Yankee Doodle Lake work project

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Red_Chili said:

Who would like to take that on? Mike, I know you mentioned transportation, feel up to it?

Heck yes!

Tahoe is on the side of I-25 though. Lightning appearantly isn't good on the computer. Will be fixed before the project....fingers crossed

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
We'd be glad to have your help, whether you're a member or not. C'mon along!

BeatDown84FJ60

Rock Stacker
Great I'll be there. I also have plenty of my own tools ranging from hand tools to shovels, pick axes and rakes so if there is anything else I can bring along to help let me know. I love doing stuff like this. There have been a lot of nice trails closed down due to people not doing stuff like this so any help I can provide to keep our access granted I'm in. Bonus points too because I've never wheeled there before either.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Bill, can you call me as soon as you know what needs to be moved to the Nederland Work Center? I have the 16' trailer and my dad has his pickup if needed.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I should also be available to help move the stuff on Friday, either with a utility trailer behind the 80, or with my back loading stuff into Treeroot or maybe Uncle Ben's trailer..

Bill just to be clear, do we need help buying stuff at Home Depot then driving it up to the work center? Or do we only need help moving stuff from the work center to the work site on Friday 8/25?

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Bill,

Would you have time to make up a simple presentation for the Yankee Doodle Work Project? I can print up some pre-work photos that we can hang up at the rally. I was thinking it would be nice to show that Rising Sun is active in the wheeling community and we could have a sign up sheet as well. It wouldn't need someone there, just a presentation we could set out.

Would you be interested in being our guest speaker at the rally? Maybe talk about the greatest work project ever and tell everyone about it.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
You mean... feed my attention deficit disorder?? As in, I don't get enuff? :D
Sure.
Roz with the Sierra Club is having 0 luck getting volunteers for the revegetation & planting project, which she is trying to get done Labor Day weekend after we safeguard the wetlands. I don't think I'd have much luck either on LD. There is a strong possibility we could slip it a week, and the Rally could be a very good opportunity to bring in volunteers from the larger community.

They only need 20 warm bodies with gloves and shovels. Sounds doable.

I'll work on that angle as well. What sorts of presentation material do you think might be needed? How large are your photos? I have the hand-drawn drawings that maybe could be enlarged, if you have the technology to do that.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I can print up to 13x19 in full color. I'll have to look and see if I have any photos that would work. All we really need is one or two pics to attract peole to the information.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Well, I am sorry I pretty much did nothing on that. I could list excuses but that's boring. On the bright side, the replanting phase of the project is already fully staffed even though it's Labor Day weekend!

Several people came up to me asking about the post-n-cable project. One fella, Don IIRC, said he will try to liberate a water trailer from his work to ease carting water for concrete mixing.

I did not order the signs, DO NOT WINCH FROM POSTS, because I have not heard back from Brian Rasmussen on whether that would be acceptable. I am 80-90% sure it would be, but do not want to spend club funds without 100% assurance. We can do those later.

On the winch anchor: though it is approved, I do not have further information on what is acceptable to the USFS in terms of design. I really need to hear from Brian with the BRD on this. I am assuming they want an expoxied anchor (anything less risks freeze damage), and I am assuming they have an engineered design - but I don't have it. I think this is important for liability reasons. So that part *may* slip, or may not. Don is bringing a hammer drill just in case. Most excellent.

At this point I do not have a headcount, but if everyone who raised their hand to volunteer shows up, plus the others who I did not know about but who are planning to show up, my major problem will be keeping everyone supplied with material. That, I am most definitely up to! :kewl:

The USFS will take care of getting posts to the Nederland work center. I plan on getting out of work noon Friday and that would put me at Nederland around 2-2:30 or so. I have a trailer that I just built that can haul materials, the USFS has several pickups, but we need someone or someones with pickups, a gooseneck perhaps, and/or trailers to haul cable, posts, concrete and tools up there.

Tools that are cool: shovels, manual posthole diggers, pikes, that sort of thing. Wheelbarrows (I have one in acceptable condition) will make transporting bags of concrete easier.

I just got an email from Brian requesting we haul up concrete, I will have to converse with him on that (a bit last-minute...).

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
From Brian Rasmussen, just this very moment:
Bill,

First of all I'm sorry for the long silence and last minute logistics.
Last week was a hectic week, lots of time in the field and not enough time planning and organizing. I am headed out to Yankee Doodle again now. But later this afternoon I will fill you in on all the things I need help with.

I will need a lot of help with the hauling materials!

It would be great if you guys can purchase (club money) and haul the concrete (Ready mix). I estimate we will need 104 -80lb bags. Cost: $4 /bag. They come on pallets of 42 bags, so we will need two pallets plus 20 bags. The pallets come wrapped in plastic which is vital due to all the rain up there. The pallets can be loaded directly on one or two of your trailers. We will need them on Saturday morning.

I will fill you in more later this afternoon.

Thank you so much,

Brian D. Rasmussen
Recreation Technician
Boulder Ranger District
Picking up and hauling the concrete is the biggest logistical hurdle I see. That would be a tad more than a ton and a half per pallet - so it looks like a couple stout trailers will be required either Friday night or bright and shiney early Saturday at Yankee Doodle.

Do I have any volunteers to pick up concrete from Home Depot and take it up to Yankee Doodle Lake?

I proposed unpalleting the concrete as a fallback, but I agree pallets will make the loading simpler from a labor perspective. It's just that 'over a ton' part that gets me.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Red_Chili said:
From Brian Rasmussen, just this very moment:

Picking up and hauling the concrete is the biggest logistical hurdle I see. That would be a tad more than a ton and a half per pallet - so it looks like a couple stout trailers will be required either Friday night or bright and shiney early Saturday at Yankee Doodle.

