Yankee Doodle Lake work project

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
As I mull this, I'm thinkin' 3/4" might be a tad light. Let's use a 1" bolt. What is the shear strength of a 1" Grade 8 bolt? Anyone have experience designing/fabbing a winch point?

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I'll be happy to try and work up some sort of press release today. Just for clarification, Brian is with the USFS, Boulder Ranger District? You said around 90 posts? How many feet of barrier is being erected? How many feet of wire is being purchased? How much concrete? This project, as I understand it is to keep motorized vehicles on the trail and off the fragile tundra/wetlands that border the Jenny Creek road around the Yankee Doodle Lake/Rollins Pass area. Please give me any more facts and information that should be included.

Thanks.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Shark Bait said:
I'll be happy to try and work up some sort of press release today.

Just for clarification, Brian is with the USFS, Boulder Ranger District? Yep. Contact person is Cat Luna, in charge of OHV recreation
You said around 90 posts? Yep.
How many feet of barrier is being erected? >700
How many feet of wire is being purchased? >1400
How much concrete? 9600 lbs.
We also arranged and contracted with the earthmoving operator to scarify the damaged areas and drill post holes.
This project, as I understand it is to keep motorized vehicles on the trail and off the fragile tundra/wetlands that border the Jenny Creek road around the Yankee Doodle Lake/Rollins Pass area. Yes. Rising Sun has been keenly interested in adopting Jenny Creek Road to stabilize and maintain the trail, and mitigate user impact in this popular area. With the Boulder Ranger District allowing us to adopt Jenny Creek (FDT808, & FDR502), we enthusiastically volunteered to assist them in remediating impacts in the wetlands near Yankee Doodle Lake, at the western terminus of FDT808 and the base of Boulder Wagon Road below Needle's Eye Tunnel. The use of our vehicles and equipment contribute significantly to the feasibility and affordability of completing this project as well.
Please give me any more facts and information that should be included. Jenny Creek Road, as part of the Boulder Stage Route, dates to the late 1800s and is an historic route. Yankee Doodle Lake was a favorite scenic stopping point on the Denver, Northwest & Pacific Railroad (The Moffat Road), which roughly followed the stage route, and is rich in Colorado history and an important part of our Colorado heritage.
Rising Sun 4x4 is a group of 4-wheel drive enthusiasts who own Toyota vehicles, and who prize the outdoors and outdoor recreation opportunities of all kinds. We take seriously our responsibility to make a visible and meaningful contribution to alleviating user impacts to public lands, and to enhancing the recreation experience of all public lands visitors. This project allows us to showcase our capabilities and our enthusiasm.

Thanks.
Howzzat?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Press Release

Here's the press release. So far it's been sent to CBS-4, Colorado's 7, KUSA, FOX-31, Denver Post, Colorado High Trails and TLCA.org. I should be getting the BRD's distribution list soon.

Rising Sun 4 Wheel Drive Club of Colorado, Inc.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

hatfieldcb@yahoo.com
303-805-9312 home
303-324-8751 cell

Four Wheel Drive Club Works with USFS to Protect Wetlands

Lakewood, Colorado -- August 23, 2006 -- Rising Sun 4 Wheel Drive Club of Colorado, Inc., will be working directly with US Forest Service representatives of the Boulder Ranger District to protect wetlands areas in the Roosevelt National Forest this weekend, Friday and Saturday, August 25 & 26, 2006.

The project involves installing 700 feet of barrier on the Jenny Creek Trail 4 Wheel Drive Road, FT 808, in Roosevelt National Forest where the trail re-joins Rollins Pass Road at Yankee Doodle Lake. The barrier is designed to keep motorized vehicles on the trail and protect fragile wetlands outside trail boundaries. Approximately $2500 worth of materials, including 90 metal posts, 1400 feet of 5/8” thick wire rope and 120 80-lb. bags of concrete is being donated by the Rising Sun 4WD Club for the project. Club members have also volunteered time and equipment to haul tools and supplies to the job site and will work hand-in-hand installing the barrier with other volunteers and US Forest Service personnel, under the direction of USFS project managers.

