Friday afternoon music

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
RIP Chuck Berry

"Last time I saw Marie she was waving me goodbye
With hurry-home drops on her cheeks, a trickle from her eye"

17361511_10154099274871841_8830625039382674420_n.jpg

Last edited:
Some upbeat, groovy rock from Rich Robinson (formerly one of the guitarists for the Black Crowes)

Last edited by a moderator:
Funky, spacey cover of "It's All Over Now Baby Blue" from the Chris Robinson Brotherhood (Rich's brother, lead singer of the Crowes, reason they broke up)

PabloCruise

Hard Core 4+
John Geils Jr - J Geils - RIP

John Geils Jr., who played guitar in the J. Geils Band, was found dead in his Massachusetts home, according to the Groton (Mass.) Police Department. He was 71. The police department said in a statement that he likely died of natural causes.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

Saw Thievery Corporation at the Mile High Music Festival some years ago (I think 2009, same year as Buddy Guy, the Fray, Govt Mule, Tool), when it was at Dick's Sporting Good soccer park. Trippy stuff. That was prior to recreational pot (not that it makes much difference at shows) but remember even under the stars at dusk that the scent was very strong...

They are playing tonight at the Fillmore. I don't know much about them other than a song here or there so can't say I'd go see it but still an FYI.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

A band that just played Denver recently (they are from here), The Railbenders. Some of the good modern country going on. I like these guys a ton.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Speaking of good current rock/roots/country/Americana, gotta mention Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers. They come through Colorado a lot. I remember seeing them at the Gothic when we still lived down near there (there and Swallow Hill got a lot of random visits being able to walk home!).

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
All I want is a Pepsi, and she wouldn't give it to me
All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
And she wouldn't give it to me
Just a Pepsi

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Wilco has posted their version of "Myrna Lee", originally written by John Stirratt (their bass player) for A.M. but previously never used on a Wilco album. Actually I don't think I'd ever heard them perform it either, but not I'm no Wilco expert.

They are releasing a deluxe edition of A.M. and Being There and you know despite I think having 20 of the 21 songs on A.M. from bootlegs I'm going to have to buy it for "When You Find Trouble", the only Uncle Tupelo recording I *don't* have (AFAIK, ha!). :-/

But to me the definitive version is still Blue Mountain's cover (is it even a cover?) from Homegrown. If you're not aware Laurie Stirratt (Blue Mountain's bass player) is John Stirratt's twin sister and they were originally bandmates in The Hilltops with Cary Hudson (of Blue Mountain and her ex-spouse). So obviously that's how they found the song, which to me is a sublime moment in alt.country.

And FWIW, as of today none of the musicians involved have gone to the great recording studio in the sky. :)