• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Cool Things I Saw Online and Now I Want

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
20231224_161843.jpg

I highly recommend this product, Trac tire jack. First saw it at the Overland expo and thought it was a cool idea. @Yarn Cruiser got it for me for xmas and we used it today on her truck. My back is happier too😁

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
But will it lift my spare up to the swing out?
This will only lift a tire a few inches off the ground. Good for rotation and maintenance usage

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
I wonder what those o rings are made of... Specifically I wonder how long it takes them to degrade.

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Propress is pretty cool. I would think the o-rings would last a pretty long time if installed/crimped fully. Should be very little atmosphere to degrade them.

That screenshot of the video above illustrates the detail needed to install correctly though. Deburr ID and OD of the pipes to be connected. I have never seen a plumber deburr the ID, much less the OD.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
We had a new boiler put in at work and all the connections were Pro Press. It’s kind of like Shark bite on steroids, and it’s actually code approved. Really good stuff.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
That crimped type is made by Viega and is called the ProPress. They claim it'll last as long as the copper itself. They use it to plumb Navy ships and it's allowed by seismic code in California and for use in fire protection. It's easily just as good as soldering.

@rushthezeppelin, to your question, they three types of o-ring material. The standard water or compressed air is EPDM (cross linked rubber, you also see this on welding cable insulation), the one for liquid petroleum is FKM (a fluorocarbon elastomer) and natural gas is HNBR (nitrile basically).

Last edited:

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
https://gsaauctions.gov/auctions/preview/267504
If I ever won the lotto, no one would know, but there would certainly be signs.
180 FOOT FAST SUPPORT VESSEL HRN 184ULV1809
Only 6 Hours remaining on the auction. It's sitting at a cool $500,500 bid.
View attachment 125368

"PROPULSION: 4 Marine Jet Power 650 jets powered by 4 Cummins
QSK-50 Marine Propulsion Diesel Engines 1,800 hp @ 1,900 rpm."
View attachment 125369
Oh Captain, my captain.
Man, if you're setting up your own navy you might as well add air support.

This is an ex-Jordanian air force F16A/B MLU for $8.5 million. It's not even neutered and could, in theory, be put right back in service.

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Man, if you're setting up your own navy you might as well add air support.

This is an ex-Jordanian air force F16A/B MLU for $8.5 million. It's not even neutered and could, in theory, be put right back in service.

I just watched a 1 min video on the start up sequence of an F-16. It's not even that hard, just switch some flips, arm the ejecto-seato, Taxi for take off.
... Just make sure to complete your handoff to Class B airspace, other wise people might get real grumpy.

I wonder how much an AIM-7M is on the internet? I'm sure we can find an auction house for that, right?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I just watched a 1 min video on the start up sequence of an F-16. It's not even that hard, just switch some flips, arm the ejecto-seato, Taxi for take off.
... Just make sure to complete your handoff to Class B airspace, other wise people might get real grumpy.

I wonder how much an AIM-7M is on the internet? I'm sure we can find an auction house for that, right?
Wonder if eBay has a <dot>onion site?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

RDub

Those I can use! Just ordered. Thanks for posting!

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member