Yankee Doodle Lake work project

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Tentative date [EDIT: now it is not tentative! It's real [/EDIT] is August 25th, 26th, and 27th for the Rising Sun 4x4 Club Post-n-Cable Party. I'd like to set up some kind of overnight, with camping, mebbe guitars and Cum-Bay-Yah. Or, that failing, BBQ and suds.

You folks who had leads on skid steers, post hole diggers, and flatbed trailers for hauling up the posts, concrete, maybe a mixer and the cable, that would be the date as of today. Make arrangements, be there or be square!

This is a tremendous opportunity for Rising Sun to make a very visible difference in a high traffic area - and not many groups can do it as well as we can!

We'll talk more about it at the June meeting. For anyone interested, the Boulder Ranger District OHV Committee is meeting tonight (5/25) at 5PM, at the Ranger Station on Yarmouth (north side of Boulder on the main drag).

Last edited:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Oh... and why not a raffle too? Anyone with contacts in the industry, shake the tree...

wesintl

RS Moderator
Bill,
I think we need to do a different weekend. The 19th is the day before the Rally.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Yeah, we've been planning on having some runs the day before the Rally so that people who come in from out-of-town can make a weekend of it.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
What happened to July 30? That's what I have my calendar marked for...

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Sorry, the date is determined by a lot of other things. I can look into it, but I'm not sure it's movable at this point... :( But I will ask.

We plan on going up Friday night the 18th, maybe doing some initial posthole digging, then the fur flies Saturday.

Rats. I blew it by not floating the date earlier, I do know July was a problem when we talked about it last meeting due to the ghost town run in close proximity. The weekend of the 19th *was* in the summary that Nakman posted on the last BRDOHV meeting... but that's not an easy thing to focus on, there was a lot of info there. For that matter, *is* there a good date that is not in proximity with an event?

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
what about the weekend before?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I put in a feeler to Brian and Cat... the problem is they need to have time to get the hydrologist and archeologist reports done, and the archeologist has to be there when we work just in case... Gov't work. But that does give them three months to shift a week.

Here's hopin'.:eek: :eek: Sorry guys...
[EDIT] moving it earlier won't work, due to reports that have to be completed by the USFS first, see below...[/EDIT]

Last edited:

wesintl

RS Moderator
I have been in the habit of anyone that wants a sticky for their run or if they are planning a run or event that it must be posted on the calendar. I'm also thinking of adding the date to the thread title of every Official Run or event so that it's clear when it is.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
One stop shopping makes sense. Second best would be a direct link on the page I suppose. Again, my error.
It's not like I could have missed this on the RS home page for pitie's sake.... :(

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Just talked to Brian Rasmussen. He needs to juggle when the archaeologist is there to make it happen, but the date is slipped *out* a week to August 25th, 26th, and 27th. I plan on heading up there Friday after work and meeting them there, bringing camping equipment and some food.

So if you want to be part of the work party, with varying emphases on 'work' and 'pah-tay', join me! We hope to start punching holes Friday late afternoon to speed the work on Saturday.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
When will you know for sure?

On the dates of this work session?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I'm 90% sure right now. It can't be later, because of schedules at the USFS and the revegetation effort and Labor Day, and it can't be earlier because of the Rally and because the week before the Rally stuff won't be done at the USFS. Some schedules need to be shuffled but it pretty much *has* to happen 8/25-27.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
[grouse and moan post] Sheesh, it ain't even summer and we ain't got no free weekends already yet! Sucks to get old.

But it beats the only known alternative.... [end_whine]

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Red_Chili said:
[grouse and moan post] Sheesh, it ain't even summer and we ain't got no free weekends already yet! Sucks to get old.

But it beats the only known alternative.... [end_whine]

I feel your pain senior! :bawl:
nopity.gif

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Update on Yankee Doodle project- logistics

Hello all-
The materials for the Yankee Doodle project will be staged at the USFS Nederland Work Center. Transportation of materials from the various vendors to the work center would be a significant expense to the Boulder Ranger District, so volunteering to transport these materials as we are able will be a gratefully received contribution! Staging at the Nederland Work Center will allow us to collect the materials over a few weeks, easing the logistics challenges.

Then on Friday, 8/25, we will then need to transport the whole lot to the Yankee Doodle Lake project site. A few trailers and full size pickups should do the deed.

I may have a class scheduled that Friday evening* (won't know for sure until the week before), so I would like to have a point person take charge of the materials logistics. This person will work with Brian Rasmussen [bdrasmussen@fs.fed.us] and arrange transport from the various vendors to Nederland as we are able, and then transport from the Nederland work center to the project site on 8/25.

Who would like to take that on? Mike, I know you mentioned transportation, feel up to it?

* I will be setting up my camp late that Friday if the class happens.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
i have to work friday, but i have a small utility trailer that people can use to haul stuff up, and i'll be up saturday if some stuff can wait until then.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
How late do you work Friday? I need to work as well, but plan on taking off as soon as possible if the class Friday night doesn't happen. I can get out three-ish.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Some additional info: when Tim and I reviewed the work to be done a couple weeks ago, I proposed installing a winch point on the rock at the head of where the major drift forms every year. This is the drift that causes all the bypass creation that Treeroot has noted in other threads. I had my doubts, because the Boulder Ranger District tends to be exceptionally sensitive to liability and legal exposure.

Well... I just heard back from Brian at the BRD: the USFS approved the winch point. Feels good to propose an idea that will have a direct effect on improving the conditions on the ground, and it gets approved!

Not only will this dissuade those with winches from creating bypasses, it will be more fun to bust the drift every year to boot!

BeatDown84FJ60

Rock Stacker
I would like to go but Im not sure if Ill be a paid up member and voted in by then. Im tight as bvds on a whale when it comes to money right now especially getting my cruiser roadworthy. I would still like to donate my time if possible though. Is that acceptable or do I need to be a full rising sun member?