• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

2024 Tacoma - What do you think?

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I test drove a 2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road today. I wanted to determine if the non Hybrid is sufficient. I was very pleased with the power and performance. Drove I-25 to 470 and back to the dealership. More power is always better, but the non Hybrid is very capable and less things to go wrong or rather simpler. The storage under the back seat is small, but more than what the pictures made it look like. You could fit recovery gear, first aid kit and a small tool bag I think.

Bonni enjoyed riding in it as well which was a requirement since she won't ride in the Z4.

The only downsides to me where the strap that holds the rear seat up while working with the storage and the spare tire is a temporary one which won't work for off road in my view. Discussion on line says you can't fit a larger spare without making some modifications like. On the strap for the seat. It is a snap which pulls on the back material and I can see ripping if used often. I Doubt I would use the strap so that isn't a concern for me, just the spare tire

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Evaluating capabilities and options.

Interesting that the non Hybrid 2024 Tacoma has more horsepower, similar torque and the same towing capacity as the 100 series Land Cruiser

200 series 381 HP 401 Tq

2024 Tacoma
non Hybrid 278 HP, 317 Tq
Hybrid 326HP 465 tq"

100 series 235 HP 320 tq

Keeping the 200 series. This exercise has shown me the value of the 200 over the LC 250. TheGX550 would be similar (less horsepower, more torque). Since I already updated the head unit with a Tesla Android, it feels modern to me :) Plus it is fully built out and hasn't crossed 100K miles yet. It has less miles now then my 80 and 100 series had when I bought them.

Now to keep the Z4 or get a Tacoma. Like the Z4, but it has little utility and Bonni won't ride in it. Really liked the Tacoma after driving it today. Bonni commented how smooth it was. The coil upgrade in the rear is a big improvement for ride comfort.

A 200 series and a Z4 or a 200 series and a Taco. A Taco that is like the 250 with a truck body and all the latest tech.

Hmmmm
80% leaning towards the Taco. I would drive it a lot more than I can the Z4 for one thing. Plus having a 2nd wheeling or tow rig should the 200 break down (NEVER). Engineers like back up systems :)

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I reserved a 2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad in Bronze Oxide. That is a real popular color with not a lot of supply in the Premium trim I wanted.

It has a build date of 5/29 with an estimated delivery of July 5th. The Dealer who got it for me is in Roswell, so looks like a road trip. They were able to change one of their allocation (hard to do) after my missing one they had. The notified me right away and that is great customer service. No upcharge from the dealer. One dealer offered me one with an extra $5K upcharge and I passed.

I drove a non Hybrid Offroad and decided that was more than enough power for me. I really liked the way it handled. Even Bonni was happy with it. I wanted to make sure there would be no regrets.

Yes I will be keeping the 200 as my primary wheeling and towing rig, but you may see me on the trail with this one day to see how it does.

No, I shouldn't have bought a Tundra. Looked one over and too big and bulky for me. Although lots of good deals on Tundra's right now if that is the right vehicle for you.

1711253575300.png

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Looking forward to the Tacoma. I sold the 40 on BAT today and will also be selling the Z4 to pay for it. Toyed with keeping the Z4, but being retired I don't drive much. I bought the Z4 for the 30 mile drive to work every day. So it was keep the Z4 or get a Tacoma in my mind. I am pretty excited from all I read about the Tacoma, reviews I saw on line and from my test drive of an Off Road here.

I feel bad I won't miss the 40 after all I put into it to make it just right. I will miss the Z4 on sunny warm days though.

Having a Tacoma Off Road and 200 I think will be a lot of fun for a retired guy

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Congrats on selling the 40 and picking this up!

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I let the one I reserved go because I found a much better deal. I was very nervous about it as it seemed to good to be true and was worried it was a scam

There is a broker who works with Toyota Dealers across the country and gets way below MSRP. He charges $1000 for his services and then the Toyota dealer takes off $3.7K (on the Tacoma). so effectively I am getting $2.7K below MSRP. There are no Dealer add on's which most dealers add for profit. So it is effectively $4K cheaper for this 2024 Bronze Oxide ORD Premium Package.

I found 5 years worth of positive reviews for this broker handling all kinds of Toyotas

He posted on another Forum he had what I was looking for on the west side of the country so I texted with him for a bit, then paid my fee.

