• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Bourbon Confessions

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Just head over to Marco's garage - that's a great place to start. :lmao:

I'm sure lots of folks will have opinions, but for me I think the lower proof, wheated bourbons are a good place to get started. They tend to be a bit more balanced and sweeter than something that is higher in rye. I really like the Weller Special Reserve - it's under $25 and has a nice sweetness to it. Larceny is another good one. Maker Mark also fits into the wheated category.

Then you can try and compare it to something with a bit higher rye. I really like Elijah Craig at around $30, and the Eagle Rare 10 is a nice balanced bourbon with rye adding a bit of spiciness. Basil Hayden's was also mentioned earlier and is a really tasty choice for a few more $$.

And if you want to try a bunch, then check out the airplane bottle section and buy a few for $2-3 a piece. You can get Larceny, Makers, Knob Creek (also really good) and a few others that you can compare against each other.

Thanks Matt. :thumb:

Blindranger

Hard Core 4+
Blanton's was my bourbon of choice until I discovered that that Buffalo Trace was just as smooth at a much better price.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
My fav is the Weller 12yr, but can't find it anywhere any more. It's basically the Pappy that doesn't make the pappy cut. Same recipe from my understanding and its super yummy, not expensive. Don't confuse it with the 90 proof Reserve mentioned above. Same maker, nowhere near the same oh-so-smoothness :)

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
5b5f5c866a1038f193235191ca83464c.jpg

The 90 proof reserve is on the far left. My fav everyday is the Weller 12 year next to it. Around $30 the last time I found it! Lemme know if anyone sees it in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Impressive Paul - nice stash. I'll have to assemble my collection for a nice group photo.

I haven't seen the Weller 12 year anywhere, but I did score a bottle of the Weller Antique 107 the other week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 261

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
That pic was a while ago. Got some other tasty ones up there now! Haven't found the 12 year Weller for MONTHS! I'm sure I'll get a few more for my birthday next month. My wife always gets me a couple nice bottles for bday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got plenty of the Knob in my cabinet.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I enjoyed a bit of the barrel proof last night. Drinks like a 100 proof, but at 132.2 it'll creep up on your head.

Attachments

• stagg.jpg
    stagg.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 219

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
This Bourbon doesn't give a clue about its aging on the label, but very nice flavor with only a mild bite.
7cfffd32e6fe22596e904909e996cd66.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Yes I put it on the rocks, but the bourbon usually doesn't last long enough to get watered down! ;)

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
By law, a straight bourbon must age a minimum of two years to earn the label "straight"...meaning the youngest barrel in the blend must be aged at least two years.

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
My wife's throwing me a whiskey bday party today, so I should be back up to my stash standards ;)

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
By law, a straight bourbon must age a minimum of two years to earn the label "straight"...meaning the youngest barrel in the blend must be aged at least two years.

Not many of them aged less than 8 years find themselves neat in my glass ;)

Angel's Envy claims 6 years. It was decent.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
3fa69435e2de95b75c067745cb32e98d.jpg
This one truly is a confession, since I would probably catch hell from my boys back in Ky for drinking a bourbon out of Illinois. Overpriced due to the smaller size of the distillery and the short age, I really like the favors coming out of this rye-side bourbon. You don't get the burn on the nose but you get a little on the tail end which I actually like from a bourbon. Interesting favors from this one that make it a little less boring!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yeah happy birthday, Squishy.

And cheers, everyone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 257
One that I've been out of for way too long is Feisty Spirits Blue Corn Bourbon. It's made up north in Fort Collins and puts a nice twist on the standard bourbons.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
I've shared bourbons with a lot you around the campfire, but I suspect there are some other folks in the club that enjoy a good Kentucky spirit. Whatcha got at home? What are you enjoying right now? Who's making white dog? ;)

I seem to remember you enjoying a bit of it that night:hill::thumb::cheers:

MB.jpg

:beer::beer: