• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Cruise Moab Pre-Run 2023

what date works the best for the Cruise Moab pre run?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Teachable moment: How do we as group look at this action item? How does a leader lead it?

Leading is not a committee activity, nor a dictatorship. All of you here are leaders. As our first teachable moment, how do you lead it? Leading is not always what it seems.
I’ll bite…

I’m a framework kinda guy. I like to gather inputs, variables and break them down into logical blocks in order to obtain some goal or outcome.

For groups I’m leading on a trail, typically I like to come out of the gate with a solid agenda and when we expect to be at lunch, back to camp and significant items in between.

For the pre-run it might look something like this.

Thursday night, get ur ass within 1hr of Moab.

Friday morning at 9am meet at the diner for a rough out of the trails that need to be run or the skills we’re looking to work on.

9-10am we’ll devise a plan and make sure teachers have students. If you need to just run a trail to familiarize yourself with it. Share your in/out time and route, Get’r done and meet us for a hotwash and beers. If you’re not confident to go alone, ask for a buddy.

6pm camp fire and hotwash at xyz spot. - further skill development be here or be shunned

8:00p set meet up info for Saturday morning trail/skills meetings.

9p.
B
E
E
….
….
….
R
S

Wash repeat.

If someone comes from left field - picky people don’t get to choose. Better to disappoint one than hold the whole group back.

Grand Hotwash Sunday morning chat B’s and C’s

If the agenda works for 80% of folks then you’re golden. If there are legitimate concerns or special circumstances, handle them 1 on 1

Last edited:

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member

I like you're using hotwash. Did you pick it up from David Goggins or another military type guy?

I remember last year leading Kokopeli, one Navy dude in the group told me the term when I mentioned to him I want feedback.

Btw I remember you were reading Can't Hurt Me a little while ago. Never Finished came out a few months ago, also an amazing read. Goggins is nuts.

Allen

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I like you're using hotwash. Did you pick it up from David Goggins or another military type guy?

I remember last year leading Kokopeli, one Navy dude in the group told me the term when I mentioned to him I want feedback.

Btw I remember you were reading Can't Hurt Me a little while ago. Never Finished came out a few months ago, also an amazing read. Goggins is nuts.

Allen
I'm pretty much no one in 4WD circles and was never in the military but FEMA uses the term. They have a form 508 called the "hot wash form," so any one who's been trained by FedGov I assume has come across it. In my case it's because I'm a state and ARRL emergency communication volunteer so had to do several of the NIMS/NRF classes and simulated scenarios.

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
I'm pretty much no one in 4WD circles and was never in the military but FEMA uses the term. They have a form 508 called the "hot wash form," so any one who's been trained by FedGov I assume has come across it. In my case it's because I'm a state and ARRL emergency communication volunteer so had to do several of the NIMS/NRF classes and simulated scenarios.

"Hotwash" was used in the 90's during the whole meth lab craze and was an actual "hotwash".......meaning, if you were on the Clandestine Lab Enforcement Team (CLET) and served a warrant on a cooking lab you and your gear were contaminated and considered "hot" and therefore you got "hotwashed" or decontaminated, by the fire department or hazmat team. And, there was nothing "hot" about the water that came out of a fire hydrant in December.
After that you'd do an "AAR" or After Action Report in the front yard with the team.

Last edited:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Hot wash aside (that will be a great fireside chat after business concludes)

I’ll bite…

I’m a framework kinda guy. I like to gather inputs, variables and break them down into logical blocks in order to obtain some goal or outcome.

For groups I’m leading on a trail, typically I like to come out of the gate with a solid agenda and when we expect to be at lunch, back to camp and significant items in between.
For the pre-run it might look something like this.
Thursday night, get ur ass within 1hr of Moab.
Friday morning at 9am meet at the diner for a rough out of the trails that need to be run or the skills we’re looking to work on.
9-10am we’ll devise a plan and make sure teachers have students. If you need to just run a trail to familiarize yourself with it. Share your in/out time and route, Get’r done and meet us for a hotwash and beers. If you’re not confident to go alone, ask for a buddy.
6pm camp fire and hotwash at xyz spot. - further skill development be here or be shunned
8:00p set meet up info for Saturday morning trail/skills meetings.

9p.
B
E
E
….
….
….
R
S

Wash repeat.
If someone comes from left field - picky people don’t get to choose. Better to disappoint one than hold the whole group back.
If the agenda works for 80% of folks then you’re golden. If there are legitimate concerns or special circumstances, handle them 1 on 1
This is a good solid general framework.
If you hear me using the word "group" a lot its because if there is one thing I want to impart from this pre-run it is I hope to see us to operate as a group. Any of us can go to Moab alone of with buddies anytime to mess around. This is not that trip, but will be more fun. Maybe a particular item is not your top pick but is it a sensible plan because it makes a group function. As much as possible, don't go off to do your own thing. STick with the group. I'm pulling from 18 years of Cruise Moab speecific pre-run and trail leading experience.

For Thursday night this Pre-Ruun see posts 12 & 37 & 45. 45 won out with a Thursday night remote camp meet. I can't leave Denver till mid-day Thursday because Anna has a 10:00 appointment.

For Friday AM, because in the past I have seen a lot of time wasted driving all over the place to meet to run a trail, we gather as a group early Friday AM in the field, at or near the remote camp, divide and conquer to run north side trails as needed, and meet at a camp spot Friday PM.