Today, the Toyota Dealer in Idaho reached out and we signed the deal for $3700 below MSRP. Only difference is the Dealer wants a non refundable deposit since they are making a deal.

I called the Toyota dealer through thee number on their web site to make sure it was a real deal to talk to my Sales associate.

Build date is June 10th which is 10 days later than the one in New Mexico, but saved me $4000

Someone asked him about LC 250's and he said he won't be able to get deals on those until late summer and maybe later than that.

Here is the thread he posted in. He advertises $2700 off the Tacoma which is the Toyota dealers discount of $3700 less his fee of $1000

https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/thre...eals-on-2024-tacomas-💵-purchase-leasing.2039/

So now I have a non refundable deposit on one and saved $4000 which is the $2700 MSRP savings plus no dealer installed options

Still a bit nervous. His 5 years of positive reviews and the fact I verified the Toyota dealer before I gave them a deposit was enough for me to move forward

I will let you know how it goes

maxpowerzz

Trail Ready
I let the one I reserved go because I found a much better deal. I was very nervous about it as it seemed to good to be true and was worried it was a scam

There is a broker who works with Toyota Dealers across the country and gets way below MSRP. He charges $1000 for his services and then the Toyota dealer takes off $3.7K (on the Tacoma). so effectively I am getting $2.7K below MSRP. There are no Dealer add on's which most dealers add for profit. So it is effectively $4K cheaper for this 2024 Bronze Oxide ORD Premium Package.

I found 5 years worth of positive reviews for this broker handling all kinds of Toyotas

He posted on another Forum he had what I was looking for on the west side of the country so I texted with him for a bit, then paid my fee.

Today, the Toyota Dealer in Idaho reached out and we signed the deal for $3700 below MSRP. Only difference is the Dealer wants a non refundable deposit since they are making a deal.

I called the Toyota dealer through thee number on their web site to make sure it was a real deal to talk to my Sales associate.

Build date is June 10th which is 10 days later than the one in New Mexico, but saved me $4000

Someone asked him about LC 250's and he said he won't be able to get deals on those until late summer and maybe later than that.

Here is the thread he posted in. He advertises $2700 off the Tacoma which is the Toyota dealers discount of $3700 less his fee of $1000

https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/threads/inventory-update-3-12-24-3000-below-msrp-deals-on-2024-tacomas-💵-purchase-leasing.2039/

So now I have a non refundable deposit on one and saved $4000 which is the $2700 MSRP savings plus no dealer installed options

Still a bit nervous. His 5 years of positive reviews and the fact I verified the Toyota dealer before I gave them a deposit was enough for me to move forward

I will let you know how it goes
Looking forward to hearing about your experience with him, sounds like a great deal. And congrats/condolences on selling your 40, it was one of the most meticulous beautiful rigs I've seen

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Good question. I wonder if it has anything to do with where they are being built.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Spent the day in one on Dome Plateau. Very nice truck, the power seemed to be there. It fit a 33” tire with no mods. Suspension was woefully under damped we seemed to spend a lot of time hitting the Bilsteins internal bump stops.

But overall a very impressive platform!

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
Spent the day in one on Dome Plateau. Very nice truck, the power seemed to be there. It fit a 33” tire with no mods. Suspension was woefully under damped we seemed to spend a lot of time hitting the Bilsteins internal bump stops.

What trim level was this?

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

These were pre-production models, right? Wonder how different the production version is.

Edit: My bad, I thought we were talking about the LC250s at Cruise Moab. :homer:

Last edited:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
These were pre-production models, right? Wonder how different the production version is.

Edit: My bad, I thought we were talking about the LC250s at Cruise Moab. :homer:

I’d wager the review would be the same anyway. Maybe even less dampened.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I think the TRD OFF Road comes with Bilstein's. Other trims have different shocks

I did see an Orange one at CM
@jps8460 was that a Hybrid or non Hybrid version you drove on Dome?

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I think the TRD OFF Road comes with Bilstein's. Other trims have different shocks

I did see an Orange one at CM
@jps8460 was that a Hybrid or non Hybrid version you drove on Dome?
It was a TRD offroad non-hybrid