Finally got one! 82' FJ40

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Kind of a long shot.... but does anybody have a carb kit for a late model 40/early 60 or know who stocks one in town?

It keeps running worse and worse and feels like the carb needs to be gone through. I kinda want to do that before the weekend.

I was able to get a kit from NAPA locally. My carb was missing the tag with the part number and all I had was the date code so it took a couple of days research to figure out what I needed to get.

There is an option for a new carb if you decide to de-smog that you might want to look into. This thread on MUD has the details.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Well, very cool Marco.

That is awesome!

Now, does someone want to help a guy out and tell me what is different about the "bibs"? I see the bezel is square on the red one, and round on Marco's, but I see nothing else different.

Help for a non cruiser guy?

ttubb

Namesake......

I have always believed vehicle names are earned not awarded. Some names are obvious and some come later as you see a re-occurring characteristic.

Hence the name "Marmot" however lets hope it is not a "reoccurring characteristic". :D:D:D:hill:

Attachments

• BOWAGWR%20002.jpg
    BOWAGWR%20002.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 306

60wag

Rising Sun Member
The square bezel has the headlights slightly farther apart than the earlier round bezel design so you can't change bezels without changing the bib holding the headlights.

The carb is easy to take apart but watch for the tiny ball and spring that form a check valve against the top half of the carb. There are also some rubber seals that tend to fall off the venturi tubes when its apart. I spent a half hour looking for a seal when I went to put one back together.

Also, I still rec' the vac gauge to get an idea of how badly things might be leaking.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
OK, I usually like to have a kit around in case I lose/break stuff. But I'll give it a whirl tonight.

Bruce, I'll give you a buzz later tonight. Will you be around?

Man, I already forgot that picture Terry.. that was not fun to see.

I think they swapped out the windshield and front bib/bezel due to some kind of an accident. Must have been what parts were around. Changing them both back will not be cheap I am discovering...

wesintl

RS Moderator
I think they swapped out the windshield and front bib/bezel due to some kind of an accident. Must have been what parts were around. Changing them both back will not be cheap I am discovering...

I wouldn't worry about it. I kinda like the round bezels better. You can always keep a lookout for a square one that's the right $

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I'm kinda tempted to make it all stock again though...

I mean, if i fix the rest of the body why not make that right too?

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
To swap the windshield frame to a later year you'll need or want to find one with a workable windshield wiper motor...They are not cheap and they are getting harder to find...

You probably want to check the hard top as well and see if it is original that was modified (i.e. cut) to clear the top mounted windshield wipers or if it is an earlier year top with the cutouts that you'll need to mod (i.e drill holes) to mount up to a later model windshield frame...

Discovered after I bought a hard top that my '74 has a later model windshield frame (believe it is from a '77) and the windshield channel on the top (which was for an early FJ40 windshield frame) had to be modded to work with the later model windshield frame. It worked ok but doesn't seal real great (not that any of them really do). If you are good at fiberglass work and can find the correct windshield channel you can cut off the old one and attach the correct one.

Just food for thought as you contemplate taking it back to a stock look :)

60wag

Rising Sun Member
No hard top to worry about at this point :)

I'll be home this evening, give me a call. I may have some leftovers from a carb kit too - I'll look.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Just called, the NAPA in Boulder has one. Wow.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Let's see, Marco has a round bezel/bib and wants a square one... Matt has a square bezel/bib and prefers the round one.... both are green.. nah, too simple. :lmao:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Let's see, Marco has a round bezel/bib and wants a square one... Matt has a square bezel/bib and prefers the round one.... both are green.. nah, too simple. :lmao:

Yeah! I'll trade ya!

i'll even get it all painted to match!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Yeah! I'll trade ya!

i'll even get it all painted to match!

Nah, I'll leave mine as is. Maybe someday I'll buy an old 60s vintage 40, but until then I will live with my rectangular bezel.

The funny thing is yours has an early bib and grille -- look at the T O Y O T A in the center. The one in my '75 had a different style of lettering. I think it also switched to plastic.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I know Matt, I was kidding. :)

Anybody got a spare front Bib Hinge? I just noticed last night that mine was not there. the whole front end flops around...

rover67

Rising Sun Member
OK, I have another question..... sure somebody knows this answer...

I found a complete window frame and wiper assembly for a "75 and later" truck.. did they change the windshield frames from 75 on or were they all the same?

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
According to Specter, there's a frame from 1/75 - 9/77, and then a different frame from 9/77 - 1984 on LHD FJ40's. For RHD they show one part from 75-84.

So there must be some kind of minor difference but it's not clear what it is. Maybe someone else knows?

Last edited:

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
^All you gotta do is sell that Alpha and pick one up - basically trade one convertible for another.