According to Bill Morgan, Land Use Coordinator for the Rising Sun 4WD club, “This project to protect, re-stabilize and replant the wetlands area at Jenny Creek Trail 4 Wheel Drive Road has been on the Forest Service’s list for some time. It came to our attention back in May of 2006 and we began working with them. We consider ourselves responsible off-road vehicle owners and we want to show our commitment to resource protection. We wanted to help eliminate the eyesore caused by irresponsible users. Rising Sun has been keenly interested in adopting Jenny Creek Road to stabilize and maintain the trail, and mitigate user impact in this popular area. With the Boulder Ranger

-more-
Four Wheel Drive Club Works to Protect Wetlands

District allowing us to adopt Jenny Creek (FT 808, & FR 502), we enthusiastically volunteered to assist them in remediating impacts in the wetlands near Yankee Doodle Lake, at the western terminus of FT 808 and the base of Boulder Wagon Road below Needle's Eye Tunnel. The use of our vehicles and equipment contribute significantly to the feasibility and affordability of completing this project as well. “

Jenny Creek Trail 4 Wheel Drive Road, as part of the Boulder Stage Route, dates to the late 1800s and is an historic route. Yankee Doodle Lake was a favorite scenic stopping point on the Denver, Northwest & Pacific Railroad (The Moffat Road), which roughly followed the stage route, and is rich in Colorado history and an important part of our Colorado heritage.

Rising Sun 4 Wheel Drive Club of Colorado– based in Lakewood, Colorado, was founded in 1981 and is a member of the Colorado Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs, the Toyota Land Cruiser Association, and the national United 4 Wheel Drive Association. Monies raised by club sponsored events and rallies are donated to organizations like Blue Ribbon Coalition, Tread Lightly!, Colorado Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition and others devoted to keeping trails open for responsible recreational users.

Rising Sun 4 Wheel Drive Club of Colorado
P.O. Box 260175
Lakewood, CO 80226
www.risingsun4sx4.com
www.tlca.org
www.hightrails.org
www.ufwda.org

US Forest Service
Cat Luna, OHV Ranger
Boulder Ranger District
2140 Yarmouth Avenue
Boulder, CO 80301
www.fs.fed.us/r2/arnf/about/organization/brd/index.shtml
303-541-2500

# # #

Last edited:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I will be there Saturday with my FJ45. It is a one ton truck, but I have hauled more than a ton and a half with it before. Where should I go? It appears that that main material hauling from the Nederland work center is planned for Friday afternoon. Will there be additional need for material hauling from there to the work location? Speaking of the work location, I saw a map of the Nederland work center, but where can I find a map of where we are actually going to be working? What's the route?

TIA!

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Yeah, that looks chilly. Bill said 3 season apparel. I'm thinking, winter, cold, and rough sledding. Thanks for the map, but...Bill how's about the rest of the answers?

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
OK. Just blasted the PR out to most of the world in this area. Let's see who shows up! :lmao:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
weather guess

:rolleyes:

Attachments

• rollinsville-weather.jpg
    rollinsville-weather.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 219

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Just for info I plan on hauling the RS Grill up to Jenny Creek so if ya wanna bring grilling stuff have at it! :thumb:

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
treerootCO said:
work site is East of the Lake by a...er. :( At least I'll be driving the 80. :D

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Most Excellent Press Release! Shoot one to the Times-Call if you can. We only contributed a part of all that material, not the whole thing, but that is a minor nit.

My most recent correspondence with Brian is below, in whole, and may answer some questions. We will probably get all the material hauled up Friday, so for Saturday meet at Yankee Doodle Lake at 8AM with a workin' frame of mind! (YDL is on Rollins Pass Road, above East Portal, about an hour west of Rollinsville which is 1-1.5 hours from Denver on the Peak to Peak highway between Nederland and Central City).
Brian, to answer your questions:
I was wondering how many people will be there Friday and Saturday? Not sure Friday, though there will be core people. I would hazard a guess of 6-8 people.
I was wondering how many people will be there Friday night and Saturday night? I don't have a confirmed list, but at our last meeting almost the whole club raised their hands. That would be about 35 people, but in reality I would guess closer to 20. Saturday night folks will probably dwindle to the 6-8 above.
Where are you planning to camp? Any darn place I can! The area tends to be busy so if I have to I'll camp on the shoulder of the road by the lake, in the wide spot near where the narrow gauge started their tunnel dig back in the day. If there are unclaimed areas, I'd prefer either just south of the lake on the hill, or in one of the dispersed areas near the work area east of the road. I probably won't have a campfire anyway; too much trouble. I *think* Nakman (Tim Nakari) is planning some kind of BBQ and campfire. I prefer a stove and gas lanterns.

The water tank trailer did not work out. Treeroot (Mike) is bringing a 30 gallon barrel. Uncle Ben (Kevin) is bringing 5-gallon buckets that the manager of Home Depot donated, not sure of the quantity. I've got three five-gallon containers, one of which will have potable water for me. Do you guys have a 12V or gas greywater pump by chance? That would make short work of refilling.

