12" rig weighs only slightly more than just one of those SVT heads. But oh my god do SVTs sound heavenly. I need to bring my all-tube Mesa amp out more. :/
View attachment 108662
Mesa amps boogie! ;)

Yota_addict

Wincher
Saw the shins play at red rocks not to long ago. More guys from my youth in NM. One of the younger punks I used to hang out with Dave played guitar in the shins. The band was spawned from 2 NM bands, scared of chaka (SOC) and flake band. Saw Dave a few years back, he now plays with “the intelligence.” They’re meh. Nothing compares to the live SOC shows. James Mercer is a brilliant song writer though.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I saw them in Aug. 2021 at Red Rocks (which was awesome) but skipped them this year. It was a cold, rainy night this year, wasn't it? I was kind of glad I didn't have tickets when it was raining that night.
It was cold but the rain stopped before the show. Epic performance. I didn't want to go at some point during the day, but so glad we did.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

"Right Around the Corner"
The Detroit Cobras
Life, Love and Leaving (2001)

This is a remake of a song originally done by the 5 Royales in 1956. This band, The Detroit Cobras, were at something of a leading edge resurgence of garage rock around Y2K and were far from alone in that they found the 5 Royales an influence you've probably never heard of but you know very well (probably) several artists who were.

Last edited:

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member

"Right Around the Corner"
The Detroit Cobras
Life, Love and Leaving (2001)

This is a remake of a song originally done by the 5 Royales in 1956. This band, The Detroit Cobras, were at something of a leading edge resurgence of garage rock around Y2K and were far from alone in that they found the 5 Royales an influence you've probably never heard of but you know very well know (probably) several artists who were.

Haven’t listened to that record in a LONG time. Rachel Nagy, the singer, passed away about a year ago FYI. What a voice.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Haven’t listened to that record in a LONG time. Rachel Nagy, the singer, passed away about a year ago FYI. What a voice.
Yup 100%. I heard that just recently. Very sad, just 48. I only actually got to see them a couple of times. The first time they opened for Reverend Horton Heat at the Ogden not long after that record came out, maybe 2003 or 2004? Then I saw them again when they toured with Those Darlins, a few years later during a summer trip back to St. Louis in 2010. Looking back it's a little spooky because Jessi Zazu of Those Darlins also died much too soon (she was a very tragic 28, battling cancer, in 2017). That show sticks in my mind because they played "Cannonball Blues" and that's A.P. Carter of course and it always swings back around the Carter Family and, thus, the so very oft tortured (right @Hulk) Uncle Tupelo connection...

Last edited:

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
RIP Kay Slay

Last edited: