Chinaman's Gulch Club Run, Sat. April 1st

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
trout14 said:
Sounds like a fun time. What are the chances a stock 100 with a rear locker can do this trail without damage and with a rookie driver as well?
Thanks,
Dave

With a stock 100 and no sliders you would want to be an experianced driver. So you would need to be prepared for some trail damage.

Kinda thought it would be out of my league after doing some more reading. Don't care for body damage quite yet. Very much a rookie. Pretty much the most challenging I have done is go up the forest service road probably most of you take down leading out of Carnage Canyon (near Boulder). Not exactly difficult, but that is the most I have done, other than some rocky roads such as the 4x4 road at the sand dunes. Will wait until another group run does something a bit more in my league.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Wow! This run looks REAL tempting. I've never run Chinaman's Gulch. Might be too hard to pass up. :grinpimp:

Chris

Hard Core 4+
:eek: I'm think I'll side with trout14 on this.

I was thinking of giving it a try but as a noob I think I'll wait until the group does something a bit less formidable.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
so who's down for camping? I know a GREAT spot that will fit 5+ vehicles and gear..

Attachments

• chinamans 2.jpg
    chinamans 2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 274

Beater

Hard Core 4+
heres a pic from 3 years ago, on one of the uglier NON avoidable sections for those not familiar with the trail.

Attachments

• chinamans 1.jpg
    chinamans 1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 258

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
green machine said:
so who's down for camping? I know a GREAT spot that will fit 5+ vehicles and gear..

Nice spot and I bet we could winch that unsightly Mange Mower out of the way and make it really nice! :p: :lmao: :cheers:

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
That's the rock (your rear tire is on) that I ripped my fender flare off on years ago before I had sliders. FYI, - he's running the trail in reverse.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
JadeRunner said:
That's the rock (your rear tire is on) that I ripped my fender flare off on years ago before I had sliders. FYI, - he's running the trail in reverse.

That's right before the real tippy mogul spot by the tree. Wife wanted to go down back the way we came with over 300# on the roof....

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Notice the nifty frame flex on said Mange Mower... not to mention, that thing was downright ScaryTippy with soft coils.

The rock is avoidable, unless you are aiming for a real schweet poser pic. Not that there's anything wrong with that... or, um, like I wouldn't.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
Red_Chili said:
Notice the nifty frame flex on said Mange Mower... not to mention, that thing was downright ScaryTippy with soft coils.

The rock is avoidable, unless you are aiming for a real schweet poser pic. Not that there's anything wrong with that... or, um, like I wouldn't.

please utilize your technical skills and illustrate just where the frame "flexed".

Please.

:bowdown:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I like the front receiver, did you use that much? I must say I do like your fabbin' ability.. :)

You guys have fun Saturday, I'm out this time, I just can't afford the time away from the house from dusk to dawn my one day of the week to get stuff done. and the list keeps getting longer..

Beater

Hard Core 4+
nakman said:
I like the front receiver, did you use that much? I must say I do like your fabbin' ability.. :)

Thanks.

Didn't see much utilization. just when I was finishing the winch tray to fit there, I sold the truck :rolleyes:

I did pull a few people out with it, and it was handy for moving my trailer once.

j

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Im going to have to pass on this run sincethe 80 is still on jack stands for
the R&P install :bawl: :bawl:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I'm in

As Perry said - I'm in and Perry is riding shotgun and playing DJ.

Robbie - please add me to that list!

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
green machine said:
heres a pic from 3 years ago, on one of the uglier NON avoidable sections for those not familiar with the trail.

Is the longer wheel base of an 80 better or the shorter wheel base of the 40 for this trail.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
Romer said:
Is the longer wheel base of an 80 better or the shorter wheel base of the 40 for this trail.

You know, I think it's varied enough that the wheelbase doesn't matter too much, I think it's about overall length on this trail. I know runners/xj's don't have much problems, and I have taken several stock rubi's through. The Rubi's drug alot, but they were completely stock on 245's. I think you would have a blast in the 40.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Romer said:

A short wheel base will always wheel a tight rocky trail better than a long wheel base. A long wheel base will ride smother and climb better. Two differant beasts! I like the challenge of herding wagons over obsticles as it's a serious challenge to keep that ocean of sheetmetal out of harms way! :Princess: :cool:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
green machine said:
please utilize your technical skills and illustrate just where the frame "flexed".

Please.

:bowdown:
Ooo... Mayhaps did I strike an arc?
The gap betwixt the rock slider and body seam reveals either frame flex or fabricator error, but I know the fabricator and that cannot be it...
or perhaps a cheapie camera but I doubt that too.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Well crap...I took the truck apart and ran into a fab issue with the fenders. I might not make the run now.... :(