Finally got one! 82' FJ40

CBone

Hard Core 4+
Hey Marco,
Congrats on the new 40. As Martin mentioned, the vacuum lines are the same on our 60s. Both Steve and Martin helped me work out a few final misconnections when I replaced all 37' of vacuum lines this spring, so let me know if you need a picture or to see how it all fits together. Here's a teaser! Maybe McMaster-Carr has green lines :lmao:

Attachments

• 100_3352.jpg
    100_3352.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 313

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Way :cool: Marco :thumb:

And OMG if you have to do the spaghetti this like Carlton :eek: :lmao:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
It was up on the peak to peak near camp dick, Nakman and 60wag spotted it as we were zooming past. it's not as perfect as it looked on the 60mph drive by, but it's been the best i've seen in several months in my price range so i snagged it. I spent probably a week talkign back and forth to the owner about when i could go check it out and finally it cam through the other day :)

So if anybody has say a late model front bib, bezel, and windshield frame let me know. i'll probably try to get it all squared away and have it all be the same vintage soon. I've been looking for those parts for a week or so and it looks like a windshield frame is kinda pricey. anyways, it'll be nice when i'm done with it.

so about these vacuum hoses... I got one of the solenoids figured out, you can see in the first picture where the hose on it was just looped(bottom left of the pic)... and the EGR valve was just hanging out not hooked up (can't really see that).

But the HAC device has me a bit confused.... it has a hose coming out of the bottom of it that was plugged, and faked into the EGR vacuum modulator (this can be seen in the first pic "hooked up" and in the second pic with me holding it. it actually has a plug in it) .

The manual i have (2f emission control 1981 repair manual from toyota) shows that this HAC device does not have a hose on the bottom of it. Carlton, on your truck I don't think I see one either.

Where the hell does this thing go? You can see the hose coming out of the HAC in the third pic.

should it just be vented to atmosphere?

should it be oscar the grouch?

DSCN7201 (Large).JPG
DSCN7202 (Large).JPG
DSCN7203 (Large).JPG

Last edited:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I can see all sorts of incorrect tube routing in those pics even without looking at my 60. Can you bring it up to Evergreen?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
yeah, will you be around later today?

so it was running reeeally rough and i applied vacuum to the egr valve (at idle) and let it snap shut real quick and it seems to have fixed it... do those things get stuck open?

Last edited:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
yeah, will you be around later today?

so it was runnign reeeally rough and i applied vacuum to the egr valve (at idle) and let it snap shut real quick and it seems to have fixed it... do those things get stuck open?

Yes, that's exactly what Carlton's did.

Kim and I are going to do a hike this morning, but I'll be around tonight if you want to bring it up. Otherwise, I might be able to drive the 60 down Sunday.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
ok, we're going on a long bike ride. i'll drop you a line later.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
so what else do you see right off the bat? i thought it was looking pretty close...

60wag

Rising Sun Member
The HAC does vent to atmosphere from the port on the bottom. The EGR ports are easy to mess up but will likely render the EGR inoperative rather than running poorly. Also the 4 ports at the base of the carb that point towards the valve cover are easy to hook up incorrectly and can make it run poorly. The 81 emissions book should have everything you need to get it assembled correctly. If you want to bring it by my place, I be happy to work on it with you.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Marco, If Bruce can help you out, you'll be in much better hands. :thumb:

Want to go on a shake down run Tuesday AM?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Hey thanks for all the props everybody! I'm slowly figuring it out. Talked to Bruce for a while tonight on the phone and several of my questions were answered... he knows a ton about these 2F's with smog.

It's running a little bit better, but still has what sounds like a lean miss. I'll have to keep digging or compair to either Martin's or Carlton's truck maybe. Seems like it has a vacuum leak somewhere.

We were thinking Kermit actually when we picked it up.. I've always liked that name. What's the protocol for naming a truck anyways? Seems like it just kinda happens.

I don't know if I'll be able to go on a shake down run Tuesday Martin.. work has started to get busy again.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
WOW Marco! That is sooooo cool man! congrats!

Here is a tip, cut all the vaccum lines with a pair of wire cutters, and plug every hole with some JB weld... it'll smooooth right out! :D

Seriously, if you want to look at a stripped down version, feel free to come over and take a peek under the hood.

I am stoked for you!

Drew

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Nice truck! The paint on the interior looks to be the same green as on my '81 (Hulk).

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Hey thanks for all the props everybody! I'm slowly figuring it out. Talked to Bruce for a while tonight on the phone and several of my questions were answered... he knows a ton about these 2F's with smog.

It's running a little bit better, but still has what sounds like a lean miss. I'll have to keep digging or compair to either Martin's or Carlton's truck maybe. Seems like it has a vacuum leak somewhere.

We were thinking Kermit actually when we picked it up.. I've always liked that name. What's the protocol for naming a truck anyways? Seems like it just kinda happens.

I don't know if I'll be able to go on a shake down run Tuesday Martin.. work has started to get busy again.

I have always believed vehicle names are earned not awarded. Some names are obvious and some come later as you see a re-occurring characteristic.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I have always believed vehicle names are earned not awarded. Some names are obvious and some come later as you see a re-occurring characteristic.

I smell a Nuclear Lemon segue... :beer:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Yeah, Kinda what I though. just seems right. I've had 20 or so cars and only named the rover because it was such a pain in the a$$.

It is getting annoying because the 60 can no longer be called the "cruiser" as it causes confusion. now we call them the FJ40 and FJ60 or 40 and 60 which seems weird.

Kind of a long shot.... but does anybody have a carb kit for a late model 40/early 60 or know who stocks one in town?

It keeps running worse and worse and feels like the carb needs to be gone through. I kinda want to do that before the weekend.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Kind of a long shot.... but does anybody have a carb kit for a late model 40/early 60 or know who stocks one in town?

It keeps running worse and worse and feels like the carb needs to be gone through. I kinda want to do that before the weekend.

Most times, you won't need the kit. You can just clean up everything including the jets, balls, etc. Just be careful when you remove the airhorn so you don't tear the gasket. If the OEM one is still in it, you can probably re-use it.