1969 FJ40 hot mess to minty fresh or..spring green fresh?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
WHOA I LOVE the color!!!!!!!!!

That thing is awesome!!!! Way to go on all the cutting, fitting and welding, that's a lot of work dude.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
:( I reached the end.

I :heart: these threads.

Looks like you gotta lot of time in it so far. Looks good.

Awesome Mike.

What tools did find yourself using most and what would you have bought if you needed to do it again?

Wow...so thankful for this thread! Great job! I hope you won’t mind me asking lots of questions.

I'm very excited to see the documentation of the restoration of the rig, thanks for posting it up Mike. I don't have facebook so I haven't seen any of it so far! Can't wait to see what it looks like now but I guess i'll have to!

Mike, glad to see you're including the "one step forward, two steps back" that is more ordinary (at least for me) than I like to think with rust repair, and welding on fresh steel.

Really enjoying this thread!

Real nice work Mike

WHOA I LOVE the color!!!!!!!!!

That thing is awesome!!!! Way to go on all the cutting, fitting and welding, that's a lot of work dude.

thanks everybody!
I am excited to see the finished result
it is very nice so far

as far as tools go, man, I wish I had a good press brake and sheer. then air eniugh to run a small blast cabinet and air tools for scotchlocks and stuff instead of electric grinders for cut iff wheels and various grindinf

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Beautiful! That's going to be a really nice 40 when it's done. One of my favorite colors too! I love the older 40's. :thumb:

Cocarlisle

Hard Core 4+
Wow looks great Mike
Your work has paid off
I love the spring green !!!!

simps80

Rising Sun Member
ok so I started the reassembly with first cutting a bunch of gaskets for things.
I didn't want new painted steel on new painted steel on the outside of the truck.

these punches are meant for leather, but work great.
bought rubber sheet in bulk off amazon a long time ago. in two thicknesses.

then hung the doors with the new overland metric stainless

also found this thick squisky material with adhesive on the back for the trans tunnel, put that in with anti-seize on all the bolts

build1.jpg

build2.jpg

build3.jpg

build4.jpg

build5.jpg

build6.jpg

simps80

Rising Sun Member
these reflectors were shockingly expensive.
but one of the key differentiators of a 69 is the fender reflectors and on the rear bumper.

the red ones are availalbe from toyota still. The red ones on the rear fenders are the same as the ones on the rear bumper. the orange ones on the front fenders are NLA, so I bought 4 red ones and refurb'ed the orange ones.

also the fuel tank we got boiled out at Denver Radiator

build7.jpg

build8.jpg

build9.jpg

build10.jpg

simps80

Rising Sun Member
hung the tire carrier with new gaskets and new stainless hw

build11.jpg

build12.jpg

build13.jpg

simps80

Rising Sun Member
cleaned up the ductwork, gave it a coat, then used sime fipg and 3m adhesive to fix the oem gasket that was nice enough to re-use

duct1.jpg

duct2.jpg

duct3.jpg

simps80

Rising Sun Member
I started cleaning up the dash knobs, switches then painted the symbols/words with a white paint pen as others have done. green scotchbrite lubed up with simple green worked well. then started back together with the dash

dash1.jpg

dash2.jpg

dash3.jpg

dash4.jpg

dash5.jpg

dash6.jpg

simps80

Rising Sun Member
took a break from some of the more monotonous tasks for something a little more high impact. Steps turned out nice, think I will leave the new stainless JIS headed hardware unpainted

bought these jis headed stainless screws/nuts/washers from bel-metric, because I couldn't find JIS headed stainless screws anywhere else

also, made rubber gaskets just like for everything else for the step to body connection

note: the vinyl is cut with the squares on a 45 as per directed by treeroot. lol.

step1.jpg

step2.jpg

step3.jpg

step4.jpg

simps80

Rising Sun Member
I got another shipment of fresh OEM parts in, including new bumperettes, 2 more red reflectors, the ones on the rear qtr and rear bumper reflectors are the same..new junction blocks for the front etc. looks good. again new overland metric stainless for the bumperettes, and rear turn signal brackets etc

rear1.jpg

rear2.jpg

rear3.jpg

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Mike, are you satisfied with Gonsalvo's work on the truck?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
incredible. loving every word and picture of this, please don't stop!

simps80

Rising Sun Member
thanks guys!
Steve,
it is not Marco level of restoration, this is good driver quality, highly presentable, all solid metal, no bondo, preservation.

All oem parts where available, and where not, people like cityracer and coolerman providing NLA parts replications of super high quality...

A far cry from what we started with.

so Steve, yea I am satisfied with gonzalos work based on what we are aiming for...not perfect, but I prefer that..just so I wouldn't feel scared about driving and using it!

Last edited: