What have you done to your rig today?

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Weather was nice enough yesterday to pull out the 84 FJ60 and install my refurbished original radio. Sounds great with the factory speakers too!

radio.jpg

SaintAgatha

Rising Sun Member
Anyone want to guess what we were up to on the 80 today?
PSA to change your plug wires *before* they rot to death and you have to dig them out piece by piece with a dental pick.

Attachments

• 20240425_141550.jpg
    20240425_141550.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 27

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Newbumperarama.

Main body is 4xinnovation standard hitch. Used Adam's hinge and I'm totally to blame for the swing out.

I lost a little clearance but have a fully rated tow hitch again and the bike rack can swing out to make life a lot easier. The unistrut is roughly similar to the stock utility rails Toyota put in the Tacoma so I have some mount ideas for stuff on the back. I like being able to change things without cutting and welding since I don't plan on hanging too much back there. A single jerry water can, Hi-Lift, shovel maybe. See what works. Figure then for long 4wd trips I can change out the bike rack for a basket for a bunch of jerry cans for fuel and water.

This was the parallel winter/spring project with the new head on the 22R in the '85.

IMG_3792_mid.jpg

IMG_3797_mid.jpg

IMG_3803_mid.jpg

IMG_3795_mid.jpg

Last edited:

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
IMG_20240429_183951623_HDR.jpg

Polished the yellowed headlights on the Sequoia. Used the Mother's kit as it had a drill attachment. Came out pretty damn good.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Working on a neighbor's '57 F250 as a labor trade for paint work he's doing for me. Super clean truck. So, so simple to work on... possibly the fastest compression test I have ever accomplished. Oh, for the days of vehicles so simple to work on. He's going to leave that sweet patina and clear over the existing paint.

Attachments

• P1040999.JPG
    P1040999.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 23
  • P1040985.JPG
    P1040985.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 19

RDub

Brings back great memories. First vehicle was a ‘65 F100 with a 240D straight six that I drove in high school and early college. As said, easiest motor to work on. I could stand in the engine compartment with my feet on the ground. Loved that truck.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Working on a neighbor's '57 F250 as a labor trade for paint work he's doing for me. Super clean truck. So, so simple to work on... possibly the fastest compression test I have ever accomplished. Oh, for the days of vehicles so simple to work on. He's going to leave that sweet patina and clear over the existing paint.

Damn, that looks clean and straight as can be! And that patina 🤤

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
That’s really nice! We LS swapped my 78 and the wiring wasn’t too bad, we’re LS swapping a 58 Apache now and there’s like 3 wires in it. It’s awesome

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
now that it's running right, how do you like it compared to the 4Runner??
I'll be honest I like it better so far. V8, much more plush suspension (which I want to retain and that probably means dropping 3g on some Dobinson IMS so that I can adjust between street on trail), more gadgets (I especially like the automatic climate control that even goes to third row), radio is in a MUCH better spot for the 10.1" screen for backup cam and navigation, actual cupholders (a ton of them too), did I mention that V8 power? She's definitely not going to be quite as capable on the trail because of the breakover and departure angles but honestly they won't be that far off from all the LCs in the club. Might be a while yet till I wheel it on harder stuff but I'm looking forward to some more chill wheeling. I think it would probably handle Argentine fine now with the 33s and some careful driving so that I don't bang up my transfer case or trans. Not quite sure if it could do the shelf road without draggin ass though.

Capriblue45

Rising Sun Member
Spent a chunk of the day tuning the 1970 FJ40 that I am going to give my Daughter to start her in the hobby. I bought this 2 years ago as part of a 2 truck deal with the intention of getting it running and reselling it. It had been sitting in the PO's driveway for 20 years due to dodgy brakes, rough running and the usual 40 series rust. I have replaced the front axle with a disc brake axle from a "76" 40 and rebuilt the rears with all new parts. The rough running was no more than just a good tune and a carb rebuild. I cut out the rust and welded in new steel and primered. Now I get to try my hand at matching the patina on the rest of the rig. Still need to put a clutch in it along with a new rear main and T-case seals. The PO got this from his dad who purchased it new and gave it to him in 1982 as a wedding gift. Cool story with cool patina I could not bring myself to sell it, so it is going to my daughter for her 30th birthday.

Attachments

• 40-1.jpg
    40-1.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 40-2.jpg
    40-2.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 40-4.jpg
    40-4.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 40-5.jpg
    40-5.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 19

SaintAgatha

Rising Sun Member
Spent a chunk of the day tuning the 1970 FJ40 that I am going to give my Daughter to start her in the hobby. I bought this 2 years ago as part of a 2 truck deal with the intention of getting it running and reselling it. It had been sitting in the PO's driveway for 20 years due to dodgy brakes, rough running and the usual 40 series rust. I have replaced the front axle with a disc brake axle from a "76" 40 and rebuilt the rears with all new parts. The rough running was no more than just a good tune and a carb rebuild. I cut out the rust and welded in new steel and primered. Now I get to try my hand at matching the patina on the rest of the rig. Still need to put a clutch in it along with a new rear main and T-case seals. The PO got this from his dad who purchased it new and gave it to him in 1982 as a wedding gift. Cool story with cool patina I could not bring myself to sell it, so it is going to my daughter for her 30th birthday.
LOVE this. If your daughter needs a crusin' buddy, I am her woman. 😍😍😍

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
Genni came to me from deep in the hills of Arkansas. I find all of the BEST engineering on her. /insert sarcasm here.
There was a TON of lights on it before I got it. But the wiring was all horribly cobbled together. I've already had to replace the switch for the radiator fan that was horribly under rated for the draw. (Replacing the manual switch with a temperature switch is on my mile long list.)
I had bought an Auxbeam switch panel last year, & finally got around to installing it. I ripped out ALL of that sketchy wiring & will slowly reroute & replace the wiring to the various lights that I'll retain or replace as I go. The Auxbeam panel & circuit breaker are nicely mounted inside the engine bay, & the switch panel cable is nicely routed into the cab. I haven't yet decided where I'm going to permanently mount the switch panel, so I'm going to try it out in a few places first.
20240502_123146.jpg
20240423_171146.jpg

20240502_115331.jpg

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
Sonora has felt left out with all of the other trucks getting all of my attention.... So I gave her a couple new decals today too. 🤣🤣 You know sometimes it's the little things that make girls happy!! 🫶
20240502_133347.jpg