• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Chinaman's Gulch Club Run, Sat. April 1st

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
thefatkid said:
Will Justin be able to make this trip? Or will he still be in Farmington?
He's back and working at Burt again, I will mention it to him - he can probably go!

A Sammy with a 3.4.... whiskey tango hotel? Hooboy.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Brady called me today. They're planning on bringing two FJ Cruisers to Chinaman's Gulch. One has an ARB front bumper, the other one is stock. I told him to bring both!

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Hulk said:
Brady called me today. They're planning on bringing two FJ Cruisers to Chinaman's Gulch. One has an ARB front bumper, the other one is stock. I told him to bring both!

Way to go Matt. What a perfect trail to test a stock rig. When I first did it stock (no armor, but a lift), I ripped a fender flare off. Driver error of course.

Attachments

• Chinamans Gulch20.jpg
    Chinamans Gulch20.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 278

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Steve Hunt from New Mexico making a successfull run at it.

The longer wheel base rigs with a front locker can make quick work of this obstacle, providing the driver has his head together. I have yet to see an 80 series do it though. Mike Aaron was close once.

Attachments

• 143-4396_IMG.JPG
    143-4396_IMG.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 299

Nay

Hard Core 4+
JadeRunner said:
Steve Hunt from New Mexico making a successfull run at it.

The longer wheel base rigs with a front locker can make quick work of this obstacle, providing the driver has his head together. I have yet to see an 80 series do it though. Mike Aaron was close once.

Last time I ran Chinaman's in early Spring the base of the entire obstacle was a muddy mess from snowmelt...it's an entirely different beast with mud...and I bet it'll be muddy this time :D

Nay

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
I tried that line once and could get the front up, but the rear just would not climb it. had to come off it. I think the wheel base was a little too long and the front did not have enough weight to pull it up.
Now the FJ crusier, it may be fun to try it on the 31.5 tires they give us. Any how any one that want to drive the FJ will have to show Id(we want to get a mug shot of you as well), you will have to sign a wavier (we get all your money if you die :lmao: ). Any way I am looking forward to seeing you all and having a fun time.
Things we need from the people that want to drive are a drivers licence, a waiver, and a photo of you. We will then post up your pic on the web site that will launch on the 27th. We get to show the world how much fun you are having as you roll the FJ on it top :flop: (leave that to us, the professional driver types), only kidding. You guys are not allow to roll the FJ no matter what you want to do :hill: .
Later robbie

Last edited:

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
What am I getting into?

:eek:

Tell me that rock is optional!? Now I am kinda freakin' out... and all excited at once!

Seriously, are their bypasses for that kind of stuff? And one more, how far from Boulder is the trail head? :confused:

Thanks-

Drew

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Rezarf said:
:eek:

Tell me that rock is optional!? Now I am kinda freakin' out... and all excited at once!

Seriously, are their bypasses for that kind of stuff? And one more, how far from Boulder is the trail head? :confused:

Thanks-

Drew
That is the hardest of three lines over this obstacle. So don't worry. The trailhead is 2 hrs from most of the Denver metro area (in good traffic). So add 30-45 min. to that time.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Robbie, put me on your sign-up list to drive the FJ. So I'll bring a picture with myself if that's needed.

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Hey Scott, we will have some camera's both still and video to take pics. No need to bring the pic with the wife and kids to show that you are a good family man. We all know you are. Any how looking forward to the 1st. later robbie

Magoo

for folks that have run this trail.
can i get away with a stock 88p/u on 33's? never seen the trail so i figured id ask
shawn

wesintl

RS Moderator
whadda bout the diesel :confused: :fing: Will i have any issues taking all the bypasses? yea I already know I'm a wuss. :rant:

Nay

Hard Core 4+
You can run this trail in a capable stock rig. Don't let the pics scare you...Old Chinaman's starts out with a rocky climb that has a couple of small ledges and a kind of tight squeeze between two boulders, and there is no bypass to this. After that, all of the serious rock obstacles have bypasses (the bypass to the pics on this thread is to the right hand side).

I know I am being redundant to earlier posts, but if you are looking to test out your rig (and yourself) in a group with varying capabilities, you can't beat Old Chinaman's. The fun starts in the first 100 feet and goes all day. If you can get up the initial climb, and I doubt anybody will have any problems, then you should be good. If you can't get up the initial climb, then there's hot springs and cold :beer: nearby :D .

Nay

Nay

Hard Core 4+
powderpig said:
I tried that line once and could get the front up, but the rear just would not climb it. had to come off it. I think the wheel base was a little too long and the front did not have enough weight to pull it up.

This is actually more tech, but it brings up an interesting question: Robbie, what you describe sounds like the typical "unloading" with radius arm suspensions on steep climbs, where the front end will just "drop out" rather than retaining balanced weight and pulling forward. Radius arms installed on hardcore rigs typically need a limiting strap system to counteract this so that the tires have full droop on each side, but the entire axle cannot droop more than a few inches and "unload".

Seems the longer wheelbase would keep better weight on the front and be a major advantage (presuming enough breakover angle), not the other way around...just curious as to what you think about the radius arm issue.

Nay

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Nay said:
You can run this trail in a capable stock rig. Don't let the pics scare you...Old Chinaman's starts out with a rocky climb that has a couple of small ledges and a kind of tight squeeze between two boulders, and there is no bypass to this. After that, all of the serious rock obstacles have bypasses (the bypass to the pics on this thread is to the right hand side).

I know I am being redundant to earlier posts, but if you are looking to test out your rig (and yourself) in a group with varying capabilities, you can't beat Old Chinaman's. The fun starts in the first 100 feet and goes all day. If you can get up the initial climb, and I doubt anybody will have any problems, then you should be good. If you can't get up the initial climb, then there's hot springs and cold :beer: nearby :D .

Nay

I agree with Nay on his descrpiption of this trail. 33's and a little driving skill and you won't have problems.

Sounds like a fun time. What are the chances a stock 100 with a rear locker can do this trail without damage and with a rookie driver as well?
Thanks,
Dave

Beater

Hard Core 4+
trout14 said:
Sounds like a fun time. What are the chances a stock 100 with a rear locker can do this trail without damage and with a rookie driver as well?
Thanks,
Dave

this trail is rated a 7 out of 10. only portions are a seven, but let that be your guide. I did this trail once without sliders and on 31's, and I had the sawzall out the next day.