I have built a single-axle stakeside trailer that will be convenient for distributing posts and concrete over rough terrain, if necessary.

I'm stoked! I have too much packing and such to do tonight to make the BRDOHV meeting. I plan on showing up at work at 5:30 AM and leaving at noon, which should put me at Ned around 3-3:30 with Treeroot and Uncle Ben, who have gooseneck trailers and turbo diesel trucks. Uncle Ben is hauling all 9600 lbs of concrete in one load.

-Bill Morgan

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 6:55 PM
To: Bill Morgan
Cc: Kevin McDermott
Subject: More information - Yankee Doodle

Hi Bill,

Here is some more information to distribute and a few questions.

I was wondering how many people will be there Friday and Saturday?
I was wondering how many people will be there Friday night and Saturday night?
Were are you planning to camp?
There are no Fire Bans in effect.

Please ask everyone to bring full water jugs for concrete water. We have some jugs to haul up on Friday. Let us know if you came up with a water tank. We should not need more than 100 gallons. Perhaps we can come up with 15 or 20 5-gallon jugs We can refill water jugs from the lake using buckets. Bring buckets too. Ready mix suggests 3/4 gallons per bag of concrete.

The people meeting at the Forest Service Work Center on Ridge Road on Friday at 3-ish need to know that the obscure driveway is located about 100 yards east of the DOT yard with the chain link fence. Our driveway has an open gate with a chainsaw mailbox and the address 534 and 560 on it.
Please pull in 100 feet and stop on the right without blocking fire engine access. This is where Kevin will meet you and direct you to the stuff to haul. The Map Quest map that was emailed out will tell you how to find Ridge Road from downtown Nederland.

I imagine everyone knows to bring basic safety gear and clothing:

Long pants
Sturdy boots
Leather gloves
Sunscreen and Rain gear
Drinking water and food
Dust mask - optional for concrete
Eye protection
and more

This ought to be a blast!!!!

Brian D. Rasmussen
Recreation Technician
Boulder Ranger District
(303) 541-2525
bdrasmussen@fs.fed.us

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Rollinsville map, and Rollins Pass map showing route in red, with the project area in green:

Attachments

• Rollinsville.gif
    Rollinsville.gif
    57.8 KB · Views: 220
  • Rollins_Pass_East.gif
    Rollins_Pass_East.gif
    20.3 KB · Views: 227

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
My guesses on attendance are conservative I think. We'll see. If I could do anything different, it would be keeping better track of volunteers, sorry 'bout that. But this is a great project to be part of, and is gathering a lot of interest from participants! The excitement is generating a lot of anticipation, and frankly, it's gonna be a work pah-tay, with the emphasis on pah-tay after working all day. For participants, my sense is that the work load will not be nearly as great as the work accomplished at the end of the day. What a blast!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see our pix in a paper or two. Or even more... What a great PR thing for the motorized community, and it sets a different kind of image for young OHVers than just blasting through the mudholes and woods in those commercials we keep seeing.

If we have enough people, my plan is to create small work groups, with a water hauler, concrete tamper/mixer, and pipe positioner in each group (roles switching at will). We can leapfrog each other. With enough people we should make short work of setting 90 posts; even so, the skidsteer postholer operator will have little problem staying ahead of us.

Dry-tamping the post concrete and stabilizing the posts with rock should allow us to string cable the same day. We shall look to Uncle Ben for schoolin' on postsetting technology; word has it he has set a post or two in his day.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Mike Caskey has volunteered to construct a solid winch point... :thumb: :cheers: :beer:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Shark Bait said:
Crikey, it'll be 2 hours or more from Parker. :( At least I'll be driving the 80. :D
From Parker plan on closer to three. Unless you want to go 60 on Rollins Pass Road. Even an FZJ80 is likely to experience some cappucino mishaps under those conditions.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Red_Chili said:
From Parker plan on closer to three. Unless you want to go 60 on Rollins Pass Road. Even an FZJ80 is likely to experience some cappucino mishaps under those conditions.
Actually didn't spill much! :rolleyes: :cool: :thumb: :hill:

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I did notify the Longmont paper.

Monica Clay at Tread Lightly! is going to post the information on their website and ask for volunteers.

Jeanette and I will be there. We'll try and bring water.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
It occurs to me that the 5 gal. buckets marked in 3/4 gal. increments could be priceless. Each bag of concrete takes 3/4 gal.