• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

40th Anniversary salvage rebuild

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Sometimes you have to go a few steps back to get a few more ahead. Its finally time to get this thing painted all the same color. So, I pulled the parts in preparation for body work and paint. It was pretty painless taking everything apart with the exception of one broken flare nut. Does anyone have a part # for those? Also, what does one recommend I do about my inoperable antenna while I'm here?

317226239_692241829184323_7907275618759291513_n.jpg

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Also, what does one recommend I do about my inoperable antenna while I'm here?

I have an inop electric antenna on my daughter's 2000 4Runner. I'm very tempted to yank it and replace with a solid mast antenna from a 2002 Tacoma. $65 (dealer price) for the base assembly and $40 (or junkyard) for the mast. I assume a Taco antenna would fit an FZJ80 pretty well.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
I put in a new motor from Toyota it was probably 8 years ago but the motor from the dealer wasn’t too expensive
I think that might be what's wrong with mine. The antenna itself is in good condition, but it doesn't respond to the switch or when the radio powers off.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Another option is the manual antenna that Cruiser Outfitters offers:

1669655515863.png

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
I think that might be what's wrong with mine. The antenna itself is in good condition, but it doesn't respond to the switch or when the radio powers off.
factory or aftermarket radio? if aftermarket, check the harness first. it may have been modified/lengthened to remove the external amp. the power for the antenna needs to be picked up seperate from where most harnesses label it.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
factory or aftermarket radio? if aftermarket, check the harness first. it may have been modified/lengthened to remove the external amp. the power for the antenna needs to be picked up seperate from where most harnesses label it.
It's all factory and I don't think anyone has messed with it since it was new.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
thats good then. definitely helps eliminate wiring variables. :beer:

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
It's been a little over a year since I purchased the 80 and I've reached a new milestone in the project, new paint. I found an extra hood and pulled my fender, valance, and cowl so they could be patched and prepped for paint before I brought the truck in for blending. A big thanks to @Boulder Cruiser for doing the work, I am very pleased with how it turned out.
13029225-51FD-4E04-8568-FABBF22B6F29.jpeg
CB2B4946-715E-48DA-AFAE-687B7E31AF40.jpeg
AA4EF926-D317-4A38-9BEB-43EB7132C6E7.jpeg

Attachments

• 52502553-152A-4175-8039-61CC33E9FA41.jpeg
    52502553-152A-4175-8039-61CC33E9FA41.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 70

shellb

Hard Core 4+
That looks awesome...so glad you saved this one!

Just to confirm...Boulder Cruiser did the paint work?

I was going to ask for a paint guy recommendation!

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
That looks awesome...so glad you saved this one!

Just to confirm...Boulder Cruiser did the paint work?

I was going to ask for a paint guy recommendation!
He did indeed.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Build Update! The 80 has been performing as expected with only minor issues. The windshield wiper motor somehow came unbolted in the middle of a snowstorm; but I was fortunate to be able to get it bolted back up on the side of the road. There are a couple of maintenance items that need addressed, the power steering pump seals and valve cover gasket. Aside from that all is well and Ill get the parts ordered here shortly.
We have also been using it for what we bought it for camping and wheeling, which we admittedly have not had enough of. Regardless, here are some photos from the last few months.
IMG_3698.jpeg

IMG_4410.jpeg
IMG_4345.jpeg
IMG_4350.jpeg

Last edited:

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
It doesn't feel like it's been more than 6 months since I last posted, but it has. I've been tinkering with the 80 here and there so I should give an update. I've made a few changes cosmetically which started off with trading bumpers with @shellb who had what appears to be a TJM that came on a rig he recently picked up. I also treated myself for passing my last Architects Registration Exam with a set of quad headlights. I sourced these from Japan and they came very quickly to my surprise. I had to create some pigtail harness to do the swap, but it was an enjoyable day swapping them out.

My son is finally getting old enough to help out, which makes working on this thing even more fun and the TJM makes a great platform for him to stand on, which he is thrilled about. I also removed the RTT and roof rack in preparation for the new Go-Fast Camper RTT that I picked up, I couldn't be more excited! However, I couldn't bring myself to spend $500 on the 80 series mounts so I built my own using Send Cut Send to cut and bend them and my backyard mastery to weld and paint them. They turned out great and were less than 1/5 of what GFC charges. I will install the RTT once it starts to warm up a bit more and we are ready to get out camping again, until then I'm running it slick top.

On the mechanical side of things, I ordered the parts to swap the valve cover gasket and rebuild the power steering pump. I still haven't gotten to that yet, but I did order and install a new fan shroud and changed the oil. On that note, the 80 has also reached a milestone, its been 10k miles since I purchased it wrecked at the insurance auction. It sure has turned out to be a great one.
IMG_6821.JPG

XGGJ2293.JPG

IMG_6822.JPG

IMG_6964.JPG

Last edited:

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Those quad headlights look soooo cool. Mind sharing some details where you purchased them?

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I would also like to know where you ordered those headlights. They're slick.