• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Cruise Moab Pre-Run 2023

what date works the best for the Cruise Moab pre run?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
I'm subbed!! I also x3 the scheduling point.

Like @Inukshuk is suggesting to make the PreRun helpful for CM23, I'll happily share what I've learned leading Kokopeli, Seven Mile Rim, Fins n Things, and Top of the World. Of course at the same time I'm stoked to learn from others' experiences! I'd love to learn whatever is available and appropriate for CM23.

If y'all will have me, I'm definitely planning on helping out with CM23. I'll try to attend BB Trail Training on 11-12 March, however, I'll say I'm tentative. That week is a full work week and it's after I visit my parents in SoCal for my dad's birthday. If the PreRun is later in March or in early April, I expect I'll better be able to attend.

If nothing else I'm happy to help out "from a distance". Like if anyone wants to stay at my place in Syracuse Utah (just north of SLC), then let me know!

Allen

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Keep in mind that Cruise Moab is April 17-23 for 2023. Doing a pre-run of trails just a few weeks before the event would be amazing, of course, but you may get better participation on the pre-run if you keep it in March.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
voting poll is up for potential dates. exact time frame on how many days can be worked out after we agree on a weekend.

NotyourmomsWife

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
FYI haven't forgotten to post the trail list just havent finished it, hopefully now that the holidays are over I can devote the time needed to wrap it up.

ChevyKeith

Rising Sun Member
I would be happy to lead something at CM again this year
Wont be around till April so if I pre-run will be last minute

Since Jeep safari April 2-9, I am not sure April 7-9 would be good prerun datys
I will probably go the following week

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
We are setting up the Cruise Moab Pre-Run for 2023

This trip purpose is to pre-run trails in Moab that you want to lead during Cruise Moab and improve your leadership skills
Timeframe is potentially March depending on everyone's schedule.

Post up if you are interested and what trails you would need to pre-run

We are also need leaders to guide this trip and help educate the others

More details will be posted as they develop
:risingsun
Hey Dom-

Has the dates for this firmed up yet? My calendar is filling and I'd love to do this. Thanks!

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
ok everyone. Looks like March 17-19 is the date range that works for most people interested. My assumption is that most people would like to keep this centered around the weekend or as a long weekend. Keep in mind, the Bill Burke training is the weekend before this, March 11-12, if you are trying to prioritize one over the other. This is open to anyone interested.

When and where does everyone want to meet?

Trails in mind?

Where to stay?

@BritKLR @Inukshuk @BC9392 @Johnny Utah @MonPetiteShoe @Stuckinthe80s @baja1d @timmbuck2 @jps8460 @NotyourmomsWife @allen.wrench @FZJ Dave @Tkoffroad @Hulk

Last edited:

FZJ Dave

I will be with the Wasatch Cruisers Fri - Sun on Lockhart Basin the next weekend. Y'all have fun!

Last edited:

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
I am off work the 16th-19th and can head out anytime Thursday or Friday. I will probably need to leave around lunch time Sunday to be back for work Monday morning.
If we are camping, I’ve never camped out in White Wash Sand Dunes area but always wanted to try it.
I’ve also stayed at Archview Campground many times. It’s nice and conveniently located.

NotyourmomsWife

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
ok everyone. Looks like March 17-19 is the date range that works for most people interested. My assumption is that most people would like to keep this centered around the weekend or as a long weekend. Keep in mind, the Bill Burke training is the weekend before this, March 11-12, if you are trying to prioritize one over the other. This is open to anyone interested.

When and where does everyone want to meet?

Trails in mind?

Where to stay?

@BritKLR @Inukshuk @BC9392 @Johnny Utah @MonPetiteShoe @Stuckinthe80s @baja1d @timmbuck2 @jps8460 @NotyourmomsWife @allen.wrench @FZJ Dave @Tkoffroad @Hulk
we wont be able to do both, I'll let you know soon which one (or both) we will step out of and let someone else take the spot. (I forgot Andy has an upcoming trip to St. Louis)

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
we wont be able to do both, I'll let you know soon which one (or both) we will step out of and let someone else take the spot. (I forgot Andy has an upcoming trip to St. Louis)
There is not limited spots for this.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
How about the night of Thursday the 16th we meet at a campsite in the desert on the way to Moab. Out by the Dome Plateau / end of Kokopelli area. Friday morning anyone who wanted to pre-run Dome Plateau, Top of the World, or Rose Garden Hill are right near trailheads. Everyone else is only 40 minutes outside Moab. Lets say an hour from camp. This also makes your Thursday drive a bit shorter. (Be sure to top off gas in Fruita)
For Friday and Saturday nights there is decent remote camping off side roads 15 minutes north and south of town. I'll be able to share coordinates as we suss out the plan.

Bring some type of toilet system to pack out your poo.

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Ok. Schedule confirmed and on the calendar! Prep time for the old 60, camping gear and coms.

Any members, that have done this, have any advice/suggestion to get the maximum knowledge/experience out of it to help with volunteering at CM23? Thanks!

Daniel: Love the pre-camp on the 16th suggestion and have it on the schedule.....just need a map/directions to actually find the site. Thanks.

Dom- Thanks for putting this together!

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
I'm confirmed "yes" (no longer tentative) here and for the BB training. I settled my plans for March. I hope we're good here with saying March (16/)17-19.

I like the sound of camping by Dome Plateau and nights north or south of Moab. I've been wanting to see what those north/south campsites to plan adventures with other friends and/or SOs. If I make Thursday night, it maybe late getting off work. If not then I'll be there sometime Friday morning.

@BritKLR The primary thing I've picked up from PreRuns is to try new (or haven't done in a long time and have changed) trails so you know them for Cruise Moab and/or attempt different (more difficult) lines on the trails. If you're a driver on whatever trail, and it's feasible to do (like at a lunch break), it might also be good to rotate through pack positions so you can get several flavors. Along with just driving the trails it's good to practice radio usage while on the trail: know when/where a trail is mello and good for chit/chat, and know where the trail could use coaching narration or spotting of some fashion.

If there's time (and we have permission) I'd like to do Gemini Bridges or Elephant Hill since I've never done those trails, and/or Hell's Revenge since I haven't done it in several years. A few years ago I also got to ride shotgun with @Inukshuk and @Hants on Golden Spike. I'd love to do that again too 😊

All the same, I'm flexible (Semper Gumby!). What other trails are hot on people's PreRun preference list?

Allen