1973 FJ40 build

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Howdy all. As most of you know, with Mike and Ige's help I was able to wrestle Oleg's 73 FJ40 out of the mud and into my garage. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=3268
As you can see in my sig, she has no engine, but I did get rid of the mouse poop over the weekend. :) After asking around and talking to a few people here and on Mud, I decided to get her on the road (or off-road) as soon as possible and worry about doing a complete restoration until later. Take a look at pics of the truck and the load of parts I got from Oleg: http://www.timmandstacy.com/1973FJ40/index.html

Right now I think I am missing the following to get her up and running.
-engine/tranny/tcase: think I am getting a 2f/4spd/split t-case from Mike
-gas tank plus associated parts
-leaf springs (at least the front!) http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=142726&highlight="wtf+day"
-battery
-brake booster (I think everything else is there...) will probably need to tune the drums...anything else?
-no idea on radiator, looks ok, how can I test?
-steering looks ok
-windshield will need replaced eventually, will they look at that before I get it licensed?
-seats both frames look ok, ps needs recovering, ds needs new foam and recovering
-headlights
-backseat and rollbar if I want my son to ride and if I want to go topless
-driveshafts: prob find one in Mike's back yard. :)
-tires: might have a deal to grab some temp. tires and wheels. would like to put my 33" MTR's from my 80 on there, so I guess I would need 16inch rims.

Anything else obvious I am missing? My initial idea to start was to ask where I should begin, but looking at this list, I have plenty to do...the $700 for new leafs from Skyjacker and buying the engine will be the top priority, but realistically at least a few weeks away, so I guess I can start on the small things. All feedback is greatly appreciated, and if you have any parts, let me know!! Thanks for all the help and info everyone!

Timm

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Thought I would mention my long-term goals for this truck. For now it will be an occasional daily driver, especially with the top down on nice sunny days, and a mild off-roader. The locked 80 gets me everywhere I need to go now offroad, and safer with the boy. The 40 will be for when I am up in the mountains by myself.

oh, and I already have a case of PB blaster! :)

T

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
you have a good solid foundation to work from. I have the engine/trans/transfer and probably the driveshafts for you. I have an extra 73 style hard top if you wanted to replace the side that is damaged. I might have the handle and some other random stuff for you as well. I do have a set of seats that are in my way if you wanted to swap out the ones you have. I may even be able to get you 4 tires that hold air.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
dang...totally spaced when you were here...i've got that gas tank you can have. like i said, you may want ot get it boiled and coated, or get the coating and do it yourself.

i got some crappy old headlights that i took out of my 40 that you can have if you don't have the $ to front for lights for now. that way you can use your cashola for the other items.

dont' worry about your windshield for now...they won't reject your registration for it, if that's what you're worried about.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I've got four tires and rims that I want to get rid of...they are very low on tread but still hold air, and one of them has a pretty bad bent rim...but I did Slaughterhouse, Castle Gulch and Crystal Mtn. with them plus a lot of other driving plus the PO driving before I got it. If you want them they're yours, I just want them gone. They'll work to at least get the thing rolling around. 32x11.50 on 15x8 black spoke rims (barely over 31" tall).

-Check that all brake cylinders are not frozen - if so, loosen or replace accordingly (I got mine to all work loose).
-Invest in some stainless steel braided brake hoses if yours are old and crusty.

Peace of cake, and good luck! :thumb: Sounds like a fun project, if it were me I would do like what it sounds you're going to do and get it running and tweak it here and there later. Yay a new Cruiser! :D

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I too have some headlights you can have. They were functioning on my 40 until about 2 weeks ago.

Why buy new skyjackers? There are stock leafs growing wild in Mike's backyard.. and other places as well. seems that $700 would be better spent elsewhere, today. just a thought. :)

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Thanks for all the advice and help and offers everyone, I really appreciate it! I guess for now I will work on making sure the brakes and electrical are all there and working while I decide what to do about the leafs and wait on the engine. Any idea where I can find a brake booster? Are they very year-specific? (ie if I find a '74 or '72 on Mud would it work ok?) I also need to go order the manuals. Exciting to finally get my hands dirty! Thanks again everyone, I hope I can contribute half as much as you all are helping me.

T

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Right now I think I am missing the following to get her up and running.
-engine/tranny/tcase: think I am getting a 2f/4spd/split t-case from Mike

Fun stuff!

You know you won't have an e-brake with a split case unless you put a "kit" on it. Might be MAF or SOR that sells it, I can't remember. I've got a 4-speed case and if you find a 3-speed transfer case you could put the guts into the 4-speed case. Then you'd be able to install the e-brake backing plate and drum. PM me if you're interested.

You might try to find a '76 or later axle for the front, or the right parts, and convert to disc brakes. I've got a few booster/master combinations and would be happy to give you one. Others may argue you don't need to do this, but when you get to the point of replacing and/or rebuilding wheel cylinders you might as well. I've also got some old e-brake cables, a backing plate with shoes attached and speedo cables and other junk lying around, when you're ready.

Last edited:

wesintl

RS Moderator
I would start with the engine and work out. There are quite a few little things that you could buy now but be affected by what you drop in and once you know your way around a 40 a little more you may want to do something different.

I wouldn't do anything but cleaning and paint the axles etc. until you get the engine tranny/xfer in. Plus alot of little things you buy add up and push out the engine buy and install.

