• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

1969 FJ40 hot mess to minty fresh or..spring green fresh?

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Too bad they didn't have clear metric hose, but still one seriously fawkin' sexy rig!!!!!

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I really like the work on the rig, it is really detailed, with OEM parts, and a lot of thought into how it will perform reliably for may years to come. Breathing new life into older cars/rigs is honestly one of the most rewarding things I've done and I'm stoked to see others doing the same.

And I flat love the color.

Thansk for posting this up, its really fun to see, especially at a pace that makes it exciting (even though It took longer in real life).

wesintl

RS Moderator
ahhh. 40 goodnesss... nice work mang!

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
WOW, it is truly impressive how much is available still from Toyota. I never new they steps used to be like that, did you say it is vinyl? Seems like white wasn't toyota's best idea. I'd be afraid to step on them!

simps80

Rising Sun Member
thanks everyone, yea Drew, the vinyl wasn't the best idea imo, but it looks nice!

ok about caught up with the cross-posting from facebook, so the 'speed' of this will definitely slow down since its now almost caught up to real-time

went through the door latches, disassembled, cleaned, painted with the pewter, and hung the doors, outside bolts are again overland metric....

wanted these hung so I wouldn't scratch them up, been using the '76 as a parts storage machine.

doors1.jpg

doors2.jpg

doors3.jpg

doors4.jpg

doors5.jpg

doors6.jpg

simps80

Rising Sun Member
what i'm working on now is the getting the seats all prepped for upholstery.

so I found the belts in the garage to start with.. they were stiff and full of grease and dirt. 24 hours in simple green then 2 long cycles thorugh the dishwasher. not perfect, but better, and as good as they will get.

belts1.jpg

belts2.jpg

belts3.jpg

belts4.jpg

simps80

Rising Sun Member
prepping the jump seats, there was one repair I forgot, the rear most leg has a notch to fit aorund the "pillar" on the rear of the truck, the driver side had broken off, fixed that, then welded about 20 holes they had ran machine screws through the base of the seats to presumably 'mount' some things.. hammered and dollied the sheet back to flat, now ready for prime, then paint
will save the horsehair and old covers for now in case Mike D. wants them for the museum :D
jumps1.jpg

jumps4.jpg

jumps6.jpg

simps80

Rising Sun Member
did kinda the same thing with the front seats. disassembled 'em down to the studs, cleaned all up with the wire wheel, hammered the dents out, primed some parts, then neighbor and I drank too much and burned the old seat innards in the ol' chiminea for celebration. it was stinky and my throat still kinda hurts, but it melted a bunch of the ice and snow off the patio, so that's good.

frontseat1.jpg

frontseat2.jpg

frontseat3.jpg

frontseat4.jpg

frontseat5.jpg

arthog

Hard Core 4+
Are you going to use horse hair on the seats? I need some for my jump seats. If you order some I would like to get in on that.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
does anybody else get turned on by this photo?

Yeah, it's really rad. Reminds me I've lost the ball bearing and spring for the locking latch from my 76 and need to rig a replacement up for it.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
so about 8 days ago I picked up the $OR order from jakes and went about starting upholstery with the new coral. I got the back of 1 done in about 4 hours lol.

seats1.jpg

then had to leave town for work, figured that was that.
I got home last night and noticed the driver seat back and base were done. turns out jake and mike got that done when I was gone :thumb:

seats2.jpg

so today i put the ds seat together, mounted it.

seats3.jpg

seats4.jpg

pleased with that, I finished the 1 jump seat i started, then made some more rubber gaskets for the feet, and put that in.

seats5.jpg

seats6.jpg

The coral plus spring green is really a pleasing combo!

Last edited:

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Wow, Mike...This thread is an absolute treat to follow.

Fantastic!