• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Chain Saws

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for your thoughts - helpful!

One of my biggest beefs with Husqvarna is their crappy parts network and chain-store sales. Husqvarna corporate actually referred me to a 3rd party site when I asked them a pointed question about part numbers and parts confusion. Nothing like Toyota!

My brother has an 1990s-era Stihl 044 he doesn't use much and will loan me (it's a beast), so I may glom onto that while I tinker with my Husqvarna and see if I can't bring it back to full readiness. If that doesn't work, I will likely go to a new Stihl of some sort.

Steve

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Another day in the books. Cut time is half what it was. Anyone on the fence with saw size just but the biggest you can justify. No regrets on my end

2E8B0A0E-0444-48CF-87C7-9BDE2CB10092.jpeg

9D9DF588-1F13-4777-B215-CD00F733A664.jpeg

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
Nice! Where you do go for cutting? I’ve cut and split two cord of lodgepole so far. I’d like to find some fir or ponderosa.

Im working on getting my hands on a 460. If that goes through I might take that as an opportunity to hot rod my echo. Thinking base gasket delete, porting, further gut the muffler, maybe advance the timing a bit.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I was on an MS362 trajectory… and waffling on a 462 maybe.. Then I found out about the MS400…. And the dealer said he had one coming in maybe soon.

I’m hoping it’s my saw we shall see. I’m kinda ready for an upgrade.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I was on an MS362 trajectory… and waffling on a 462 maybe.. Then I found out about the MS400…. And the dealer said he had one coming in maybe soon.

I’m hoping it’s my saw we shall see. I’m kinda ready for an upgrade.
I handled one a couple month ago down here. Didn’t get to run it. Power sits between those two and lighter than both (definitely the 462). Can’t see it being a bad choice unless you have to have the power of the 462. It’s a M-Tronic saw. If it was fuel injected like the 500i I’d probably have buyers remorse.

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
Cut some wood last weekend. Probably up to about 3 cord at the house now. This 261 has been great.

what are y’all using for sharpening? I’ve always filed, but I’m starting to think about spending less time filing and more time cutting. Thinking about the granberg precision grinder.

75E88200-6524-4F24-9061-6F1A4C813F92.jpeg

4BD237F8-2310-4769-A474-159E444C4A1E.jpeg

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
yea
Been using the Stihl 2 in 1 file for a few years. Works very well.

View attachment 98418

I was thinking about buying an electric sharpening device and watched this. Now I’m less excited to spend more money.

In his review I think his top one is the one I was also thinking about.

I get good enough results with a file but the electric one would be faster and more precise. If I end up getting one I’ll report back

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I use a regular file and then every few years I just take the chains to a place. That 2 in 1 stihl thinggie looks neat I may have to pick one up.

If I keep the chain outta the dirt it stays sharp for a while. It's my helpers saw that gets the chain wrecked and requires daily filing.

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
That’s a nice saw. I just picked up a project stihl 460. I took a similar picture today. Been clearing a corner of our lot.
1147C9F1-9AD7-4C5A-AED4-65B962ADD95B.jpeg

DanS

Rising Sun Member
After a bit of time with the 362CM and the 500i....

The 500i is a pain to start the first time of the day. Takes a lot to get the fuel into the injection system after it sits overnight, but after that it's absolutely beautiful. No need for compression release even, it just starts right up and has GOBS of power.

The 362CM is also really, really nice. Same weight as my 290, but LOTS more power. Because it's a CM it's also less fatiguing on the arms to use all day.

In the electric world the MSA220CBQ is a more powerful electric saw, with 3/8" pico chain. I will probably upgrade to one, and move the MSA200CBQ to a truck in case we come home to downed limbs one of these days. A little birdie told me that there's also an MSA300CBQ in the works at the moment. Since I've got a handful of batteries and a charger, it's pretty cheap to add another Electric saw to my quiver.

Dan

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
IMG_1723 2.jpeg
The Echo 490 took a bite out of a big red oak today. I made these cuts just above the hollow bit. It's just shy of 48" in diameter. Biggest log we've tackled to date.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Merry Christmas everyone. Used that chainsaw today to take down this 12 to 14 inch standing deadwood about 30 feet tall, chopped it up in the logs and all was good. Great fatwood in that tree too.

F747AD72-C1B3-43D7-AE56-BCD7FCFAF77C.jpeg

Last edited:

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
That is an unusual looking cut at the stump.

It’s one I’ve seen stumps cut this way before - I don’t think it’s a method that I’d wanna run. Here’s a good summary of notches. It’s worth a watch.