• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Cruise Moab Pre-Run 2023

what date works the best for the Cruise Moab pre run?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Good stuff Alan!
I appreciate your perspective on building trail leadership skills.

At CM 2021 I ran seven mile and I really appreciated how @Cheeseman led. He had some great stories about the history of the trail we were on. While not a requirement for a making a trail fun and engaging, it made an impression on me and got me thinking about how we can contribute to the experience in a positive way.

Another aspect of creating participation and engaging the group is inviting the kids into the radio communications. Although boundaries are required in order to keep the channels available for instruction, I know Adam enjoyed talking with the other kids that were on the trail.

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
I'm confirmed "yes" (no longer tentative) here and for the BB training. I settled my plans for March. I hope we're good here with saying March (16/)17-19.

I like the sound of camping by Dome Plateau and nights north or south of Moab. I've been wanting to see what those north/south campsites to plan adventures with other friends and/or SOs. If I make Thursday night, it maybe late getting off work. If not then I'll be there sometime Friday morning.

@BritKLR The primary thing I've picked up from PreRuns is to try new (or haven't done in a long time and have changed) trails so you know them for Cruise Moab and/or attempt different (more difficult) lines on the trails. If you're a driver on whatever trail, and it's feasible to do (like at a lunch break), it might also be good to rotate through pack positions so you can get several flavors. Along with just driving the trails it's good to practice radio usage while on the trail: know when/where a trail is mello and good for chit/chat, and know where the trail could use coaching narration or spotting of some fashion.

If there's time (and we have permission) I'd like to do Gemini Bridges or Elephant Hill since I've never done those trails, and/or Hell's Revenge since I haven't done it in several years. A few years ago I also got to ride shotgun with @Inukshuk and @Hants on Golden Spike. I'd love to do that again too 😊

All the same, I'm flexible (Semper Gumby!). What other trails are hot on people's PreRun preference list?

Allen
Very helpful. Thanks!

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Good stuff Alan!
I appreciate your perspective on building trail leadership skills.

At CM 2021 I ran seven mile and I really appreciated how @Cheeseman led. He had some great stories about the history of the trail we were on. While not a requirement for a making a trail fun and engaging, it made an impression on me and got me thinking about how we can contribute to the experience in a positive way.

Another aspect of creating participation and engaging the group is inviting the kids into the radio communications. Although boundaries are required in order to keep the channels available for instruction, I know Adam enjoyed talking with the other kids that were on the trail.
Also, very helpful. I know on several trail rounds in the past I've always got more enjoyment based on the history stories told by the TL's.

hitchhiker

Rising Sun Member
I'll come the schedule for this works a lot better with my school schedule.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
hey everyone, looks like the tentative plan is to meet up on March 16th out by Dome Plateau/ end of Kokopelli to camp, then working the way into Moab for the weekend. THe group is consisting of some excellent people that I take privilege in calling friends @allen.wrench @Inukshuk @BritKLR @Johnny Utah @hitchhiker please chime in if you are coming along and I missed your name so the group can account for you. For clarification, sadly I won't be able to attend this as I have committed to the Bill Burke class and to the Cruise Moab event.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Count me in, and probably bringing my 17 year old (who really needs to get a forum name and join...)

I have led many trails at past CM's and would be happy to run any of those this weekend, and at CM. In fact I led Dome Plateau many times :)

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
It sounds like we could be camping in different places each night? If so I would want to bring the small camping trailer or just use a tent over bringing the larger camper...but if the :Princess: comes along I might have to setup the camper in one place :)

Hants

Rising Sun Member
Planning to come, too, if there's room?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
The spot I have in mind is a bare patch of desert 2 miles and 20 min off Owl Draw Road. For those of you have have driven Dome Plateau, this is where we usually exit. For those of you have have driven Kokopelli, this is where we usually enter. 38° 51' 35.56" N, 109° 17' 39.90" W (38.859878, -109.294417)

You will use 4WD Lo to get to camp, but nothing technical. If you arrive after dark you will feel like you are on the moon when you wake.

From here in the AM we can quickly backtrack to pavement and right to Moab or continue on to see some Dome plateau trails.

To Tread Lightly, we'll use wood or propane firepits and either prepare to pack out solid human waste or to dig a cathole far from camp and pack out the TP. This area is greater than 20 miles from Moab and typical BLM regulated, not the more heavily regulated Moab region.

I will give the exact coordinates to the attendees by PM. Even those may be slightly off since I am taking them from satellite views but 100% they will be close and on the road in.

I have other ares we can consider for Friday and Saturday nights we can discuss as a group while out there.

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
The spot I have in mind is a bare patch of desert 2 miles and 20 min off Owl Draw Road. For those of you have have driven Dome Plateau, this is where we usually exit. For those of you have have driven Kokopelli, this is where we usually enter. 38° 51' 35.56" N, 109° 17' 39.90" W (38.859878, -109.294417)

You will use 4WD Lo to get to camp, but nothing technical. If you arrive after dark you will feel like you are on the moon when you wake.

From here in the AM we can quickly backtrack to pavement and right to Moab or continue on to see some Dome plateau trails.

To Tread Lightly, we'll use wood or propane firepits and either prepare to pack out solid human waste or to dig a cathole far from camp and pack out the TP. This area is greater than 20 miles from Moab and typical BLM regulated, not the more heavily regulated Moab region.

I will give the exact coordinates to the attendees by PM. Even those may be slightly off since I am taking them from satellite views but 100% they will be close and on the road in.

I have other ares we can consider for Friday and Saturday nights we can discuss as a group while out there.
Looking forward to it! Thanks!

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee

Just a thought Daniel...the entrance to Dome Plateau there by the Dewey Bridge has a campground with sites, toilets, water, etc. I think that is where we are going to stay. A *little* nicer and only a couple miles away.

I would be happy to lead Dome either day and teach it to anyone, have led it at CM several times.

Thanks man

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
My health permitting, Ann and I are in. We'll bring the 200 and Jake (@hitchhiker ) will be in the 80. On Thursday night I think we will camp at Dewey Bridge and meet up with everyone Friday morning. We'll be on 146.460 unless there is another designated frequency.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Just a thought Daniel...the entrance to Dome Plateau there by the Dewey Bridge has a campground with sites, toilets, water, etc. I think that is where we are going to stay. A *little* nicer and only a couple miles away.
Teachable moment: How do we as group look at this action item? How does a leader lead it?

Leading is not a committee activity, nor a dictatorship. All of you here are leaders. As our first teachable moment, how do you lead it? Leading is not always what it seems.

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
One of the first things I'd do is to check my ego and listen. Sometimes easier said than done, and sometimes it's straight up easy. But in either case I believe it should be done because maybe the suggestion is a better option (two heads are better than one).

Give the suggestion a few seconds to process. Don't waste time, but give it a breathe or two.

Also express you're perspective in choosing to stick with the original plan. There may be considerations & responsibilities that the leader (and gunner) has that most everyone else in the convoy may not. In the case of leading a Cruise Moab trail, I'd say one primary reason to stick to the original plan is because that's where HQ expects everyone. That's important in case of emergency.

In case of choosing pre-run camp site, my quick perspective is that @Inukshuk is foreign to me and worth exploring, inspite of it being potentially less convenient than the Dewey bridge campground. I'm good with either, I'd just lean towards trying something new because that provides opportunity for growth.

Allen