1973 FJ40 build

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
That is completely independent from the flywheel. What you are referring to is the pilot bearing.

ahh, ok, that makes more sense, and I am replacing the pilot bearing with the clutch anyway. the input shaft teeth hit the clutch, not the flywheel...

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
OK, now I find out the flywheel is different for each tranny? So I have two 2f engines that had 4 speeds mounted to them, so my 3 speed tranny has a different input shaft that will not fit the 2f/4speed flywheel. So I either need to find a 4 speed tcase, put my 3 speed gears in Hatfield's 4 speed case, or buy a new flywheel...

Keep the 2F, bell housing, flywheel & clutch, 4-speed tranny all together. Get the conversion input gear to mate your 3-speed t-case to the 4-speed tranny and you are set. :cool:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
OK, now I find out the flywheel is different for each tranny? So I have two 2f engines that had 4 speeds mounted to them, so my 3 speed tranny has a different input shaft that will not fit the 2f/4speed flywheel. So I either need to find a 4 speed tcase, put my 3 speed gears in Hatfield's 4 speed case, or buy a new flywheel...
The input shaft of both the 3 speed and 4 speed trannies are the same, and so is the pilot bearing (crank is the same from F to 2F). AFAIK, all 4 speed flywheels are the same, but must be used with 4 speed pressure plate and friction plate. The throw out bearing, bearing retainer, fork and fork pivot needs to match the pressure plate and flywheel you're using. You can use either 3 speed or 4 speed clutch parts on the 4 speed bellhousing from personal experience, my speculation is that you could probably use them on the 3 speed bellhousing too.

The output shaft of the 3 speed and 4 speed are different (ten versus 16 splines IIRC?).

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Keep the 2F, bell housing, flywheel & clutch, 4-speed tranny all together. Get the conversion input gear to mate your 3-speed t-case to the 4-speed tranny and you are set. :cool:
In addition to the input gear, I also needed the Datsun B210 bearing for the input shaft, and had to fabricate some spacers. One spacer for the PTO gear on the inside, and another one for the space between the rear of the input shaft and where the washer/nut goes onto the rear of the tranny output shaft to snug against the bearing inside race. Neither the stock 3 speed spacer nor the stock 4 speed spacer would fit. Four of the five bolts for the 3 speed that hold the t-case to the tranny were not long enough to thread into the 4 speed tranny. The threads are recessed a half inch or so and I had to steal them off my 76 and then get new ones from Stevinson for it. Timm should have plenty of long-enough bolts from his two 4 speeds though.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
It's a date. Zepp, Subzali, and Ricardo (theboomboom??) will all be helping this Sunday to drop the 2f from Uglibus into my 40. Yay! :) Thanks SO much for the help guys. Anyone else who wants to drop by to watch, heckle, drink beer, eat pizza, call Ricardo a 'candy ass', or steal an F engine block from my alley, please feel free to come! PM me for directions in South Denver near DU. You can also take a look at the ultra rare 1968 Aerodynamic FJ40!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks again to all for their help, parts, patience, advice, etc. I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate it.

T

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Timm,

If I wasn't going to be on a plane to Indianapolis I'd be there. Sounds like you've got some good help. :D

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Word. Reckon I'm gonna enjoy this! I'm gonna bring over some wheel cylinders too, maybe we can unfreeze a couple :D

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Word. Reckon I'm gonna enjoy this! I'm gonna bring over some wheel cylinders too, maybe we can unfreeze a couple :D

O-A torch. I don't think Timm has one but it can work. Obviously, the o-rings will be shot after the torch treatment, but you were going to rebuild them anyway, right?

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Going through my stuff and I thought I had decent rear motor mounts,
bolts, washers and cotter pins....and now I don't think I do. I know we broke one of the bolts from the 55 when we took it out. Anyone happen to have anything I could use tomorrow???? Thanks...

:beer::beer::beer:

T

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Heh. After scrounging up hardware and motor mount and assorted trial and tribulations, we posed for a group shot...Landing the Big One :)

Attachments

• IMGP1020640x480.jpg
    IMGP1020640x480.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 176

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
uh...isn't it supposed to be IN the cruiser?:confused:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
It was about 15 minutes later :D. That was a lot of fun guys! Kinda too bad we had to go back to the 3spd tranny/tcase for now, but like you said Timm, getting the engine in is huge in order to get the thing on the road!

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
The engine is in. This one went in a whole lot smoother than it was coming out of the piggie. Echoing what Matt said, it was bunch of fun working with you guys yesterday afternoon. I'll see about getting some pictures posted up this evening. Now that the engine is in, Timm is one step closer to getting his FJ40 on the road.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Other than the gearing and possible 3-on-the-tree shifter. :rolleyes:

The tranny and tcase were original to this 40.

THANKS THANKS THANKS!!! you guys ROCK!

:risingsun:

Cannot tell you how much I appreciate alllll the help! Ty had a great time riding his trike around the garage with the "big guys". He was sad when you all left. :) Thanks a million, cannot wait to get the Baby Blue Beast out of the garage...

T

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Here is a link to the pictures from my camera yesterday. Jeff, Matt, Timm and Rick - it was great working with you guys.