• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Fiona, the blowed up 80 build

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
It is crazy when you get to thinking how little "out" it probably was to cause such frustration.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
It is crazy when you get to thinking how little "out" it probably was to cause such frustration.
It was bad enough that I suspect it was the original issue that this starter had. I had to remove about .025 to clean it up.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I need to get the old block off the stand. So decided to tear it down. It has a slight rod knock that when away with rpm. I figured it would be fairly catastrophic, but to my surprise, there were no spun rod or main bearings. Looks like an unfortunate case of brief oil starvation or coolant contamination. The head is in excellent and reusable shape. I might have to bore it and put it back together.

The cylinder walls and pistons are pretty hammered and will need to be bored/replaced.

Amazingly the worst spot on the crank showed about 0.0008” TIR which is way better than I expected.

Anyone need a good 1fz builder? I hate to trash it….
IMG_4604.jpeg
IMG_4607.jpeg
IMG_4610.jpeg
IMG_4614.jpeg
IMG_4616.jpeg
IMG_4613.jpeg

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I’m recovering from lumbar spine fusion so no work for me. But I wouldn’t mind checking it out as I’ve never seen a 1FZ apart.

RDub

I may be crazy, but if there were more folks doing 1FZ-FE swaps into 60’s I’d totally be interested. I don’t need or want a V8 in my 60, but one of these would be just right for my needs. Just too expensive to make it all fit versus benefit over a renewed 2F. In my opinion.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I’m recovering from lumbar spine fusion so no work for me. But I wouldn’t mind checking it out as I’ve never seen a 1FZ apart.

I’ll be tinkering tomorrow in the garage until 2 or so. Feel free to swing by.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Well cranked away last night to make room for the beetle engine we’ll be running in the Norra 1000, it ingested a bunch of dirt and needs a set of eyes on it before we trust it. The 1fz is being yanked off the stand today.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
How many cc you building?
No idea. I’m making sure it’s not blown up and putting it back together. If it’s blown up, it’s likely going to painters. Tried to tag Steve, but the @ symbol thing doesn’t seem to be working for his handle. Steve would know.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
If you need any anaerobic sealants or other weirdness for putting it together let me know, I have a pretty full stock of sealant stuff for that sort of motor.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Running dual Weber carbs on that thing? I had a '64 Beetle with those and it was insane.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
sorry for the hijack - gonna pick your brain once I pick up a 1600 short block I want to build for the bus
Ha! Man I really don’t know anything about these. I have a manual to go off of, but aside from that, it’s got all your basic engine stuff that tells you how tired they are. Hopefully it’s a quick peek and she gets reassembled and sent to live another day.

Thanks @rover67 i might hit you up. I figured that’s how the cases are sealed up. What’s your flavor of anaerobic sealant? 518?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Three bond 1104 (or 1184) for case halves, threebond 1211 (or 1215) or curil T for cylinders to case, loctite 574 for any gaskets, Dow 111 (or 55) for any (viton) o rings, bearing saddl surfaces (thru bolts are oil passages in 911’s ) loctite 574

rover67

Rising Sun Member
For a race motor that will come apart a lot you could use regular rtv on the case halves. It’s easier to clean up than all that shit I listed.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
For a race motor that will come apart a lot you could use regular rtv on the case halves. It’s easier to clean up than all that shit I listed.
1104 and 1211 is some good stuff. Hell 1211 was like $40 a tube back when I messed with 2 stroke stuff back in the day. I can’t imagine what it is now. Thanks for the tips. It’s going to get the piss rallied out of it so I’ll probably take you up on some stuff.

Huh! Not as bad as I expected looks like $25.