-I would clean and paint what undercarriage that you can get to easily.
-Put the engine tranny and xfer in.
-get DS installed
-work on the brakes at that time, which may also allow disk brake upgrade depending on how much you need to put into the drums to get them working. Pull and save usually has a mini you can pull the knucles out for cheap. A 70-75 booster will work on drums. After that they are for disk brakes but they are somewhat interchangeable depending on what master you use and readily availabe from other model toyotas.
- Then I would tend to installing glass etc. and buying what items that weren't given to you like headlights, getting good tires etc.

Thats just MHO and :twocents: :twocents:

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I would start with the engine and work out. There are quite a few little things that you could buy now but be affected by what you drop in and once you know your way around a 40 a little more you may want to do something different.

I wouldn't do anything but cleaning and paint the axles etc. until you get the engine tranny/xfer in. Plus alot of little things you buy add up and push out the engine buy and install.

-I would clean and paint what undercarriage that you can get to easily.
-Put the engine tranny and xfer in.
-get DS installed
-work on the brakes at that time, which may also allow disk brake upgrade depending on how much you need to put into the drums to get them working. Pull and save usually has a mini you can pull the knucles out for cheap. A 70-75 booster will work on drums. After that they are for disk brakes but they are somewhat interchangeable depending on what master you use and readily availabe from other model toyotas.
- Then I would tend to installing glass etc. and buying what items that weren't given to you like headlights, getting good tires etc.

Thats just MHO and :twocents: :twocents:

What works best for cleaning and painting the undercarriage and axles, etc?

Get DS installed?

:)

T

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
from looking at a 71 FSM, it looks like I have the reservoir tanks for the booster, but no booster or master cylinder....or is it a tandem MC? Anyone who looked at my pictures agree or disagree? :) I have SOOO much to learn...

T

wesintl

RS Moderator
from looking at a 71 FSM, it looks like I have the reservoir tanks for the booster, but no booster or master cylinder....or is it a tandem MC? Anyone who looked at my pictures agree or disagree? :) I have SOOO much to learn...

T

above the steering column you have a blank spot and 4 holes to which a booster mounts, the master then mounts to the booster. See SOR diagram...
http://www.sor.com/sor/cat014.tam?xax=7542&page.ctx=cat014.tam

You could clean up the frame with a wire wheel and paint it with POR, Zero rust, or rust oleum. Stuff like that.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Tim,

Did you get my reply to your PM? Lots of stuff, I know. Dig deep in that pocket. :D

Now that I see your pics again, I notice you do have the parking brake backing plate & drum on your 3-speed t-case. Get that conversion t-case input gear and the 4-speed tranny and you'll be in business. Depending on what you get engine wise, you can run the clutch fork on either side. You're set up for DS now, but you could get the "later" model hard line and run it on the PS pretty easily.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
LOL not if you want to pass CM inspection...:D

I think Hatfield's idea was pretty good about the t-case, and Wes is right about getting the engine/tranny/transfer first because those are huge and probably will cost the most. If you can't move the truck forward you don't really need brakes anyway :rolleyes:

I don't understand the "install the DS" comment either? :confused: Driveshafts? Yeah you kinda need those to move forward too, and then you can worry about the brakes so you can stop it from moving...yeah :D

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
LOL not if you want to pass CM inspection...:D

I think Hatfield's idea was pretty good about the t-case, and Wes is right about getting the engine/tranny/transfer first because those are huge and probably will cost the most. If you can't move the truck forward you don't really need brakes anyway :rolleyes:

I don't understand the "install the DS" comment either? :confused: Driveshafts? Yeah you kinda need those to move forward too, and then you can worry about the brakes so you can stop it from moving...yeah :D

Thanks guys...yeah, the engine/tran/TC is in the works, but probably will not be available for several weeks, so there is plenty of time to mess around with other stuff...like learning where everything goes on a 40!

T

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
If you have the 3-speed case and plan to use it, you won't need the "kit" I posted. It's only if you're planning to use the later split case, like I have on my 81 FJ40. On mine, the parking brake is the two rear drums.

Actually, I think we have approved parking brake systems that involved wheel chocks. A 2x4 is weak though. You'd be better off getting a 4x4 chunk of wood and cutting it to make 4 wedges. The main purpose of the parking brake is to make sure your rig doesn't roll backwards off a cliff when your dog jumps into your rig and knocks the tranny out of gear. :O

wesintl

RS Moderator
I don't understand the "install the DS" comment either? :confused: Driveshafts?

yes, Driveshafts. Depending on if you use the stock 3 speed and 3speed xfer, later 4 speed or 4 speed and split case etc. There are a bunch of combinations you can go forth with. This affects Driveshaft length and mixing and matching flanges. Alot of $$ can be dumped into buying flanges and driveshafts, lengthening, etc. Again another reason to get the engine/tranny/xfer before you start on the little things.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
The parking brake issue will easily cause me to go slowly insane...mainly because there are 100 different opinions on Mud and I still am not 100% sure on the naming conventions of everything and unfamiliar with everything to start with. I am getting a 4 speed tranny with the split case, and I have a 3 speed tranny already with a tc. I am sure it will make more sense once I get my hands dirty. And as you can see in my pics, I do have bright orange wheel chocks! I did not think that something as simple as a parking brake could run me almost more than I paid for the truck! :) Thanks again...

T