Yankee Doodle Lake work project

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Red_Chili said:
It occurs to me that the 5 gal. buckets marked in 3/4 gal. increments could be priceless. Each bag of concrete takes 3/4 gal.

"Doing the math", then, means we need 90 gallons of water. Can we pull some out of the lake?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Oh, yeah. Oh, most definitely part of the plan. Just hafta make sure no trout get cemented into the ground... :LOL:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Who's going up on Friday night? Where you camping? Anyone going up early to secure a big group site?

Oh yeah, I'm back in town..

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Bill
I have the hammer drill, generator and epoxy anchor any idea what size drill bit is needed for the winch point?
Dan

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Ok, Treeroot and I are going to meet up there tomorrow around 13:00, will get the best designated camp site we can find closest to the lake off the Rollins Pass road. We'll then ditch some gear then head to Ned to help Uncle Ben load the trailer, may be back to camp by 4 in time to run Jenny Creek at 5? You guys that come up later look for the RS banner and some trucks you recogize..

after a quick run it's :beer:, :beer2:, :cheers: :camping:

edit: Just got a call from our digger, they got 54 holes dug today, hope the get the rest punched tomorrow. Will be plenty do do come Saturday!

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Is anyone staying until Sunday? I am going to stay there Friday/Saturday for sure.

Bill/Kevin if you are awake call me on 7206359198 cell, I am curious what else has to happen tomorrow (I'll be awake from now until Friday night). I took the day off so I'll be available all day Friday. If you go to the Louisville Home Depot on Friday, look for my dad, I think he is working that day.

I am going bring the 30-50 gallon drums of water, shovel, post hole digger, 5 gallon buckets, and 2 boxes of Colorado peaches.

I don't have a CB in the pickup yet, CB channel 4 for those with 'em. Everyone is welcome to call my cell if you need anything. 7206359198. I'll try and get in touch with Bill tomorrow so I am up to speed on everything. He is running the show, not me, so he deserves all the credit for making this happen. The signal is spotty once we are on the pass but there are sections it works great. I think Bill mentioned this earlier but just in case...this project is open to all volunteers. If you are not a Rising Sun member that is not a problem. This would be a great event to start with.

Last edited:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Convert said:
Bill
I have the hammer drill, generator and epoxy anchor any idea what size drill bit is needed for the winch point?
Dan
That is kinda in flux at this point. I would like to have a 1" bolt (I think...) holding the winch point (I am all about 'hell for stout'; just weigh my 4Runner sometime). It is possible - likely - that Off Road Solutions will be making a winch anchor that uses two bolts, in which case 3/4" should be adequate. Bring an assortment. Mike is going to try to make the trip, but if that fails, Treeroot, if you could swing by Off Road Solutions in WheatRidge to pick up the winch point that would be great.

ORS' number is 303-278-6267.

Oh, and by the way Mike, this definitely ain't the Bill Show! I just need to make sure I stay outa da way of you most excellent fellers!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :cheers:
(any way to make those bowdown emoticons run out of sequence like they do in the entry screen? Kinda cool.. but I digress)

I got a call from a reporter (whose name I did not get - or I had a senior moment. I like the first explanation) from the Times-Call yesterday. Missed my train and it was well worth it. She was an excellent interviewer, and knowledgeable about the whole status of the Boulder Wagon Road/Needle's Eye Tunnel. This project has a part to play even in that scenario!

This whole project is bigger than the sum of its parts. And all the little parts are important in themselves; we get to be green and we get to be 4x4ers, all in the public eye. Of course, that is not surprising to us, but it's not what the public has come to assume about OHVers.

This may go a long way toward demonstrating to the Boulder County Commissioners that the public
1) really really wants a connecting route between Rollinsville and the Fraser Valley
2) is really committed to support work to make that route sustainable
3) said route is a tremendous educational opportunity about some of the fantastic stories and people that are our heritage in Colorado history.

Maybe they will wake up.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
nakman said:
Ok, Treeroot and I are going to meet up there tomorrow around 13:00, ...
edit: Just got a call from our digger, they got 54 holes dug today, hope the get the rest punched tomorrow. Will be plenty do do come Saturday!
54 holes!!! Holy smokes. He said he wouldn't have a hard time, and he didn't.

That gives us slack time. Useful considering it's been raining every day up there. Enough to cheer even the grumpiest project manager's countenance... MOST EXCELLENT!

The peaches are definitely mission critical...

At the risk of going wistful... doing this much work in a day is a dim echo of the work all them fellers put into the railroad 100 years ago. I really will have to do a presentation on the Denver, Northwest & Pacific RR sometime for the club. Moffat's dream made real. I even have a few little HO-scale representations of the 200-ton articulated Mallet locomotives that used to swing through Needle's Eye Tunnel and around Yankee Doodle Lake. Uncle Dave, Doc Susie Anderson... Heroic, simple people. Those who go before us. OK, OK, enuff o' dat.

I am planning on staying till Sunday. Maybe when the work is done, we can snag some carsonites and a friendly ranger and sign the eastern extension of FDR502. Rumor has it there are some mudholes forming there too...:rant:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
David Halliday Moffat, a.k.a. "Uncle Dave" to the people who worked for him:
moffat3.jpg

ptp_1903bs.jpg

ptp_1869_1903_contintlsmts.jpg

ptp_1903_snowctrollinspass2.jpg

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
i've got to go to a wedding at 1 saturday, but will be up after that in clampy. bringing gloves, shovel, post hole digger, and camping gear. if you need anything late, email me today or early tomorrow am, or call my cell 3034160362 and i'll bring it up late sat afternoon.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Well, I don't know if this works out for you, but I do need someone to pick up our winch anchor from Off Road Solutions sometime today after 1PM. Also, it will be built for 7/8" bolts, total of two bolts (anchors) needed. Convert, can you work with that for epoxy anchors?

Mike Caskey at ORS can be reached at 303-278-6267, and his shop is located in WheatRidge north of I-70 and a bit east of Wadsworth in the industrial section. Call for directions.

This is my last post, signing off! See y'all up there!!

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I called ORS...I will pick up the anchor

Maddmatt

Trail Ready
Work Camp HQ Location

OK, thanks to the wonders of modern technology, here are the official directions to the work camp HQ:
1) Go up Rollins Pass to Yankee Doodle Lake
2) Go down Jenny Creek past the mud bog
3) Look for the camp on the left.

Sounds pretty easy to me. Nakman is up there and set up.
-Matt

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Got the anchors picked up. Headed that way know

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
So whats the best way to Rollinsville these days. 93 up to Rocky and then left or I-70 to the central city parkway up to Central city and then 119 from there? Or is there a btter way. Coming from the tech center

wesintl

RS Moderator
I like going up golden gate but I don't have a supercharger. Then again if you get stuck behind a diesel it won't be much fun ;)

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Google maps gave me C-470 to I-70 to Central City and up from there.

Do you have something from Beno for me? :p:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Shark Bait said:
Google maps gave me C-470 to I-70 to Central City and up from there.

Do you have something from Beno for me? :p:

Maybe:D

Did you want me to bring those hoses for the 2F?

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Romer said:
Maybe:D

Did you want me to bring those hoses for the 2F?

Sure. That was $25, right?

We're leaving Parker between 5:30 and 6:00 AM Saturday morning.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Looks like were going to have a full trail tomorrow. As some folks from Colorado4x4.org are planning on going. Looks like they have been informed of the clean up.

I'm planning on leaving early tomorrow. See everybody up there:thumb: