• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

For Sale Todays Craigslist Highlights...Part 3

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Anyways, it's becoming a TDI 45 daily. Next project once I wrap this current one.
Oh I wouldn't have bought it without a title.

Hope you write that up. When doing an engine swap is there still an advantage to going later model 80 vs early 90s? axles?

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready
Oh I wouldn't have bought it without a title.

Hope you write that up. When doing an engine swap is there still an advantage to going later model 80 vs early 90s? axles?

I really like the look and feel of slightly wider axles for trail running. I like the later 80 axles for the disk rears. Other than that, the body is off to someone who wants it, and I keep the chassis and t-case. Too much computer for my liking.

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready
I'll definitely be writing that up when I get to it.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

Crafty. An 80 chop would be spacious.
It's the weight that makes it really unappealing. I think this build looks like it has a bunch of quality to go with it, but the weight of this thing, compared to something else makes it unappealing to me personally. I do find these type of builds pretty cool and the craftmanship is really good from the pictures, or at least it is IMO.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
It's the weight that makes it really unappealing. I think this build looks like it has a bunch of quality to go with it, but the weight of this thing, compared to something else makes it unappealing to me personally. I do find these type of builds pretty cool and the craftmanship is really good from the pictures, or at least it is IMO.

Somewhere there is a photo of an 80 done like that. I will try to find it.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
80 train.

Attachments

• 25066820086_e01fdec6c5_c.jpg
    25066820086_e01fdec6c5_c.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 144

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
80 train.
That's a lot cleaner, they changed the axel out to a standard axel which is good, I still wonder what the weight of it is. I tend to think having a TACO bed not a 80 is what I would like to have if I did this. Or maybe even converting a TACO bed to a flatbed trailer.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
That's a lot cleaner, they changed the axel out to a standard axel which is good, I still wonder what the weight of it is. I tend to think having a TACO bed not a 80 is what I would like to have if I did this. Or maybe even converting a TACO bed to a flatbed trailer.

I've considered the taco bed route. Really wish I bought the 40 tub trailer @nakman was selling a while back. I was ready for the project but the wallet said no.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I've considered the taco bed route. Really wish I bought the 40 tub trailer @nakman was selling a while back. I was ready for the project but the wallet said no.

Yeah... That would have been a cool project. I personally like the m416 trailer, I was able to find one in really good condition that wasn't put together. I've been able to source a lot of stuff for it and there are a lot of good examples of people making them into great trailers used for off-road/overland use.

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
well your neighbor @rckhound bought it, I'm sure it could be for sale again! Though probably not at the same price, as I know he's been working on it..

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
well your neighbor @rckhound bought it, I'm sure it could be for sale again! Though probably not at the same price, as I know he's been working on it..
I'd love to see what it looks like and what plans he has for it.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Yeah... That would have been a cool project. I personally like the m418 trailer, I was able to find one in really good condition that wasn't put together. I've been able to source a lot of stuff for it and there are a lot of good examples of people making them into great trailers used for off-road/overland use.

I look at the m418 and other military trailer all the time on auction sites. Always worried it would be a little heavy for the 80 to pull well.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
And that trailer is sweet! I still beilieve my 40 version is the only one like it...

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I look at the m418 and other military trailer all the time on auction sites. Always worried it would be a little heavy for the 80 to pull well.

The m416 (I mistype m418) is really light. It's 500 pounds empty. Mine empty will be more as I'm adding a axel with an e-locker, and putting 33" type E tires on it. Actually they will be my Toyo's coming off of my 4runner when I upgrade those. I would stay away from auction sites and look into groups on Facebook and say you are looking for one. I found mine from a guy that got one that just never got around to actually finishing his project.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
The m416 (I mistype m418) is really light. It's 500 pounds empty. Mine empty will be more as I'm adding a axel with an e-locker, and putting 33" type E tires on it. Actually they will be my Toyo's coming off of my 4runner when I upgrade those. I would stay away from auction sites and look into groups on Facebook and say you are looking for one. I found mine from a guy that got one that just never got around to actually finishing his project.

Despite being one of the younger folks here I have absolutely no social media. I think it is the worst thing that has happened to mankind since the bubonic plague. Topic for another thread......

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
@3rdGen4R re: weight Phillip you're spot on.. I bet that 80 trailer is 2000 pounds easy. I need to weigh mine officially, but best guess is right around 1500 pounds. Actually one of the reasons I didn't use the hard doors (purchased from @rckhound actually just to tie two random conversations together) is to reduce weight, once I got the hard top on there the whole thing started feeling really heavy... so I went with soft doors. And funny, I bought those from Steve also, but like 3 years prior.

I should probably do a build thread for this thing... the big plan was to unveil it at Cruise Moab last year, which didn't happen, and since there won't be a vendor night this year I'm tempted to not drag it out there this year either, as the whole point was to have a spectacle that folks would want to hang out in/around, and that's just not part of the event this year.

I'll bring it up to Argentine in June though. ;)

IMG_2027.jpg
IMG_2028.jpg
IMG_2029.jpg
IMG_2032.jpg
IMG_2033.jpg

DJI_0081.JPG

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Despite being one of the younger folks here I have absolutely no social media. I think it is the worst thing that has happened to mankind since the bubonic plague. Topic for another thread......
Im sorry to say I agree with you. I logged out of Facebook months ago and it’s been a good thing for me. A lot of my military friends have accounts and it’s really the only way I stay in contact with them. My close military friends I talk with probably every week at least, but it’s nice to stay up to date with some of those people’s lives.

But when I’m looking for different things I’ll log into Facebook just to get information or see what’s for sell. But I understand you sentiment to it.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
@3rdGen4R re: weight Phillip you're spot on.. I bet that 80 trailer is 2000 pounds easy. I need to weigh mine officially, but best guess is right around 1500 pounds. Actually one of the reasons I didn't use the hard doors (purchased from @rckhound actually just to tie two random conversations together) is to reduce weight, once I got the hard top on there the whole thing started feeling really heavy... so I went with soft doors. And funny, I bought those from Steve also, but like 3 years prior.

I should probably do a build thread for this thing... the big plan was to unveil it at Cruise Moab last year, which didn't happen, and since there won't be a vendor night this year I'm tempted to not drag it out there this year either, as the whole point was to have a spectacle that folks would want to hang out in/around, and that's just not part of the event this year.

I'll bring it up to Argentine in June though. ;)

View attachment 92812View attachment 92813View attachment 92814View attachment 92815View attachment 92816

View attachment 92817

ok. This thing looks really cool. I can’t wait to see it in person and do a walk around! You should bring it to CM either way as we may not have a vender night, but people will still be looking over everyone’s rig and such!