• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

40th Anniversary salvage rebuild

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Thanks, Nic. the diagram pretty much proved what I assumed. Instead of testing out the relay I jumped the harness to see if I could get it to engage without it. That didn't work so I am now under the assumption that it is the actuator that is bad. So ill add dropping the TC and taking that apart to the to do list.

On another note, I was thinking about the response from @simps80 about the crack in his y-pipe that causes p0401 to come up for him. I decided to inspect the exhaust where someone had attempted a repair and found a spot where they didn't complete the weld around the pipe and sure enough it was leaking. I pulled out the welder and filled in the gap started it up and it doesn't appear to be leaking anymore. Since then, I have put about 25 miles on it without the check engine light coming on. Here's to hoping that solved that issue.
InkedIMG_2544_LI.jpg

simps80

Rising Sun Member
P0401 really shouldn’t be an exhaust leak downstream but there is enough anecdotal evidence it can be.

I hope it fixes it for you

I chased this p0401 on mine forever and really only thing left is this y pipe leak I know I have

I will eventually take this truck out of service and fix it for real but just haven’t yet

Interested to see if yours stays gone

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Well, the exhaust repair did not eliminate my P0401. I receive the EGR solenoid in the mail so I will hook that up and see if that solves the issue.
On another note, the Colorado all Green plates are coming back, and I would like to get a set. Unfortunately, the state requires a vanity plate to get the green plates

1654277751710.png

so, let's talk about what I should get for vanity plates since they are required. Here is what I was thinking.
FZJ-80
LND CRSR
LANDCRUISER
LAND-CRUISER
HZJ-85
3X-LOCKED

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
40TH-80

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
I’m still working out all the kinks slowly but surely. The VSV came in so I switched that out which has solved my p0401 problem. I also spent some more time diagnosing my center diff lock issue and was able to get it freed up. I don’t know if it was the switch I installed or if it broke free from putting it in low and driving back and forth. Either way it works now, so I am happy.

Since those problems were solved I decided to take it to get the emission test done. I half expected it to fail as the carfax revealed it failed and then passed last year. As a recap I’ve done plugs, wires, cap and an oil change. I also drove 30 minutes in 85 degree weather, had a fresh tank of 91 and idled it at 1500rpm while I waited for 10 minutes. As you can see I tested high for CO.

Ive posted in a different thread about what might reduce my CO and theorize it may be O2 sensors or that I need to add heet.
D2E9589C-8E46-4212-8388-15F90364ACBD.jpeg

Attachments

• 8985AFA3-D631-4AB2-A2BA-83F89A7625BA.jpeg
    8985AFA3-D631-4AB2-A2BA-83F89A7625BA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:

J1000

Rising Sun Member
On an engine like the 1FZ using 91 might make your emissions worse than otherwise because the engine is low compression and low performance. You might actually have a significant amount of unburnt fuel because of that. Run 85 and send it.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Last time I nicely asked since they were soooo busy for an obd2 only and they obliged

Might be another strategy
Super busy times like end of month after 4
Then run to the dmv and get 5 year collector plates is my next plan since it’s 25 years old

I haven’t tried 5 year plates yet cause this is first year of being 25 for the old girl
But next time I am going to try both the above

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
I will probably do the 2 bottles of Heet and a timing job then hop in line and ask for obd2.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Last time I nicely asked since they were soooo busy for an obd2 only and they obliged

Might be another strategy
Super busy times like end of month after 4
Then run to the dmv and get 5 year collector plates is my next plan since it’s 25 years old

I haven’t tried 5 year plates yet cause this is first year of being 25 for the old girl
But next time I am going to try both the above
I don't think they are eligible for 5 years plates until they are 32 years old, unless it was registered to you prior to 2009. Per paragraph C of this article.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Ooh I am doing it
Owned this since 2008
Sorry about your luck

You should still go busy time and ask for odb2 see what happens

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Ooh I am doing it
Owned this since 2008
Sorry about your luck

You should still go busy time and ask for odb2 see what happens
You lucky duck! I can't wait to see yours with collector plates, there can't be that many out there!

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
When I got 5 year plates on the C10, they never noted the mileage so I wonder how they are really enforcing the 4500 miles/year rule? It’s like there are conflicting guidelines because the age of the vehicle also makes it exempt on the mileage recording requirement for other documentation purposes. My title says “EXEMPT” on the mileage section. Gotta love where laws are implemented but not thought all the way through.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
When I got 5 year plates on the C10, they never noted the mileage so I wonder how they are really enforcing the 4500 miles/year rule? It’s like there are conflicting guidelines because the age of the vehicle also makes it exempt on the mileage recording requirement for other documentation purposes. My title says “EXEMPT” on the mileage section. Gotta love where laws are implemented but not thought all the way through.
I don't see a way for them to enforce it either. All of my past collector vehicles were mileage exempt on the title as well including the Stout. The only time I ever came close to that number was when I was daily driving our 1963 Fairlane.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Having felt like I've worked out most of the little issues of the project we decided to bolt up the tent and take the 80 series for its first camping trip. We chose Johnny Park Trail as I had been interested in it since coming across it this past winter. It turned out to be a really great trip which the whole family enjoyed. There were no issues with the 80 and it traversed the moderately difficult trail with ease as one would expect.
I finally understand why people both love and hate this chassis. Its great offroad and fit us and our stuff with ease but boy is it slow. It met all of my expectations and really cemented a shared love for the vehicle during our camping trip.
IMG_2639.jpg
IMG_2649.jpg
View recent photos.png

Being the first trip out with the tent mounted to this vehicle I realize I need to find a better way to mount the tent to the roof. there is just too much deflection in the cross bars to support the tent safely. It looks like I'll be ordering some Gamiviti stuff very soon.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
It is a straight mountain goat off road
Even my keep buddies who follow me on trails marvel at how it does stuff with the truck staying level

Congratulations on saving it and giving it a new lease on life to be enjoyed by you and your family!!

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
After failing the last emission test i suspected that one of the 02 sensors was bad. I was able to read the voltage of both sensors with my ultragauge and the rear one certainly didn't seem to be reading right. I decided to replace both anyways and had them replaced with no issues. After replacing them the sensors were reading what I deemed satisfactory, so I filled up the tank with a mixture of 87/91 and went to get it tested. Fortunately for me it passed, an so it was determined to be the 02 sensor that was bad and causing me to fail. I find it strange that it didn't trigger a trouble code. Either way I am glad that it finally passed. I then went to the dmv to register it and place my order for the vanity plates. As one would imagine Land Cruiser, LndCrsr, and FZJ80 were taken so I requested 3x lckd as they said it was still available. After waiting a week the plate arrived in the mail and I am thrilled.

IMG_2738.jpg

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
We have put 3000 miles on the truck since purchasing it and it's been great fun and trouble free since changing the o2 sensors. Most of that has been driving around our state with my wife and son camping and enjoying time together. Of course, I enjoy it so much that I find myself driving it to work a couple days a week. Here are some photos from the last couple months.
IMG_2893.JPG
IMG_8177.JPG
IMG_2913.jpg
IMG_2897.jpg