Brahma On-Board Air

subzali

Hard Core 4+
You'll hate this answer! :rolleyes: The cheap arse "yellow" coils suck! They kink and when cold they break. The high grade coils you get from truck supply shops are good. (Ige is a good source!) The hoses from Powertank and Ultimate are really good but pricey! If you use regular air hose avoid the plastic crap as It is a pain in the winter and it wears out pretty quickly.

Yeah, the ones at the hardware store are PVC.

1/4" or 3/8"? :)

subzali

Hard Core 4+

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Actually, why aren't you running a storage tank?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Your not running a storage tank....1/8" will easily carry 10cfm! :rolleyes:

Not yet :p:

Okay, understand your point :)

Actually, why aren't you running a storage tank?

I'm just trying to get it up and running for now. I'll worry about a storage tank later. Figured it wasn't really needed for airing up tires alone, but eventually it will be part of the plan.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Ok got it. When I did my OBA setup I learned 2 things: the first was the fewer airline connections the better- at first I had T's all over the place making my sliders into air tanks, multiple places to connect the hose to, etc. 6 months later I was chasing leaks like mad, my breaking point was I actually had a "blow out" on the way back to Reno, just after we aired up at the end of Rubicon- sounded like someone shot out my tire.. but was just a red air line popping off that had worked itself loose. I was happier when I cut all that out and just ran an air hose from the manifold back to the tank, bypassed the sliders, etc.

The tank is the second thing. In addition to more meat behind airing up tires and running tools, you can shut the truck off, and still have air available. So later on at camp you can top off a bike tire, fill a football, blow dust out of a radio, etc. You're not going to fill a tire from it, but having a little air around can be handy.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
The air tank also acts as a buffer for the compressor. You'll be able to fill tires much faster with it, maybe twice as fast.

The air tank also acts as a buffer for the compressor. You'll be able to fill tires much faster with it, maybe twice as fast.

I still don't get that, and personally think it's a myth.

I run 37's and a big Viair. The 37's will drain the tank almost immediately, then essentially, you're running air straight through the tank to the tire, everything having the same pressure when all hooked up. so why bother with a tank? At best, your tank is big enough to hold higher pressure, then you're pumping air into a 75 PSI tank when it would be easier on the compressor to pump air straight into a 30 PSI tire. :confused: I don't carry air tools because I think that's just silly and adds weight. A 4-way is much lighter and honeslty, how long does it take to spin off 6 lug nuts???

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Matt, this is a cool project. My $.03 are.

keep it as simple as possible.

Having that compressor will result in at least 2 other people wanting to air up their tires too at the end of the trail.

Cheep 12v compressor may be slow but not any slower that airing up 3 trucks worth of tires.

rover67

Rising Sun Member

Having that compressor will result in at least 2 other people wanting to air up their tires too at the end of the trail.

Cheep 12v compressor may be slow but not any slower that airing up 3 trucks worth of tires.

Farnham has a point...... I still leave the parking lot at the same time everybody else does.... and I get to burn more gas.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Farnham has a point...... I still leave the parking lot at the same time everybody else does.... and I get to burn more gas.

What's the duty cycle on these types of compressors? I ask because Matt and I almost smoked my York in the 40 filling up tires a few years back on the BOWAGWR. Actually, the York did start smoking and I thought was a goner :eek: - But after it cooled down it started working again. I checked the oil level/condition afterward and it was fine :confused:

subzali

Hard Core 4+

Simple. Check. That's why no air tank at this time. Just trying to get from a to b.

I understand the "risk" or "cost" of having OBA installed :lmao:

If it's only myself and maybe one other person (which happens often with me it seems), then it will for sure be faster (and quieter) than those cheap 12V compressors. Plus I won't have to buy 2 or 3 so I have a spare or two sitting around for when one craps out. I'll hopefully spend this money once and not have to spend a whole lot more ($50 or more a pop) every time I turn around. And seeing as I don't have a house with an air compressor yet, it will be mucho bettero than paying money at the gas station to run their stupid compressor.

I usually am one of the last ones to leave anyway, not usually in a big hurry to get anywhere. Burning more gas, well, yeah...:eek:

What's the duty cycle on these types of compressors? I ask because Matt and I almost smoked my York in the 40 filling up tires a few years back on the BOWAGWR. Actually, the York did start smoking and I thought was a goner :eek: - But after it cooled down it started working again. I checked the oil level/condition afterward and it was fine :confused:

Your York and this Sanden should have pretty high duty cycles. The 12V ones typically don't have a very high duty cycle. Additionally, the 12V are typically more cheaply made. Treeroot lost a piston on one this past summer up at Argentine, so no more worky for that one. It could happen on one of these two (Marco lost his first York to some problems), but I think the tradeoff of cfm produced is worth it.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Yeah, i ran mine at like 2k rpm for a while once to try and fill lots of tires and it burned up. the valve plate fried. If you let them run at close to idle they run for a long time. I have used mine for sandblasting parts at home for like an hour before.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Your York and this Sanden should have pretty high duty cycles. The 12V ones typically don't have a very high duty cycle. Additionally, the 12V are typically more cheaply made. Treeroot lost a piston on one this past summer up at Argentine, so no more worky for that one. It could happen on one of these two (Marco lost his first York to some problems), but I think the tradeoff of cfm produced is worth it.

That was my thought given what their "normal" use is/was which is why I was surprised that day when my York seemed to seize up. I'm just not sure I'd want to be the go to guy for air for everyone after a run though :eek: - 1-2 trucks no problem...

Although to be honest, that day I was playing a lot with my ARB lockers...Who knows how long the compressor was running in total. One thing from that trip that I realized is that it would really be nice to have a PSI gauge in the cab to keep an eye on it...There's one under the hood but that is hard to see while wheeling :hill:

For reference I've also got a Viar I bought years ago for use in the LX. Usually took about 15 mins to air up 4 285s from say 15 PSI to 38 PSI. A couple times another person borrowed it after me to fill up as well so figure 30 mins pretty much contantly on. It got hot, but never quit. In fact my only complaint about the unit is the heat and figuring out a good spot to put it to cool down on the trip home.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Yeah I remember that day your York locked up - still not sure what the deal was there. Did you ever tear into it to figure it out? Which reminds me - another year has gone by, we gotta tear into your Weber one of these days...;)

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Yeah I remember that day your York locked up - still not sure what the deal was there. Did you ever tear into it to figure it out?

I didn't take it apart...I checked the oil level which was fine and the oil appeared to be in good condition. So, I fired it up and it seems to be working fine so :confused: - My guess is that it just ran for too long on the trail and then when filling up tires and decided to protest :hill: - I do need to verify that the pressure switch is working because with the tank, it shouldn't have to run for very long to either fill the tank or for the ARB's. You can't hear it running while driving on the trail and when it cycles it isn't really that noticeable either...A gauge in the cabin would help keep an eye on it.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
A gauge inside is a very nice thing to have! I know you're trying to keep it simple Matt, but you're already going to have a manifold right for your pressure switch? Running a line inside the cab to a gauge isn't that tough, and can be useful.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Only going to need air when filling tires, and I won't have a tank for now so there should be no pressure in the system to speak of. KISS for now.