Whats the name of the little seat that trails behind a bike for kiddos?

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
howdy-

I don't even know what to search for.

What do you call one of those little contraptions that allows you to stick your kiddo in and pull them around with your bike?

Thanks- :thumb:

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Tag-along. Trail-a-bike. We had one for a little while. Problem is they are kind of big for small kids. By the time they can actually pedal the thing. They can ride a 16" wheel bike and keep up pretty well. My kids were off training wheel bikes before age 4 (12" wheels) Now they are both on 16"wheels. The tag-a-longs are 20" wheels.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
The trailers are made by Burley. The one wheeled bike with pedals were originally made by Trailabike but there are lots of manufacturers now.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Or do you meen a Chariot Trailer? or Child Carrier? Kids need to be age 1 to tow them behind a bike.

cbmontgo

Hard Core 4+
Hey Drew...check "bike trailer" on CL. That's where you'll find most of them.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
bike trailer was the winner. thanks guys. Any opinion on this setup? I am thinking of an old school seat for over the rear tire or on the handle bars. My boy is 11 months.

You dudes rock, thanks!

coax

Hard Core 4+
Plus when your kids outgrow them they can be used for other things :-D (or can be sold to people like me to do other things with them!) 5 pair skis, 4 pair boots, 1 cooler with hamburgers!

Attachments

• DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 283

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
We've done them all: bike trailer, tag-along, and the extra seat over the rear tire. Everything but the tag-along works well for a kid < 4. The bike trailers are nice because usually they fit 2 kids + some gear, but they can be spendy. The over-the-seat chair is nice because it is easy and simple, but it does make the bike more susceptible to rear tire blow outs with all the extra weight.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Tag-along. Trail-a-bike. We had one for a little while. Problem is they are kind of big for small kids. By the time they can actually pedal the thing. They can ride a 16" wheel bike and keep up pretty well. My kids were off training wheel bikes before age 4 (12" wheels) Now they are both on 16"wheels. The tag-a-longs are 20" wheels.

Secondary problem is it's kinda spooky when you look back and the kid's head is laying on the handlebars and they are asleep! :eek: :rolleyes:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
We started out with a Burley Solo trailer. Fine for a baby, extremely safe, good for naps, you can also haul all the stuff for a picnic. On the downside, your kid is disconnected from you and it slows you down. We bought the Solo because it's for one kid only: smaller and lighter. By the time we were ready to take Charlie for a ride, Maddie had graduated to the next item on my list.

Burley-Solo.jpg

When the kids got a little bigger (age 2), we switched to the Topeak BabySeat which mounts over the rear tire. This one was my favorite and the kids both loved it too. Maddie used to sing me songs as we would ride along the bike trail. If you're a strong, well-balanced biker, you'll have no problem with this. It always made my wife nervous, but I loved it and so did both of our kids.

bike-seat.jpg

Next we got the Alley Cat Bicycle Trailer, which turns your bike into kind of a tandem by adding a handlebar, wheel, seat and pedals behind your bike. There are lots of manufacturers that make these -- ours is kind of a cheap one. Kids aren't ready for this until they are 5 or 6 (IMO). I'm still kind of ambivalent about this one. Unless your kid can ride a bike without training wheels, it's kind of a PITA to have a kid back behind you, leaning to one side, and then having to compensate for this yourself.

alley-cat.jpg

Eventually, your kids will lose the training wheels and can start riding their own bicycles when you go for a ride. :)

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
One of the coolest kid seats I've seen is what this dude did for his Xtracycle.

web-thumbs-up.jpg

http://www.bicycletimesmag.com/content/kids-and-cargo

Another I saw that looked pretty cool and was recently reviewed was the iBert safe-T-seat.

ibert_02.jpg

http://www.ibertinc.com/theseat/

Oh, and BTW, I can confirm that when they say max weight 75 lbs or whatever, that might mean a child but is equally applicable to a pony keg of beer. Those harnesses might be good at holding kids (dunno) but also just peachy at keep your Fat Tire from rolling out, too. :)

jacdaw

Hard Core 4+
from the iBert page: >>Buy a second stinger assembly for your spouse's bike and you can switch the seat between the two bikes in a matter of seconds.<<

And leave the uncovered stinger attached and facing your crotch and guts?!? Are you kidding me?:eek:
ibert_05.jpg
ibert_04.jpg

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
from the iBert page: >>Buy a second stinger assembly for your spouse's bike and you can switch the seat between the two bikes in a matter of seconds.<<

And leave the uncovered stinger attached and facing your crotch and guts?!? Are you kidding me?:eek:
LOL! No way...

The review in Bicycle Times showed the iBert on the front and pair of panniers on the rear rack so it was a very legitimate errands running bike for a parent.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Spend the money, get a good trailer. Kids up that high are an accident waiting to happen. I've seen too many adults crash on bikes to think that a kid on the toptube is a good idea.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
A guy I work with at Amgen invented this little deal...supposed to be an improvement on other designs due to the low center of gravity and other advantages. He lives near me (in the Broadlands) and offers slight discounts to us. They are more expensive, but I've heard they work very well and are adjustable as your kid grows.

http://www.weehooinc.com/

P

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
A guy I work with at Amgen invented this little deal...supposed to be an improvement on other designs due to the low center of gravity and other advantages. He lives near me (in the Broadlands) and offers slight discounts to us. They are more expensive, but I've heard they work very well and are adjustable as your kid grows.

http://www.weehooinc.com/

P

Very cool. I would have bought one.

Phrog

I have a Burley I'd be happy to sell. My kid never took to it.
PM me if interested - I'll email pix, you make me a reasonable offer.

-Phrog

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
I have a Burley I'd be happy to sell. My kid never took to it.
PM me if interested - I'll email pix, you make me a reasonable offer.

-Phrog

PM sent.:thumb: