• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Camping Solar Set ups

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I have solar on my Kimberley Karavan and that is awesome letting me keep my Lithium batteries charged for days at a time

Some times I go with my Roof Top tent and have debated on a small solar setup. I do have dual batteries and when moving every few days that has kept the fridge running 24 hrs with no issues

I am curious what some members have for small setups and what they can do with them. How small do they pack as well.

This thread is about collecting what folks have already and a good place to ask questions.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I assembled a pair of 50 watt panels into a suitcase that feeds a controller (I use a Morningstar Sun Saver 15 MPPT) that I can plug into a panel either under the hood or in the back wall of the bed.

It made the most sense for me because of the way the 'Nest works mounting a panel fast to it renders it useless when deployed. Plus doing it this way allowed me to tweak tilt and aim, so my panel can follow the sun all day and any time of year.

This was Mk1, just one panel. Which I found was OK for maintaining but over the course of a day wasn't quite enough if I needed to put significant charge back in. I only run the fridge, which consumes about 1.5 A-hr, so about 36 A-hr per day (although I actually only see about 24ish as it rarely runs all night except on the White Rim in August).

A 50W panel was giving me generally only about 25 to 30 A-hr per day. The Mk2 100W suitcase on most days gets me back to float from overnight draw by lunch.

IMG_0710_mid.jpg

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Dave, I have an Anderson connector tied to my battery setup to connect the trailer while driving. Can I plug that MPPT controller in there and will it charge the battery with what you described? I actually have an MPPT controller I pulled out of the camper as I wanted one with Blue tooth so I could see how the panels were doing

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
As result of a previous incident had to modify an existing set up (Marco). Running a new 100 W renogy solar panel (cables) permanently mounted (semi hidden) beneath my roof rack. To a new waterproof (renogy) PWM controller under the Hood to dual batteries. Batteries are always fully charged even when not driving (2-3 weeks). Traveling running a big fridge, several accessories inside, a newer 1200W pure sine wave converter (rarely used) except USB port (As I am a smoker and anticipate a future B/C- pap of sort).

For my camper I do have a MPPT controller connected to a 1700ah LiPo Renogy battery, thats hooked up with an automatic transfer switch 3000W renogy inverter. That really is not working worth a ..it. (sucks more power than it provides).

But the rig itself is exceptional, thanks Marco.
Could send PIC's if wanted.

Mike

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Couple cheap folding panels 100W panels that I hook up as needed either to Dometic PLB40's (40AH Li-ion) or the truck battery.
One is https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FH85FW9/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_89S07360JZ1QPD0FSSPX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 I grabbed for $65.00 on a crazy sale. Very convenient to carry and use.
Second is older style hard panels that don't pack nearly as well but were equally cheap. I have used them through the truck group 31 battery. But only once, when I was at one spot for a week.
Never needed solar when it was just a 50 QT ARB running, but the 75 qt dual zone Dometic needs more power.
I have found that by day I charge a PLB40 and run the fridge direct off the truck (i.e. not through the PLB40. Then at night I draw down the PLB40 running the fridge.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I have had a few setups over the past few years as I our camping has adjusted with kids.

I have a jackery 300 and the 100 W folding panel a number of us got for a steal at $65. I mostly use this setup when solo camping or just out with a kid to run a heated blanket in the RTT, charge headlamps, etc.
IMG_3759 2.jpeg
When we bought a travel trailer last year, the factory solar/batter setup was insufficient. Installed 4 x 100 W panels on roof (series/parallel setup) to a victron mppt to charge a 200 Ah LiFePO4. Turned off converter as it isn't necessary to keep us topped off. Battery comes inside for the winter. Maybe went a little overboard, but it was fun and we have enough juice for whatever we want. Not wired into the trailer's AC systems, but we really don't use those (AC and microwave). Will probably add a small inverter for charging laptops.
IMG_4884.jpeg
Planning to put a 50/100W flex panel on my hardshell RTT as a permanent battery tender for the land cruiser. Not necessarily for camping, just to keep battery happy.

ChewBaca

Rising Sun Member
I have a goal zero yeti 1000 that I picked up from Costco several years ago. I first used a 100 watt solar panel from Amazon to charge the yeti but the panel was too big to lug around all the time so I recently purchased a refurbished fold up 100 watt panel that is working so far. I wasn't sure what size of yeti to get when I first made my purchase, maybe its too much for my needs but so far does a great job with my fridge, heating blanket, coffee maker, charge station while I'm out.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Ken,
I laminated a thin renogy 100W panel to my RTT with just some silicone sealant in a few spots. This is fantastic for keeping up my house battery vs the fridge in summer and also maintains my set when parked outside for extended periods.
If I'm not running the RTT I can connect a folding set (the Rockpals shown above) of 100W panel and connect to the same controller.

As a systems engineer, you should really check out the Victron controllers and related gear (it's more yacht tech / less Grampas RV, IMO)... mine tracks the history which gives me lots of data about my use efficiency and the overall condition of my batteries. (I'm using the SmartSolar 100/20 bluetooth and SmartBattery sensor with Bluetooth)

20220221_091314.jpg

Controller app screen shot.
Screenshot_20200722-144200.jpg

I've been on a few week long trips with this set up and it's been great. I plan my parking to get morning sun exposure most of the time, it's nice to see the output when in the tent and have the battery voltage available on the phone around camp.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Thanks for starting this @Romer as it is and will be nice to see everyone's setup. I remember the deal on the folding panels and wish I could have gotten in on that.

I'm planning on something modular and transportable as it will be moved between my 80 and my camping trailer as necessary. Hopefully @RayRay27 posts his setup as I recall it being a lot like what I plan on doing.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I have a simple system I put together myself. I have a 100w zamp panel with a solar controller that came with my camper when I bought it.
20220225_161102.jpg

20220225_161110.jpg

I then built a battery station using a group 24 deep cycle marine battery from orileys and a camper battery box. I installed a 12v DC socket and dual USB plug in with a rocker switch and volt meter.
20220225_161126.jpg

20220225_161142.jpg

I then installed a 400w inverter that I had laying around from harbor freight on top along with a small solar panel to trickle charge it. On the back of the battery box I installed a connection to directly plug in the solar panel.
20220225_161153.jpg

20220225_161117.jpg

Then when I'm not using it I leave it on the battery tender until I need to use it.
20220225_161504.jpg

20220225_161520.jpg

This type of set up may not work for a lot of people because it's kind of awkward and heavy to transport around but when I looked at the cost of some of the battery stations on the market I was able to build this for around 170 bucks. Plus I can change the battery out once it's done, something that you can't do with most of the stations you buy now.

It fits all of my needs right now. I can charge all sorts or devices and run a tv and DVD player if I wanted to off the inverter on top with the panel plugged in.

floating_lc

Lifted
I'm no craftsman, but I managed to cobble together a small system contained in the back of my fj80 - 165ah 12v battery, Renergy controller, Renergy 100w flex panel mounted to my RTT, and a cheap 1600watt inverter I extended the faceplate on. I can work full time remotely (laptop), run my fridge, lights, etc with zero issues using this system as long as it is sunny most days. As a backup, I have a small inverter mounted up front powered by duel front battery setup (3 batteries on this rig is a bit much but nice)

IMG_20210926_191942311.jpg

IMAG0469.jpg
IMAG0462.jpg
IMAG0466.jpg
IMAG0455.jpg
IMAG0477.jpg

thatpilotguy

New-ish
I have a RedArc BCDC1250D DC to DC charger that is solar ready. Into this I plug a RedArc 112W Amorphous Cell Solar Blanket. This keeps my second battery charged for the fridge and utility lights.

Simple, clean, and effective, and the blanket folds up nicely for storage.

IMG_0089.jpeg
IMG_0092.jpeg

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Well this showed up today. I'll put it to the test in Moab in a few weeks to see how well it keeps my little camper going.
16809847644933110077764939145338.jpg

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
I have a few power banks but wanted to add some extra capacity and redundancy to our Frankenstein teardrop. I have kept an eye on a bunch of different banks including this one due to the high WH factor per dollar and they just dropped a $180 coupon on top.

View attachment 115176

But wait! there is more! What is this little promotion here? Right below where you clip the coupon?

View attachment 115177

It's a free Laser level priced at $60...

So I added it just for kicks and sure enough, $228 (shipping and tax included) at check out.

View attachment 115178

This charger is li Ion and Not LifePo4; so it will have fewer charge cycles but lighter weight. Not as temp resistant as LifePo4 too, of course but there's an application for it for sure.

Has built in MPPT and pretty decent input and output options. Some reviews about voltage regulation being odd and a 6 hour power shut down safety; but emailed customer service and they claim the newer units are updated. I read a few reviews and it may be addressed already but unsure; going to test it out. Can return so will see.

I have a laser level that I really like already from Bosch; but it doesn't hurt to have an extra and a laser level makes a great gift for me to send to my brother in law.

Not sure how long this promotion runs but its the cheapest WH per dollar I've seen and the bonus level is pretty slick.
Reporting back on this unit: wouldn't recommend it.

The 12v is unregulated. At full charge I was pulling 16.1v and my trailer's LED lights were definitely running brighter. I think the watt hour rating is accurate from two full discharges. It is much lighter than my LifePo4 battery which has the same watt hour capacity and on 120v the inverter isn't using a lot of power itself, seems pretty efficient.

That being said the ports layout, led light, display, permanent handle; and most notably the unregulated 12v port lead me to give it a 2 star rating. The seller was outstanding though customer service wise and responded immediately; said they are addressing the 12v port. They refunded me a chunk of the purchase and I used it to get a 12v regulator.

baileyfj40

Rising Sun Member
I got the Jackery Explorer 1500 and 4 of there 100w panels. Used it the 1st 5 days of my trip to Overland Expo west in Flagstaff and liked it proformance.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I just finished my solar set up for the trailer.

200watt Renogy suitcase panel
20A Renogy River Elite MPPT controller
25ft 8AWG extension cord for panel
BT-2 Renogy Bluetooth Module

This should be enough power to run the trailer indefinitely. Fridge/Freezer, water pump and lights are my only draws.

I could plug in a blender or battery charger for tools/RC cars into the inverter. I’ve considered hard mounting a Makita battery charger.

IMG_8641.jpeg

IMG_8642.jpeg

IMG_8643.png

I purchased the crimping tool to install connectors and make my own cables.

IMG_8639.jpeg

Last edited:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Little report back after a couple weeks of field use. With direct sun and the panel sitting on the top of the trailer closed up it sat for 5 days at a trailhead with the fridge running inside and the ground lights on 24/7 to deter rodents at night. Returned to a 100% charged battery after a backpacking trip.

Camping for a week in a dense canopy of trees with very little direct light I struggled to return the battery to 100%. Days I was around the trailer I could chase the sun with the panel and gain ground. Days I was away I’d loose 10-15% charge. But never fell below 40%. Again I ran the ground lights all night and other lights while in camp. Fridge running of course. Water pump as well daily to do dishes.

Pretty happy with the set up.