• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Chinaman's Gulch Club Run, Sat. April 1st

Thanks for the info, Scott. I've got the 33's and sliders...some day I'll have lockers!

Chris

This sounds like a fun first trail of the new year. Unfortunately, I don't have 33's or a locker. Just my small 31's and decent sliders. Anyone think I should try it?

Matt

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Yes. It's not like you are going to have to do Carnage which is very close by. You'll have a great time.

gcmandrake said:
This sounds like a fun first trail of the new year. Unfortunately, I don't have 33's or a locker. Just my small 31's and decent sliders. Anyone think I should try it?

Matt

Nay

Hard Core 4+
I agree - everything that is truly difficult on Chinaman's is optional...just need some basic ground clearance and a good driver...

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
FJ Cruiser Trail Team has cancelled

Just got a call from Brady. Toyota has requested the FJ Cruiser Trail Team for a corporate Toyota event in L.A. So we are S.O.L. as far as the FJ Cruiser Team for our April 1 run. He felt really bad; he was excited to go on the run himself, and he knew that we had organized this run around their schedule. He tried to negotiate with them, but there was no negotiating.

He offered up a couple of other dates for Rising Sun event with the FJ Team. One was a May date right after CM, which I thought was weak. The other was the Saturday before Father's Day, June 17. I told him to pencil us in on the June 17 date.

The Chinaman's run doesn't need to be cancelled -- I'd still like to go. :fing:

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Howdy,

I am running 35's, no sliders, no lockers... should I try it out? Still trying to get some time on Colorado trails, most of my experience in wheeling is in the mud and swamp being from florida and all... yuck!

Rocks still scare me :D

Drew

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
If you were stock, I'd still say yes. Hell yeah, get out on the trail. We'll have some of our best spotters on this run. The best way to learn is by doing it. You'll have a blast.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Hulk said:
Toyota has requested the FJ Cruiser Trail Team for a corporate Toyota event in L.A.

Well that's too bad. I bet they won't even need to air down for that event. That's no fun.

Oh well, this was all a good excuse to plan a run to Chinaman's. I still look forward to it. It sounds like a lot of members that haven't run this trail before will be out, so that should be fun.

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Rezarf said:
Howdy,

I am running 35's, no sliders, no lockers... should I try it out? Still trying to get some time on Colorado trails, most of my experience in wheeling is in the mud and swamp being from florida and all... yuck!

Rocks still scare me :D

Drew

I think Chinaman's may be the best trail in the state to cut your teeth on Colorado wheeling. You can go really hardcore on some options, pretty light if you bypass...and the big thing...no ledge roads or obstacles that have a major pucker factor. You can certainly roll it on Chinaman's, but you aren't going to roll it off a cliff.

You don't need lockers for this trail, even for some of the good optional obstacles...awesome trail for gauging your capability...

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
FJ Cruiser Trail Team - back ON!

This just in: Toyota rescheduled the corporate event. The FJ Cruiser Trail Team (including Robbie) will definitely be at Gunsmoke Truckstop in Johnson Village at 9:30am on April 1st.

Repeat: the FJ Cruiser Trail Team is back in for this run!

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Hulk said:
This just in: Toyota rescheduled the corporate event. The FJ Cruiser Trail Team (including Robbie) will definitely be at Gunsmoke Truckstop in Johnson Village at 9:30am on April 1st.

Repeat: the FJ Cruiser Trail Team is back in for this run!

Hey, that's great news!

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Looks like I'm in

I got the ok to go. I'll be bringing my 21 month old son. Think there will be any snow? There was plently driving through Buena Vista earlier this week. Think the uzj100 can make it? (do I even need to ask? of course it can. :lmao: )

Nay

Hard Core 4+
farnhamstj said:
I got the ok to go. I'll be bringing my 21 month old son. Think there will be any snow? There was plently driving through Buena Vista earlier this week. Think the uzj100 can make it? (do I even need to ask? of course it can. :lmao: )

Chinaman's is on a West facing slope on the east side of the Sawatch...unless it has snowed recently it should be generally clear (holding snow on Chinaman's is kinda like holding it on the plains...unless it is shady it's going to melt fast...but if you go right after a storm it could be a mess). There are some shady spots that will hold snow...and a couple of them are on nice off camber spots...but all in all Chinaman's is much more like a desert trail than a mountain trail.

Nay

Three Wheel Ben

Trail Ready
farnhamstj said:

We are planning on coming to this as well, and bringing the 100, if I get the arb in the front.(2 pinion carrier makes me nervous) :eek:

2 100 on the same trail - cool.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Don't let thefatkid fool ya, he is no n00b.

I'll try to make this one!

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Looks like this is going to be a fun run :cool: , Fj cruiser and all. I'll be riding shotgun with Dan :hill: , yes taking LOTS of photos. Works out that it's on my three day weekend. Will be fun to see what the new :robbie: can do :drink: :drink: .

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
This is going to be great run. It looks were going to have a good showing of veteran club members as well as new rigs. Cruisers new and old all over the place. With a few Runners mixed in. :)

Last big run we did there, we had 18 rigs. Everyone was prepared and we made it through smoothly.

I will need the tail gunner to hang back at the Gunsmoke a little while to make sure the latecomers get to the trailhead. They will still need to air down when they pull in. Then, the mid gunner will tail gun the first main group. That way we can leave at 10am sharp.

GreenMachine - Uncle Ben, thanks for offering to be gunners.
You guys decide who takes the mid gun position. I expect at least 20 rigs, including the latecomers. Chili, we might need to do some clean-up at Whale Rock. It seems like there always oil in the dirt and on the rock at the Whale Rock obstacle.

On Chinaman's it seems the group gets broken up a bit as people work the optional obstacles toward the end of the trail. This is before we hook back into the trail and descend.

Here a few pictures of Cheeseman (greg), making it up the left line of Whale Rock.

Attachments

• 122-2290_IMG (Small).JPG
    122-2290_IMG (Small).JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 258
  • 122-2297_IMG (Small).JPG
    122-2297_IMG (Small).JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 269
  • 122-2300_IMG (Small).JPG
    122-2300_IMG (Small).JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 335