For Friday PM The spot I have in mind for Friday PM camp is south of town. Remote but established and designated large sites off Behind the Rocks Road. Easy to get to. Easy to find by late arrivals

Repeat Saturday with an emphasis on south side and central trails. If camp was good, stay there again Saturday night. If it was bad, relocate.

Sunday plan determined Saturday evening by what trails need to be run and when people need to be back home.

From posts and PM's these are the people I see Going:
  1. @BritKLR
  2. @allen.wrench
  3. @jps8460
  4. @MonPetiteShoe
  5. @timmbuck2 + son Tyler
  6. @mcgaskins
  7. @hitchhiker
  8. @Hants
  9. @Mendocino
  10. @bassguyry
  11. @gungriffin
  12. @Old40Dog
  13. @DomOfTheDead and @Yarn Runner
  14. @chillbill
Considering:

Last edited:

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

Allen
Can’t remember where I picked it up, probably TFC. Great book, I haven’t read the next one yet.

NotyourmomsWife

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
@Inukshuk as much as we would love to do this, I think we are going to have to sit this one out this year :cry:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
CM is still looking for leaders for two trails I have never done, so those might be great Friday trails and we can do both in one day: 3D, Deadman Springs/Deadman Point.

In the same area is Gemini Bridges, which is basically a dirt road, but we can pre-run.

What else do you all want to pre-run?

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
CM is still looking for leaders for two trails I have never done, so those might be great Friday trails and we can do both in one day: 3D, Deadman Springs/Deadman Point.

In the same area is Gemini Bridges, which is basically a dirt road, but we can pre-run.

What else do you all want to pre-run?

There’s a section of where eagles dare that I’d like to check out. Basically it requires running Poison Spider. I’m fine doing that on my own time though on another trip, but down to check it out if the group would like to do so. Where eagles dare is not appropriate for full size trucks like the tundra. The 200 is a really tight squeeze.

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
There’s a section of where eagles dare that I’d like to check out. Basically it requires running Poison Spider. I’m fine doing that on my own time though on another trip, but down to check it out if the group would like to do so. Where eagles dare is not appropriate for full size trucks like the tundra. The 200 is a really tight squeeze.

I have no idea what you’re talking about 👀

CC444AE5-8A57-42B9-83BC-9C9F0A333557.jpeg

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
@Inukshuk, thanks for noting my interest but that was before the dates were finalized. 3/18 is Jeannetta and my anniversary and for some reason she doesn't want to go to Moab for that occasion. :dunno:

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I would love to run Flat Iron Mesa and Metal Masher. I am leading both and have not run Flat Iron in awhile. I have led metal masher a few times but would like to drive it again in my new rig.

Not sure where we are camping yet but will make sure we are at the camp area etc when discussing trails and of course to sit around the fire! In the past pre-runs we have camped in group sites, gone to BFE, etc and we always had some people who stayed in hotels in town. As long as we can all stay in touch. :)

Oh and Daniel, my oldest son Tyler will be coming in his rig, I need to have him sign up here for a forum name. Maybe SonofaBuck for now.

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
@Inukshuk, et al. The timing works out in my favor for the 16th - 19th.
3D or Deadman's Spring/Hand: I'm your huckleberry.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Fyi I changed things up just a little and only need to run Metal Masher again at the pre run. I can also lead dome Plateau if anyone wants to learn it.

Camo80

Rising Sun Member
Hot wash aside (that will be a great fireside chat after business concludes)

This is a good solid general framework.
If you hear me using the word "group" a lot its because if there is one thing I want to impart from this pre-run it is I hope to see us to operate as a group. Any of us can go to Moab alone of with buddies anytime to mess around. This is not that trip, but will be more fun. Maybe a particular item is not your top pick but is it a sensible plan because it makes a group function. As much as possible, don't go off to do your own thing. STick with the group. I'm pulling from 18 years of Cruise Moab speecific pre-run and trail leading experience.

For Thursday night this Pre-Ruun see posts 12 & 37 & 45. 45 won out with a Thursday night remote camp meet. I can't leave Denver till mid-day Thursday because Anna has a 10:00 appointment.

For Friday AM, because in the past I have seen a lot of time wasted driving all over the place to meet to run a trail, we gather as a group early Friday AM in the field, at or near the remote camp, divide and conquer to run north side trails as needed, and meet at a camp spot Friday PM.

For Friday PM The spot I have in mind for Friday PM camp is south of town. Remote but established and designated large sites off Behind the Rocks Road. Easy to get to. Easy to find by late arrivals

Repeat Saturday with an emphasis on south side and central trails. If camp was good, stay there again Saturday night. If it was bad, relocate.

Sunday plan determined Saturday evening by what trails need to be run and when people need to be back home.

From above posts this are the people I see going or considering
Going:
Considering:
Camo80 is out and can’t go due to work :(

MATPHAT

Lifted
Hey all, Is this just for leader training, or do you need some people to lead? If so, I could try and make it out and let yall do some leading for me.

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member

Question: What time is "early Friday AM"? (and, same for Saturday morning) Just that I've been with groups that are packed and ready to go at 0700 and other groups that need a full English breakfast, coffee, shower, press their kakis and wash their truck and ready to go by 1000am.

Just curious based on your experience and expectations what time we'll be heading out each morning.....(I pre-starch my kakis at home).

Thanks!