• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Chain Saws

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
How do you get rid of the stumps? What’s your process?
The reason I left them so tall is so I can wrap a chain around them and pull them out with the tractor. That’s the plan anyway.

I could dig a few out and flush cut the rest if needed. That’s the easier way, but you still have them in the ground.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
That’s what I figured. I have this same issue and often think of dynamite!

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
In the old days people would use powder charges and dig a hole under the stumps. Not sure it’s so accepted these days but my stump frustration always tempts me :)

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I decided to work my MSA 200c hard today just to see what one battery can do. Here is the result. In addition I'm sure I made over 200 cuts of smaller limbs sectioning them down for the wood stove. This stuff will get run over the splitter.

70FD599A-7E88-4E91-8BE0-C01D4D7090B9.jpeg

Last edited:

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I have definitely found many uses for my battery op chainsaw. I especially enjoy using it for that annoying tree along my road that starts scraping the side of my truck. I just jump out, grab the electric and take down whatever is needed to keep my truck from getting scratched. I also have a matching battery op pole saw that has helped immensely with overhanging limbs.

Amazing to see how much you were able to get out of one battery. Impressive.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
My 25” bar wonders while bucking up large trees with the OEM single dog. So I’m going to try some larger felling dogs from Westcoast Saw. They offer 3,4,5 spike options but seem most proud of the 3 spike model. With this set up I get support on both sides of the bar plus much larger spikes

9E5BCEFA-1AFA-4A02-B297-0D97A1415BAB.jpeg

D4053051-3E5B-4C40-88D8-D6B7311D86D9.jpeg

Last edited:

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I ran into this same issue with my Echo Timberwolf this weekend, cutting on the property. I'm going to research what options, if any, can get me longer, paired, dogs on the CS-590.

On another note, I never did admit that I bought myself a father's day present this year. I found a 500i on sale so it made quick work of the trees we cut this past weekend. I ran a 28" bar on it for a while which really saved my back, and then put the 20" bar on it which was plenty for the trees we were cutting. With a 20 on it, that thing screams through 15" pines like they are branches!!!

116305EC-4843-4501-9C90-9FF72C1C2E6A.jpeg

I'm still not that happy with getting the 500i started. Not sure why, but it takes quite a few false starts before it adjusts and idles. Once it is started, never another problem, but even after priming, it just does not want to start and idle. I'll read up on it and see if I'm doing something wrong, but for a saw that expensive, it seems like it should be easier to get going.

We ended up, between the 4 of us cutting this weekend, taking out 70 or 80 trees! We also got my RV trailer moved further up the hill closer to my new well, and got the storage trailer and Solar system moved up the hill as well. Views are incredible with all of the trees taken out, and will only improve more with the remaining trees that are marked.

Last edited:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member

This is where I sourced mine. They definitely have stuff for the 500i.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Thanks, Corbet. Looks like they have them for the Echo CS-590 as well.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Agree on the setting aside during work shifts. The nice thing about the 500i is that you can prime it and push colder gas in before starting it hot. I don't have any problems after I've had it running already. It's literally only on the very first cold start that it seems like the injection system takes a bit to set the idle? Not sure if that's even how it works, but that's what it acts like.

I'm sure Dan S has more experience with his and could give me some pointers :)

P

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
The more I run my saws with the new felling dogs the more I like them. Ran the MS290 today for the first time in over a year. It just cuts better with them.

Also picked up a Milwaukee Tool Packout box to organize my saw stuff. Much better than the plastic tub I was using before. Keeps stuff organized. And just the right size for everything I need on the mountain.

0DC18E11-4459-423D-B7DC-BB5CDBBF378B.jpeg

A4F8ECED-BC61-4662-AAB3-A97849939E98.jpeg
866174F1-05AE-4F43-996B-89DFBCA9DEBE.jpeg

LC200TX

Lifted
I have a cordless Makita. I think it’s a great option if you do have extra sets of batteries. Great for small trees and for the trail. But you ain’t gonna chop down trees all day with it.

PhillyB77

I give you, super old school saw. Stihl 041 AV (Farm boss) that has to be 40+ years old. I've been helping my buddy with his fire mitigation business up here, this thing rips and I keep up with the maintenance. Has a stamp that says "Made in West Germany" on it. Old school.

Love this saw. Bucked up a ton of wood all week with it. I thought of getting a new one but nay...I'll stick with the classic.

IMG_7853.JPGIMG_7852.JPGIMG_7854.JPG

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Saw season is here time to bump the thread. No saw photos today just a happy father who didn’t have to load any firewood for the first time. Love the 462 though. No hand fatigue. Only took a couple hours to fill the trailer with this pair of Firs.

IMG_9891.jpeg

Last edited:

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Awesome!!! How many more trailer loads will you need to do this year?