Do I have any volunteers to pick up concrete from Home Depot and take it up to Yankee Doodle Lake?

I will do it. Who writes the check and are they ordered?

I can haul it all in one load on Friday.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I'm planning to head up from Golden on Fri late afternoon. I don't have a trailer but if I can help shuttle some people, vehicles or small stuff that would fit in the back of a 60, let me know.

Bruce

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I will indeed. And UB, you be de man. I don't care *what* Ken says about you, you da man.

I will get either get the amount to Mary, have her cut a check, and ferry it to a HD near you (PM or email me on which one works best), or I can put it on my charge card and get reimbursed. I still have to nail down the numbers from our skidsteer guy, and confirm stuff via email with Brian Rasmussen before ordering though.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
I have a few questions. Sorry if it's been covered.

So where do we meet and at what time on Sat\Sun? I understand at a minimum each of us will need work gloves and a shovel.

If we have a good turn out of workers on Sat. How much work would you anticipate being needed on Sunday. I can only make it one day so perhaps I should just come Sunday, to make sure that day is covered?

Which news papers\TV stations have been contacted? Would you like me to contact any more. Do we have a brief paragraph of our project that we could have them post? I can't remember how many posts were setting and the names of who the other people involved are.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
JadeRunner said:
I have a few questions. Sorry if it's been covered.

So where do we meet and at what time on Sat\Sun? I understand at a minimum each of us will need work gloves and a shovel.
Hey, no worries. And I will post up information as I have communication with Brian Rasmussen.

Those who can carry material can start on Friday afternoon at the Nederland Work Center to pick it up (primarily posts). This would be mid-afternoon, approximately 3-ish, but I will firm up the time with Brian.

Work will begin early Saturday. You can come up as late as 9, but earlier is better. Meet at Yankee Doodle Lake, which is an hours drive above Rollinsville, about an hour to 1.5 hours out of Denver. Bring a hat, 3 season clothing, sunscreen, water, a 5 gallon bucket for water as well

If we have a good turn out of workers on Sat. How much work would you anticipate being needed on Sunday. I can only make it one day so perhaps I should just come Sunday, to make sure that day is covered?
That is a tough call due to variability of conditions. If you can make one day, make it Saturday.

Which news papers\TV stations have been contacted? Would you like me to contact any more. Do we have a brief paragraph of our project that we could have them post? I can't remember how many posts were setting and the names of who the other people involved are.
Chris has spoken of this in the members' section; I would PM him.

Rumor has it that the Boulder Daily Camera's very strong bias (against those things that not only we would value, but many in the district) has come home to roost, and that they have not gotten stories and been scooped as a result. Recent stories on the Boulder Ranger District have been reported by the Louisville Times-Call, for instance, which got the Camera's attention. They have replaced the reporter who does this stuff, and now are eager to turn over a new leaf.

Whether this leaf is new enough, is the risk. Feel brave? Not sure I do. I'd go with the Longmont Times-Call, because they already have a series on the area and are pretty darn factual about what they report.

If you'd like to take point on this aspect, I gleefully defer to the Yodermeister.:cheers:

Last edited:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I now own a diesel tow rig and I have the 16' trailer. I have at least six 5 gallon buckets and about ten 30 gallon drums we can fill with water. I will be there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
YOU
SIR
ARE
DA
MAN

I really need a new line, I wear that one out around here... :thumb: :cheers:
:risingsun :yeahdude: :clap:

I spoke with Brian Rasmussen last night, my guesses on times at Nederland Work Center to pick up materials and ferry them to Yankee Doodle Lake are good ones. Friday 3-3:30PM, meet at the work center just north of downtown Ned up on the ridge just east of the Peak to Peak. I *believe* it is on Forest Road but will get specific directions and post a map after talking to Brian again.

Of course, if you are available earlier Friday you can certainly do that too... Brian's number is 303-541-2525 (direct line) if you want to meet him, Ranger Kevin, or their designate at the work center earlier in the day. The general line to the Boulder Ranger District is 303–541-2500 if he does not answer.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Here is a map of the Nederland Work Center location (red star) (534 Ridge Road, Nederland, 80466):

I just talked to Brian R; be sure to pull into the yard near the mailboxes. It should make more sense once we are up there. This is only a concern with larger trailers, blocking access, etc. (there is some expensive equipment there, so we need to identify ourselves to any concerned FS employees...)

Attachments

• Nederland Work Center.gif
    Nederland Work Center.gif
    29.5 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Bill
The water trailer I spoke to you about at the Rally is a no go as it is scheduled to leave the project this week. The hammerdrill for the whinch anchor is no problem. Do you know what size bit is needed ? Do we need epoxy anchors?
Dan

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
OK, np on the water; Treeroot is bringing a 30 gal. barrel for water. I have a smallish off-road-capable stakeside trailer (a 1985 minitruck, once dead, lives on!) which will probably be convenient for ferrying water and pipe down the hill if necessary, which I will bring.

On the winch point anchor, I am open to suggestions but I'm thinking we will need at least a 3/4" bolt. We do not yet have a winch shackle/attachment point built or designed; this would be an open item and if anyone has ideas for this or can close this issue by providing the hardware or pointing me to where it can be procured I'd be grateful. But the winch point does not absolutely have to happen this weekend - it would just be a very cool thing to check off.

If you can set an anchor for a 3/4" bolt, then we can install said bolt and shackle when we find what we need, that would be ideal. I do think an epoxy anchor is the way to go. Open to guidance on the bolt size BTW.

I just put in a call to Mike at Off Road Solutions to see if he has access to something like what I am describing, or can fab it. Christo at Slee also comes to mind as a resource.