Toyota EV Lineup

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Anyone know what a new battery on a Rivian will cost?

The fact that there will eventually be battery replacements not made by the EV companies, I can’t wait for people to figure out they won’t be allowed to do so because I pretty much guarantee they will say it’s a safety issue so therefore pay $20,000 or buy a new vehicle. I can’t wait to not have the right to work on something you paid for. Yay! Technology and innovation is so cool!

The real costs of EVs will become apparent over the next years. Have to acknowledge that a battery pack can be refurbished, which Tesla has no interest in doing and thus the #20k replacement quotes. Even now in the infancy of the market you can repair your battery to get more life from it.

Although replacing the bad cells or modules doesn't get you another 100k. The cost/benefit may or may not be worth it. Say you spend $5k repairing you battery but in a year you start finding other cells hitting their end of life so you spend another $5k to do the others every year. until you've replaced them all anyway. You're probably just spreading the $20k over time in reality.

But even assuming electricity was free take that $20k as expected cost similar to calculating fuel cost over the life of a car.

Say the pack goes 100k miles and compare that to a perhaps a 30 MPG car.

100,000 miles / 30 MPG = 3333.3 gallons x $3.50/gal = $11,666.67.

So to make it financially equivalent the pack would actually need to do $20k / $3.50/gal = 5,714 gallons * 30 MPG = 171,428 miles.

But electricity isn't free.

So won't it be the ultimate irony if in a few years when the real costs of an EV start to become apparent you start seeing people converting Teslas to gas engines.

Like a small block Tesla!

Or just made into the hybrids they really should be economically...

Last edited:

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
The real costs of EVs will become apparent over the next years. Have to acknowledge that a battery pack can be refurbished, which Tesla has no interest in doing and thus the #20k replacement quotes. Even now in the infancy of the market you can repair your battery to get more life from it.

Although replacing the bad cells or modules doesn't get you another 100k. The cost/benefit may or may not be worth it. Say you spend $5k repairing you battery but in a year you start finding other cells hitting their end of life so you spend another $5k to do the others every year. until you've replaced them all anyway. You're probably just spreading the $20k over time in reality.

But even assuming electricity was free take that $20k as expected cost similar to calculating fuel cost over the life of a car.

Say the pack goes 100k miles and compare that to a perhaps a 30 MPG car.

100,000 miles / 30 MPG = 3333.3 gallons x $3.50/gal = $11,666.67.

So to make it financially equivalent the pack would actually need to do $20k / $3.50/gal = 5,714 gallons * 30 MPG = 171,428 miles.

But electricity isn't free.

So won't it be the ultimately irony if in a few years when the real costs of an EV start to become apparent you start seeing people converting Teslas to gas engines.

Like a small block Tesla!

Or just made into the hybrids they really should be economically...

I’ve refurbished my both of my prius battery packs, and also bought equipment to valence the batteries. So it won’t be a surprise to watch this happen with Tesla. But at least with Toyota it’s $2500 used once you turn the old one in if you just want a new pack. The fact Tesla wants to charge the same amount the car cost should be a warning they are no different than any other car manufacturer.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
One example I'd point to is Telsa's autopilot has bugs that has been causing their cars to crash into parked emergency vehicles. At night especially it appears the system can get confused by the intensity and frequency of the flashing lights.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/teslas-keep-crashing-emergency-vehicles/

In this case the system is arguably the opposite of saving lives compared to an alert human brain. Some of it is implicitly marketing this features as "self driving" where it is not, so the operator bears responsibility for believing the hype.
Consequence of marketing hype meeting reality.

This poor fella's Tesla ran a red light and killed two people. He's charged with vehicular manslaughter, not the car's fault nor anyone at Tesla.

Tesla sells their "self driving" feature but caveats that you can't ever stop monitoring it and give you a steering wheel that you're supposed to hold all the time. So is the car driving itself or not? Legally it's pretty clear.