• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Chain Saws

WVU fan

Rising Sun Member
Anyone want a 2003 craftsman 16"? Just tore down an eyesore shed in my backyard and found it buried. Looks like it needs a thorough tune up

Attachments

• 20200601_173811.jpg
    20200601_173811.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 172
  • 20200601_173843.jpg
    20200601_173843.jpg
    886 KB · Views: 161

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Anyone want a 2003 craftsman 16"? Just tore down an eyesore shed in my backyard and found it buried. Looks like it needs a thorough tune up

:woot: Sure, I'd be a fool not to try it out!

lazyLfarm

Wincher
2 years ago I needed a saw. We have 11 acres, lots big old trees and that means lots of upkeep. Everyone was pushing me towards Stihl which I didn't mind until I remembered my Echo weedeater that I have beat the heck out of for 6 years. I starts everytime in 3 pulls. So I researched Echo chainsaws, vs Stihl and Husqvarana. I started going down the, well you might as well get a pro saw, before I pulled it back a little bit for the few times a year I use it.
I settled on an Echo Timberwolf CS-590. Not pro-level but has some pro feature, more power and better features than the Stihl/Husqvarna in that price range.

Magnesium/Aluminum crank case, bolt on cylinder, 5 year warranty

So far, it starts everytime within a few pulls...3-4 pulls with decompression on, choke on. Once it pops once, take the choke off and she fires next 1 or 2 pulls. Hasn't run out of power at at all and I've put it through some big ol trees over 2' in diameter.

Going to need it again tonight...woke up to this.

IMG_7783.jpg

IMG_7784.jpg

Woodsman

Trail Ready
I settled on an Echo Timberwolf CS-590. Not pro-level but has some pro feature, more power and better features than the Stihl/Husqvarna in that price range.

Magnesium/Aluminum crank case, bolt on cylinder, 5 year warranty

So far, it starts everytime within a few pulls...3-4 pulls with decompression on, choke on. Once it pops once, take the choke off and she fires next 1 or 2 pulls. Hasn't run out of power at at all and I've put it through some big ol trees over 2' in diameter.

My experience is that the only individuals that criticize the Echos are those that haven't used one (most people). I have to ask, if Stihl is so great, why don't they have a five year warranty ? Of the Stihls we've had on the farm, only the most recent one is (so far) trouble free.

lazyLfarm

Wincher
My experience is that the only individuals that criticize the Echos are those that haven't used one (most people). I have to ask, if Stihl is so great, why don't they have a five year warranty ? Of the Stihls we've had on the farm, only the most recent one is (so far) trouble free.

I've been impressed with it. My my friend had a slightly smaller Stihl and was pretty amazed by how well that Echo cut and ran. That seems like the impression I get as well...It's not a Stihl so it's not good.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
That's a good point. My FIL has an Echo I've used to cut a bunch of trees down up at his property, and I am probably more likely to grab the Echo than the Husky 359 sitting right next to it.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Deep cleaning of bar, brake, clutch area, general wipe down, clean air filter, new spark plug, new chain, oil bar pulley, add gas, bar oil level was ok at 1/2, clean oil and junk from bottom of case. Prime, choke, fast idle lock, 5 easy pulls, started to catch on #5, turn off fast idle, pull#6 its alive! Kit is ready for the trail.

If you must have video: https://markofsky-my.sharepoint.com...ZLqbjw991ToyEBNJNZ1n6zsTI6hY1LBZa82w?e=SvJULd

Chainsaw.JPG

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Deep cleaning of bar, brake, clutch area, general wipe down, clean air filter, new spark plug, new chain, oil bar pulley, add gas, bar oil level was ok at 1/2, clean oil and junk from bottom of case. Prime, choke, fast idle lock, 5 easy pulls, started to catch on #5, turn off fast idle, pull#6 its alive! Kit is ready for the trail.

If you must have video: https://markofsky-my.sharepoint.com...ZLqbjw991ToyEBNJNZ1n6zsTI6hY1LBZa82w?e=SvJULd

View attachment 86487
Hell yea! You’ll get your free out of that for sure.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
If anyone has some old but not leaky fuel bottles (like stove/msr type) to sell I'll be looking to get two - one for gas mix, 1 for bar oil.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
And great to meet another awesome Rising Sun person - Thank you Matt @WVU fan

Props to @Burt88 for teaching me everything about chain saw maintenance in a few minutes and making sure I bought the right parts to get started
Props to @jps8460 for texting me when he saw Matt's offer

This is now a great resource thread.

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
Way to go Daniel

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Daniel, you should pick up a pair of chaps. I admit for a quick trail cut I don't generally put mine on. But have them if you find yourself doing actual chainsaw work. And well we should be putting them on anytime running the saw.

Get yourself a plastic wedge too. It will save you the headache of pinching the bar with a tree in a less than ideal position.

Chainsaw chaps.jpg

subzali

Hard Core 4+
This thread and my FIL inspired me to try to get the little Husqvarna 41 (Poulan-inspired homeowner saw) that he gave me going again. Lately it's been hard to keep running, like starving for fuel. I switched over to Stihl motomix since I don't use much of it anyway in a given year (it's not cheap), and it made a huge difference in how my Echo weedwhacker runs. So I tried it in the Husky and it's been starting and running great! Don't know if it cleared anything up but it's ready for fence and tree work now!

And because pictures...
3C34FD44-8BA9-445B-9DEB-7CD4FE5A2ED3.jpeg

and its big brother I picked up for $150 including the carrying case, bar oil and extra chain...Husky 357XP. Good deals can be had on Craigslist.
1182EDCF-2502-499E-B8FA-14E421245E61.jpeg

D3735879-EB85-4FCC-8185-8FEC151FDE87.jpeg

Last edited: