Friday afternoon music

subzali

Hard Core 4+
A little new Big Band for the weekend: personally I love the drums on this one.

Last edited:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I listened to Hayes Carll’s new album that dropped yesterday. Good stuff

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Revival of the neo-folk/jangle/Byrds fixation back in the 90s. Could'a been featured on an episode of Friends. The Paisley Underground indeed.

"Love The Sinner, Hate The Sin"
Elephant Stone
Elephant Stone (2013)

"Burden"
The Connells
Ring (1993)

So there's no question, yeah. Looking back even I would have beat me up. What a twit.

dave_1993_mid.jpg

Last edited:

PabloCruise

Hard Core 4+

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

Band: The Delilahs
Song: Feels Like A Job
Album: Dying to Build a Bridge (1995)

Note: There are a couple of NSFW lyrics.

I remember seeing these guys in the basement of the old Cicero's Basement bar on the Delmar Loop. I know Matt (@Hulk) will remember it, I think it's since been torn down and replaced. It was literally the basement bar in a pizza place in the central west end of St. Louis and the building was old so it was more of a fire hazard cellar.

The band stood on a riser that was maybe 6" off the floor and the beams for the main floor were these huge old growth trees. The lead singer of The Delilahs was this really tall dude named Aaron Seymour, clearly good Norwegian stock (they were from Minneapolis).

He would hit his head on the floor beams, one of which was right over the band. He pretty much just stood there all night holding the beam and trying to duck under it when he moved, I assume trying to remember not to jump.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
@DaveInDenver my music collection has grown considerably because of you and this thread. Good stuff!

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
It's sad to think how long I've been out of the live music scene. Do basement bars even still exist? I remember seeing Reel Big Fish (amongst a good number of lesser known bands) at the Milk Bar, another basement bar, in Jacksonville, FL back in 1998. Now that's impressive considering Jax is at sea level!

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
It's sad to think how long I've been out of the live music scene. Do basement bars even still exist? I remember seeing Reel Big Fish (amongst a good number of lesser known bands) at the Milk Bar, another basement bar, in Jacksonville, FL back in 1998. Now that's impressive considering Jax is at sea level!

Larimer Lounge is a cool spot that feels like that. Small bar in the front, small stage area in the back. I went there to see 2 of my fav bands in March, and it's so small I was able to meet and mingle with the bands. I walked to the bar to grab a drink and noticed the lead singer was just hanging out waiting to order a beer, so I was able to buy him a drink and chat for about 10 minutes solid. Definitely was an amazing experience and felt like the "old days".

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member

Since I was talking about them...

This is how I've kinda felt since being back to reality this week, lol.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
No one really thought to snap photos back then, but this is a well circulated photo of Uncle Tupelo playing at Cicero's. Stage "lighting" was actually those outdoor flood lights on the ceiling.

Uncle+Tupelo+++Ciceros++St+Loui.jpg

None of the romantic dive bar nonsense, it was a legitimate sh!t hole. Fire escapes? Ha, funny stuff poindexter. There wasn't even windows to give you a sense of hope. A pitcher of Natural Light was like $4 so that's what you'd walk around drinking from. When they let you in for the show you paraded through the dining room for the pizza place where it would be full of Wash U students and yuppies, which I'm sure hated seeing the stream of punks.

I actually saw They Might Be Giants there with maybe 50 other people when they played an unannounced show there prior to Pointfest in 1994. They even mentioned the place in a song about another institution in St. Louis - Mississippi Nights.