• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Friday afternoon music

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

Song: "Colors"
Artist: The Black Pumas
Album Black Pumas

This may be one of the next records I buy. Rolling Stone's description is "Sam Cooke meets Wu-Tang Clan", which is an interesting comparison I suppose.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
My new infatuation...

I hate it when I don't find out about a band until they've been out for several years. It makes me feel like I've missed out or that I'm late to the party. Oh well, I love these guys and I guess it's better to find out about them later versus never at all.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
My new infatuation...

I hate it when I don't find out about a band until they've been out for several years. It makes me feel like I've missed out or that I'm late to the party. Oh well, I love these guys and I guess it's better to find out about them later versus never at all.

Yup. ;-)

I believe they are broken up since I think Erika Wennerstrom went solo.

IMG_0028_mid.jpg

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Figures you were all over it. ;)
Wouldn't say all over it. I don't watch a lot of TV and don't have kids, so instead I listen to the radio and dig through record bins. The Heartless Bastards were an alt.country darling so I knew of them from articles in No Depression.

https://www.nodepression.com

That magazine is where guys like @Hulk and I heard about lots of bands to go see. Usually what happens is the opening band is more interesting than the headliner.

I saw Heartless Bastards play at the Bluebird (or perhaps it was the Gothic, it's hazy) probably 6 or 8 years ago when they opened for the Old 97s. Gotta give all the Midwest bands their props when they make it! Anymore I'm getting too old to mix it up with the kids and their rock and/or roll.

Anyway, they had kind of a break-out song ("Gates of Dawn") from that album a few years ago, so they got plays on Radio 1190 and Open Air. It is a pretty good song.

Last edited:

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Wouldn't say all over it. I don't watch a lot of TV and don't have kids, so instead I listen to the radio and dig through record bins. The Heartless Bastards were an alt.country darling so I knew of them from articles in No Depression.

https://www.nodepression.com

That magazine is where guys like @Hulk and I heard about lots of bands to go see. Usually what happens is the opening band is more interesting than the headliner.

I saw Heartless Bastards play at the Bluebird (or perhaps it was the Gothic, it's hazy) probably 6 or 8 years ago when they opened for the Old 97s. Gotta give all the Midwest bands their props when they make it! Anymore I'm getting too old to mix it up with the kids and their rock and/or roll.

Anyway, they had kind of a break-out song ("Gates of Dawn") from that album a few years ago, so they got plays on Radio 1190 and Open Air. It is a pretty good song.

Regardless, I'm always jealous of your extensive collection of music!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Talk about be obsessed, one song I'm sorry to say I have an obsession for was recently covered by a band called The Headstones.

A version of the original.

And for bonus, the Dandy Warhols cover from 2004.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Today 25 years ago today (it's March 1, 2020) REM drummer Bill Berry left the stage at a concert in Switzerland with a severe headache that turns out to actually be an aneurysm. The band was playing "Tongue" from Monster at the time.

Grant Lee Buffalo opened for them, so their drummer Joey Peters took over during the concert.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Couldn't decide which is more salient today, Friday, March 13, 2020...

"The End of the World (And I Feel Fine)"
REM
Document (1987)

"Be Afraid"
Jason Isbel and the 400 Unit
Reunions (2020)

"Superstition"
Stevie Wonder
Talking Book (1972)

Last edited:

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I've had the REM song bouncing around in my head for a few days now :)

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
just stumbled upon Beck's new 'album', Hyperspace. Alexa is kind enough to play it for me in the background as I work. I've been enjoying it...here's a taste of it.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I know it's not Friday but I'm pretty GD tired of talking about Covid-19. Here is what I'm jamming out to today since I have to work from home and both my kid and wife are home too.

Screenshot_20200317-114401_SiriusXM.jpg

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Again I know it's not Friday but still I have to work from home and both my wife and daughter are here with me so I have my headphones on most of the day.

This first one is called mood swing by Asheru feat. Talib Kweli. They borrowed the beat from a Duke Ellington and John Coltrane collaboration called "In a sentimental mood"
Both are attached for your listening pleasure so you can compare.

:cheers:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Been kind of obsessed with this collaboration.

"Broken Boy"
Cage The Elephant featuring Iggy Pop

Some pre-Oasis Andy Bell.

"Chelsea Girl"
Ride
Smile

Last edited:

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
A song that seems appropriately satirical right now....

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
This song is dedicated to our federal government. We're all facing tough times but we'll pull through it and we'll be better on the other side.

:cheers:

Last edited: